Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Mastroianni - Worth a shot at 2B?

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mastroianni - Worth a shot at 2B?

I'm sure this has been discussed in a thread before but I haven't seen one out there on this subject so I thought I would bring it up. Going into next season the Twins obviously have a lot of needs to make them a competitive team. While watching a game the other day I heard it mentioned that Gardy is trying to get Mastroainni into every game if possible. However, the complications with this is the Twins current outfield is pretty much set with Revere, Span and Willingham and the outfield is the one area of need the Twins don't need to address in the Minor league system at this time. However the Twins have needs at both the Major League level and in the Minors for middle infield help. At this point in the season I think it is clear the Twins are going to move on without Casilla after the season, Nishioka is pretty much done as Twin and Carroll has 1 season left and has been great but lacks a bat that scares anyone. Add to that the fact Dozier is back in AAA and Florimon hasn't even played a game yet and I think Mastroianni deserves a shot at 2nd base. He seems to have the qualities of a good second baseman, high on base percentage, speed, hustle and seems to have occasional power. He's played an inning this year at 2B, and has played a little bit in the minors. What would be a reason to not try him there as a long-term option? What does everyone else think about this and do you think it is even a possibility that the Twins would try it?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 183 Posts

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I feel like I have read this before.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes give him a shot....probably not til ST thougth although he could play winter ball at 2B somewhere.

I like the idea, but Gardenhire is really critical of his infielders, especially middle infield, so he would have a very short leash.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,250 Times in 498 Posts
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I apologize. I see this was brought up just a few days ago.. Can I delete my post on here somehow as not to look like I'm hijacking somene elses ideas?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loosey View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed in a thread before
    The search box at the top of each page is your friend here. Admittedly, for this player you may have to try variations like Mastrionni or Macaroni before being sure.

/edit: Oops, sorry, didn't see your followup when I began typing, but it's still worth noting the Search feature in case you or others missed it, so I won't delete.