Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: New Vikings Stadium

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    396
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    New Vikings Stadium

    I saw a thread in another section of the forum talking about best and worst stadium names, and it made me think about what the new Vikings stadium will be called. Personally I would like a local company to buy the rights, but besides Target would else would step up? While I like Target Center and Target Field, we really dont need another Target stadium. My first thought was Best Buy but not with all their issues. 3M maybe?

    On another topic would else wants to see a retractable roof? I would love for us to get a MLS team.
    I bent my wookie...

  2. #2
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Caribou Field with the Hormel Half-Time Show every game, training facilities sponsored by Medtronic, food court by SuperValu.

    Offensive line sponsored by 3M Post-Its. Quarterback sponsored by... Well, nobody probably wants to sponsor a Vikings QB.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,612
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Frosted Flakes Field

  4. #4
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,916
    Like
    452
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Jucy Lucy Stadium.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Double-A Musk21's Avatar
    Posts
    120
    Like
    0
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    US Bank? Mall of America again? General Mills?
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,612
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    *Battle Your Tail Off Field


    *only if I win the powerball tonight

  7. #7
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No High school or small colleges allowed stadium?

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,071
    Like
    97
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Spamalot

  9. #9
    Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Posts
    174
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3
    There was a strib article about the 3 most likely candidates, Target was one of them.

    Retractable roof would be great - hopefully they open it once in a while, football should be played outside.

  10. #10
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's All Chilly's Fault Field

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    887
    Like
    38
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    I would love for the field to be completely outdoors. The Met was the best homefield advantage a team could ever have, even if it was mostly psychological (much like the Mile High oxygen thing for 90% of athletes).
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Posts
    174
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I would love for the field to be completely outdoors. The Met was the best homefield advantage a team could ever have, even if it was mostly psychological (much like the Mile High oxygen thing for 90% of athletes).
    I'd prefer that too, but it aint gonna happen

    Retractable is the best hope for any chance of having some games outdoors

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Given the current concern in the NFL about safety and concussions, how about the UnitedHealth Group Field?

    As a part of the sponsorship agreement the Vikings can negotiate free CAT scans for their players

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I saw a thread in another section of the forum talking about best and worst stadium names, and it made me think about what the new Vikings stadium will be called. Personally I would like a local company to buy the rights, but besides Target would else would step up? While I like Target Center and Target Field, we really dont need another Target stadium. My first thought was Best Buy but not with all their issues. 3M maybe?

    On another topic would else wants to see a retractable roof? I would love for us to get a MLS team.
    I would love to see a retractable roof, but I think getting an MLS team is out of the picture even with it. Other than a couple of local self-serving articles (based in part on Zygi's statements), there's been no indication that Minnesota is even on the radar screen for MLS expansion.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I saw a thread in another section of the forum talking about best and worst stadium names, and it made me think about what the new Vikings stadium will be called. Personally I would like a local company to buy the rights, but besides Target would else would step up? While I like Target Center and Target Field, we really dont need another Target stadium. My first thought was Best Buy but not with all their issues. 3M maybe?

    On another topic would else wants to see a retractable roof? I would love for us to get a MLS team.
    I would love to see a retractable roof, but I think getting an MLS team is out of the picture even with it. Other than a couple of local self-serving articles (based in part on Zygi's statements), there's been no indication that Minnesota is even on the radar screen for MLS expansion.
    We just wouldn't support an MLS team. The Thunder never drew much and the Stars don't either. Both teams won league titles and at times played very nice soccer. I'd love to see it but i'd be sad when they folded or moved in 2 years.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Boondoggle Stadium
    Papers...business papers.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyone else getting worried about this. I have three main concerns:

    1. The public financing component is a joke. The electronic pulltabs are falling fall short of projections. There is no clear backup plan.
    2. There is new rumbling that the Vikings are not so keen on having a baseball configuration option for the stadium. That would put a big damper on the usefulness of the new stadium compared to the Dome.
    3. This is most controversial, but I still believe that football is at its peak right now. I don't think it will suddenly collapse but I feel it will start a slow decline as more information about head injuries and long term damage comes out, and people start paying less attention and parents will be less inclined to let their children play. There will always be interest in football but I question whether it remain as high to justify the enormous scale of the stadium and public cost that comes with it.
    Papers...business papers.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    132
    Like
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Anyone else getting worried about this. I have three main concerns:

    1. The public financing component is a joke. The electronic pulltabs are falling fall short of projections. There is no clear backup plan.
    2. There is new rumbling that the Vikings are not so keen on having a baseball configuration option for the stadium. That would put a big damper on the usefulness of the new stadium compared to the Dome.
    3. This is most controversial, but I still believe that football is at its peak right now. I don't think it will suddenly collapse but I feel it will start a slow decline as more information about head injuries and long term damage comes out, and people start paying less attention and parents will be less inclined to let their children play. There will always be interest in football but I question whether it remain as high to justify the enormous scale of the stadium and public cost that comes with it.
    1. The pulltabs aren't fully implemented and they did put several back-up sources in the bill. Worst-case they will go back and tweak/add to those, which were all sports/stadium related.

    2. The Vikings need to get off of this. They knew the baseball was an important part of the public use of the stadium and if it means the seats are a few feet further back, too bad.

    3. This is kind of an elephant in the room. But it's still the most popular league by far. Are we really willing to say 'let the NFL move to LA' because of what 'might' happen down the road? I think any 'major' fallout is still at least a decade away and the NFL will do everything they can to stay in front of it.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    What I don't get is why the Vikings did not try and figure out a way to work out something with the U of M
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  20. #20
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    What I don't get is why the Vikings did not try and figure out a way to work out something with the U of M
    What's not to get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.