Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Delmon Young traded one year ago today

  1. #1

    Delmon Young traded one year ago today

    With DET
    146gms 576ABs .267/.296/.415 67runs 23doubles 1triples 20Hrs 79rbi 0/2sb 103k 21bb
    only 65 of those starts in LF....something MN failed to realize (might have devasted him) would benefit the team
    Very average player.....what a waste

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Posts
    1,655
    Like
    26
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Don't you mean "sold one year ago" -- here we go....
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,902
    Like
    443
    Liked 585 Times in 316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Don't you mean "sold one year ago" -- here we go....

    Are you saying it's ok to sell a.........nevermind.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,007
    Like
    1,150
    Liked 659 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Don't you mean "sold one year ago" -- here we go....

    Are you saying it's ok to sell a.........nevermind.
    Wish we could have gotten more for him... Considering what we gave up to get him... However... I don't miss him one bit... I hate very few Twins players... He I hated...

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,609
    Like
    32
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    He had a nice run for Detroit in the last month of the season last year, but this year he has been dreadful (-.7 WAR)
    The guy had a golden opp this year hitting behind Miggy and Prince and laid a big turd, if he would have taken advantage of the situation he could have been looking at a nice contract at the end of the season, now he will be lucky to get a major league contract next season.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    1,747
    Like
    481
    Liked 306 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Great. I was just thinking this morning, "What I could really use is another reminder of how the Twins were destroyed by one of the worst GM's in the history of baseball". And here's this awesome thread to do just that! Cool!

    Bartlett/Garza post-trade WAR: 18.6 Delmon Young post-trade WAR: -0.8

    Other people may see this move as a failure, but I see it as an ingenious maneuver by Smith. It makes the +0.4 WAR received in return for a perennial Cy Young candidate look like an absolute haul.

    Is anybody else discouraged by the fact that the same people who let Bill Smith run the Twins for four years still own this team?

    Edit: Oops, forgot to include the 0.1 WAR that Lester Oliveros churned out for the Twins in return for Delmon. And DY's WAR total does not reflect today's home run. Still leaning Garza/Bartlett, though.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 08-15-2012 at 01:36 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    The return was small because it was probably well known the Twins weren't going to offer him a contract following that season anyway. I don't miss him and I still think it was one of Bill Smith's best moves.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    1,747
    Like
    481
    Liked 306 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    The return was small because it was probably well known the Twins weren't going to offer him a contract following that season anyway. I don't miss him and I still think it was one of Bill Smith's best moves.
    That last sentence is one of the sweetest summaries of Bill Smith's reign of terror I've ever read.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    1,747
    Like
    481
    Liked 306 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Don't you mean "sold one year ago" -- here we go....

    Are you saying it's ok to sell a.........nevermind.
    The answer to your other question is yes... it is too soon.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    807
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Add another HR to the total thanks to meatball DeVries

  11. #11
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    2,507
    Like
    80
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    25
    I think Oliveros will be an okay relief pitcher. He probably would be hurling for the Twins now if not for the bone chips in his elbow. If the Twins can get a few decent years out of him, they win the Delmon trade. Delmon is not a good baseball player. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets next year.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    1,747
    Like
    481
    Liked 306 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you missed it the first time, or just haven't seen it in a while, check out the best Delmon action photo ever:

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I really like Lester Oliveros as a potential 8th inning guy. And if they got that in an August trade for Young, that was a steal.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    157
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think Oliveros will be an okay relief pitcher. He probably would be hurling for the Twins now if not for the bone chips in his elbow. If the Twins can get a few decent years out of him, they win the Delmon trade. Delmon is not a good baseball player. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets next year.
    Based on what?

    Tampa got 2-3 good years from Bartlett and Garza, and then traded both away for 7-8 prospects/Mlb players.

    Delmon had one good season, and 3 lousy ones for the Twins....and they got stinkin Oliveros for him.

    This trade was incredibly lopsided....not in the Twins favor.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    1,747
    Like
    481
    Liked 306 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    stringer was referring to Delmon/Oliveros, not Delmon/Barza, is my guess.

    And that just makes the Delmon episode that much more painful. After all, the deal wasn't Delmon for Lester Oliveros. It was Delmon for Cole Nelson, who is now 22 and still getting his butt kicked in A ball. Oliveros was a PTBNL, for heaven's sake.

    And that, for me anyway, kills the notion that Bill Smith 'won' the trade with Detroit. If anything, it just shows that even the Twins' bizarre talent valuation was due to hit on a prospect out of sheer luck. Blind squirrel, meet nut.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think Oliveros will be an okay relief pitcher. He probably would be hurling for the Twins now if not for the bone chips in his elbow. If the Twins can get a few decent years out of him, they win the Delmon trade. Delmon is not a good baseball player. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets next year.
    Based on the output the Twins would have gotten from Delmon this year (nothing, he wasn't coming back) and Oliveras's contributions last year and this, it is ALREADY a win for the Twins.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    157
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    stringer was referring to Delmon/Oliveros, not Delmon/Barza, is my guess.

    And that just makes the Delmon episode that much more painful. After all, the deal wasn't Delmon for Lester Oliveros. It was Delmon for Cole Nelson, who is now 22 and still getting his butt kicked in A ball. Oliveros was a PTBNL, for heaven's sake.

    And that, for me anyway, kills the notion that Bill Smith 'won' the trade with Detroit. If anything, it just shows that even the Twins' bizarre talent valuation was due to hit on a prospect out of sheer luck. Blind squirrel, meet nut.
    Awww, got it

  18. #18
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    And that just makes the Delmon episode that much more painful. After all, the deal wasn't Delmon for Lester Oliveros. It was Delmon for Cole Nelson, who is now 22 and still getting his butt kicked in A ball. Oliveros was a PTBNL, for heaven's sake.

    And that, for me anyway, kills the notion that Bill Smith 'won' the trade with Detroit. If anything, it just shows that even the Twins' bizarre talent valuation was due to hit on a prospect out of sheer luck. Blind squirrel, meet nut.
    "Later" was the next day. It wasn't like a year later. Which brings up an off-topic question. Anyone have actual knowledge of how "players to be named later" are actually agreed upon? My impression--and I don't even know if it's based in any facts or rumors or just my own imagination--is that the two teams are down to a "well it can be one of these x guys" and then whoever is still undecided can pick from among those x players. And I would guess they do the deal without nailing down that final detail because it needs to happen before some deadline (like the time between making the waiver claim and when it expires). Is that about right? Anyone?

  19. #19
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,007
    Like
    1,150
    Liked 659 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    And that just makes the Delmon episode that much more painful. After all, the deal wasn't Delmon for Lester Oliveros. It was Delmon for Cole Nelson, who is now 22 and still getting his butt kicked in A ball. Oliveros was a PTBNL, for heaven's sake.

    And that, for me anyway, kills the notion that Bill Smith 'won' the trade with Detroit. If anything, it just shows that even the Twins' bizarre talent valuation was due to hit on a prospect out of sheer luck. Blind squirrel, meet nut.
    "Later" was the next day. It wasn't like a year later. Which brings up an off-topic question. Anyone have actual knowledge of how "players to be named later" are actually agreed upon? My impression--and I don't even know if it's based in any facts or rumors or just my own imagination--is that the two teams are down to a "well it can be one of these x guys" and then whoever is still undecided can pick from among those x players. And I would guess they do the deal without nailing down that final detail because it needs to happen before some deadline (like the time between making the waiver claim and when it expires). Is that about right? Anyone?
    I'm guessing Cdog... My assumption is that a list of potential players that a club will give up is provided. The Trading team may like a couple of players on that list and agree to the trade and then take some time to watch the players a little more closely before officially grabbing the player.

    However, I could Ten Miles off on this. This has just been my assumption.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,781
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post

    "Later" was the next day. It wasn't like a year later. Which brings up an off-topic question. Anyone have actual knowledge of how "players to be named later" are actually agreed upon? My impression--and I don't even know if it's based in any facts or rumors or just my own imagination--is that the two teams are down to a "well it can be one of these x guys" and then whoever is still undecided can pick from among those x players. And I would guess they do the deal without nailing down that final detail because it needs to happen before some deadline (like the time between making the waiver claim and when it expires). Is that about right? Anyone?
    Some of the PTBNL are as you say, a team is given a list and they pick. Some others are players who were agreed upon but signed (from a draft) less than a year from the day of the trade and cannot be named and traded until a year passes. And sometimes when a team receives a PTBNL during the off-season is because they had a full 40-man roster and wanted to wait until it was reduced.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.