Thread: Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good work and the pitching matchups for Wednesday look awesome.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Excellent roundup. Thanks for your hard work.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Deibinson Romero's triple slash is at .271/.360/.448 and rising rapidly. Is there any chance that the 26 yr. old third baseman could regain his place among the Twins' top 30 prospects?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Romero also has 70 rbi's, can play either corner infield spot(tho not his specialty)

Keep him if possible, bump to AAA next year, invite to ST

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Deibinson Romero's triple slash is at .271/.360/.448 and rising rapidly. Is there any chance that the 26 yr. old third baseman could regain his place among the Twins' top 30 prospects?
    26 years old, AA player, lots of poor seasons in between AA and rookie ball... if he's top 30, that means they have a horrible system.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    He wouldn't be Top 30 for me, but that doesn't mean he can't be a pretty OK major league player. He's got some tools and some talent. I'd like to see him move up to rochester next year, but that MIGHT require putting him on the 40 man roster again because if they don't, he can become a minor league free agent (he could have last year too).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I was originally thinking of a comparison with Danny Valencia and Luke Hughes, who were always 'old' for their league, but managed to consistently make Seth's top 30. However, Valencia was still 1 year younger than Romero during his big AA year (Romero is actually just 25 until September... eom). I guess Romero has really been adrift for a long time, and even though his peripherals suggest he has really improved it may still be too late.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Age is an important piece to the prospect ranking puzzle, for sure. But I also won't deduct a college player just because he got three years of college development and then steadily moved up the system while putting up good numbers the way Valencia did. With Hughes, he didn't do much until he got to AA, so I guess my thinking was that, being from Australia, the development time should be expected to take a bit longer, and maybe once it clicked, he could take off. That was always in the back of my mind. I would never consider someone who makes their big league debut at 25 or younger to be "old."

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Romero's power is great, but his inability to field from the hot corner is probably enough to keep him away from the MLB. He can't hit for average and isn't quick runner either. Power is also a frequent commodity at his position anyway. He's old and has only 1 or 2 tools (arm?). On a positive twist, I do like him more than Pedro Florimon!