Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dozier to Rochester, Florimon up

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will be fun to watch Florimon, but it's August 14th... Dozier will play SS in Rochester for 2 1/2 weeks, then be back. Not sure what he'll get from that.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Awesome news!! Let's hope it helps.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Strange move. What's the point... to send a message to Dozier? Blah....

typical Gardy move in that there is nothing to be gained from it.
    Blackburn & Butera still here. ?????

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure what it does. Sending a message is dumb. The team called him up in May despite the fact that he was really struggling offensively in Rochester. They had to know that.

Like I said, I am intrigued by FLorimon and want to see his defense. He has ONLY played SS this year in Rochester, so I'm curious if Dozier will maybe get some time at 2B in Rochester with Escobar at SS?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    I like the move, Gardy indicated that he wanted Dozier to not get to comfortable being in the majors, Dozier has looked downright bad in the majors this year. (not all his fault)

A few weeks riding the bus to crappy stadiums with 4,000 people might motivate him a bit to not blow it next time he gets a chance to play on the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    I like the move, even if it's an idle threat/message -- at least some message was sent. Let it be know that with the lack of FA SS available this year that Florimon, Dozier and Escorbar (and perhaps Carroll and Casilla) will have to compete and win a starting spot and spot on the 25 man. Even if this is a small message, it's a start in the correct direction for getting good competitive players earning spots (or at least beating out others for a spot).
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure what it does. Sending a message is dumb. The team called him up in May despite the fact that he was really struggling offensively in Rochester. They had to know that.

Like I said, I am intrigued by FLorimon and want to see his defense. He has ONLY played SS this year in Rochester, so I'm curious if Dozier will maybe get some time at 2B in Rochester with Escobar at SS?
    I would figure your assumption is right, Dozier jumping between MI positions in Rochester. I do not see Florimon having a higher upside than Dozier, Maybe they have thrown in their hat on him being a SS and are looking towards next season with their sites set on him as a 2nd baseman. I have a hard time thinking this is the case though. Good Luck Florimon!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Either gotta be about confidence as Dozier said or a message that even though there's no one pushing him, he can't coast. He doesn't strike me as someone who would thinheir benefit from the latter, even though I don't think he's really shown anywhere that he'll be a true everyday player in the bigs.

The strange thing is the Twins have to find a roster space for Pavano once he is activated, especially if they still want to try and deep-six him to another team, so someone has to be waived (Tosoni) or maybe Capps just switched to the longer-term DL. And then Waters is rehabbing, too. Pretty much any of the relievers like Gray, Perdomo would go thru w
    aivers. Imagine the Twins could cut ties with Waldrop, or even Oliveros, early. Probably Tosoni not making the stay.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not enough at bats to know if Dozier can have a Jason Bartlett type career. I don't know if the Twins will have the patience to find out. Dozier will improve, but maybe not enough.

Worst case long term is if Jamey Carroll is the starting shortstop next year. Florimon is older than Dozier. He is not a long term solution. Escobar's young age gives him the most upside but it may not be up enough for his weak bat.

Dozier is the best hope for league average SS performance in 2014-2015, let's hope he is up to the task and finds a way to increase his walk rate and cut down on defensive mistakes.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Manship could be another to add rosterman.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't watched a ton of games in the last month, but has he really been that bad? Seems like he has just been struggling to adjust a little, and maybe the move was to try to give him a change of pace and different atmosphere. I don't think the Twins are sending a message like they did with Valencia, they probably just believe he will benefit from a little time down there.

Junior Member Rookie twinslover's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier hasn't been particularly good and has made some fairly typical mistakes in the field. He has had a couple of stretches at the plate where he showed some productivity, but the most disappointing thing about him is that it doesn't seem like he has improved throughout this season.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier belongs as a second baseman, so IF he plays there in Rochester, I am ok with this. If this is merely a "sent message" than it is completely barbarically dumb. WHY wait THIS long to send a message? I have to believe this is about a position move. And I am glad to see Florimon get the chance. I think next year's starting MI will be Florimon at SS and Dozier at 2B with Carroll as the UTIL infielder. Worst case scenario is that Carroll and Florimon swap those roles.

Escobar is a dud and a half. Get that straight right now. James Beresford has more potential than Escobar.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Dozier belongs as a second baseman, so IF he plays there in Rochester, I am ok with this. If this is merely a "sent message" than it is completely barbarically dumb. WHY wait THIS long to send a message? I have to believe this is about a position move. And I am glad to see Florimon get the chance. I think next year's starting MI will be Florimon at SS and Dozier at 2B with Carroll as the UTIL infielder. Worst case scenario is that Carroll and Florimon swap those roles.

Escobar is a dud and a half. Get that straight right now. James Beresford has more potential than Escobar.
    I think you can insert Nathan Hanson's name in there, too, there's MI mediocrity in the Twins system as far as the eye can see. (Although he has shown a live bat for the first time in his career at New Britain since the AS break- .321/.824OPS)

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    There almost has to be more to this story than meets the eye.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 216 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    typical Gardy move in that there is nothing to be gained from it.
    Gardy seemed to be against it. http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/166201756.html

I'm honestly not sure why people are A) trying to think up some grand conspiracy by Gardy or 2) blaming the team for sending him down. Dozier is bad - 66 OPS+ and zero WAR, among lead leaders in errors. Let him go down and let the team give other people a chance.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bet they just want Dozier to work w Bruno for a couple of weeks. It's clear he trusts him. Maybe he'll quit messing around w his stance.

I really hope they don't move him to 2B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast