Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gleeman: Where Will Twins Find Room for Chris Parmelee?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 154 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gleeman: Where Will Twins Find Room for Chris Parmelee?

http://aarongleeman.com/2012/08/14/w...erer-parmelee/

Aaron thinks the Twins need to find room for Parmelee, but isn't at all sure how they're going to do so. I'm wondering what others thoughts are. IMHO, this is one of the better Twins developments this year.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    you have to find room at one point... He has options, so in theory you can leave him there for another year. My guess is that Terry Ryan is going to spend a good chunk of the offseason shopping one of Span, Revere, or Morneau. The first spot that opens will be Parmelees... If the trade is in the OF and Parmelee succeeds, Ryan will likely flip Morneau at the deadline, move Parmelee to 1st and call up whichever of Hicks/Arcia/Benson that is most deserving.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

Aaron thinks the Twins need to find room for Parmelee, but isn't at all sure how they're going to do so. I'm wondering what others thoughts are. IMHO, this is one of the better Twins developments this year.
    Try hard to move Span in the offseason and slot Parmelee in right. Try to move Justin at the deadline and then slot Chris into first base. It's the only way to get everyone the ABs they need, I think.

Liked 2,155 Times in 1,222 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A little creativity and it's easily done.

Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Mauer can all sit on occasion and if they rotate the time.... Everyone can play a decent amount. Simply sticking Parmelee into a rotation of these players will get everyone ample playing time with no bench rusting for anyone and you will always have a decent pinch hitting option on the bench for all games.

The same thing could be done with Mastrioanni right now. Revere and Span can sit every once in awhile to get Mastroianni some additional playing time.

25 Players on your roster. Use them all. Except for Butera of course.

I would call up Parmelee right now and send down a bullpen arm and start this rotation immediately. If Parmelee is going to ride the pine... Well of course leave him in Rochester. It's just a little bit of creativity.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 182 Times in 113 Posts
    I think diehardtwinsfan is right.

That said, I didn't listen to the podcast but (and this was brought up in another thread and I didn't really give it much thought), would a team like Baltimore gamble on Parmelee and give up a guy like Matusz, who has really struggled at the ML level? And if they would, would the Twins gamble on Matusz and give away a cheap bat like Parmelee?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 350 Times in 175 Posts
    Willingham, Morneau, Mauer and prob even Doumit need to be in the lineup everyday (or as close to as possible) at this point.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 350 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post

That said, I didn't listen to the podcast but (and this was brought up in another thread and I didn't really give it much thought), would a team like Baltimore gamble on Parmelee and give up a guy like Matusz, who has really struggled at the ML level? And if they would, would the Twins gamble on Matusz and give away a cheap bat like Parmelee?
    Now is NOT the time to trade away Parmelee. It's not like he is being blocked by a guy on a 10 year contract at first base, Morneau has a year left, there is a good chance he is traded sometime in 2013. Span has a decent shot to be traded as well, but if they head into 2013 with everyone still around, then leaving Parm in AAA for a few months until someone inevitably gets traded or injured isn't the worst thing in the world.

This is the kind of logic that caused the Twins to trade away Wilson Ramos for Fatt Crapps, "oh hey we have a catcher already, no need to keep Ramos around!"

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Willingham, Morneau, Mauer and prob even Doumit need to be in the lineup everyday (or as close to as possible) at this point.
    I'm not sure I agree. At this point, 2012 is a lost season. I don't have problems with sitting Mauer and Doumit more regularly, as both have caught a fair number of games and are signed beyond this season. Willingham can sit a few days as well.

Morneau, on the other hand, should probably play as often as possible just in case he forgets that baseball is still played through September. /snark

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They got to move one of Span/Morneau to get some pitching this off-season. Span's and Morneau's value (barring any additional injuries or bad news from Span's current one) will never be higher than this off-season. They do have ready replacements for both of them and that money they save along with the pitchers they will get, might go long way for this team.

And with Morneau, you can potentially trade him for a similar P contact and call is a wash, which really opens the door for a whole other number of players to come over to the Twins. Like can you get someone like Carlos Villanueva from the Blue Jays straight up for Morneau? He is a guy who is a better starter than reliever and the Jays really do not have room for. Also he is stated to make around $4M in his second arbitration. Or would the Dodgers give you someone like Aaron Harang or Chris Capuano straight up (or with an added Twins B type prospect; they are both signed for 2013 for $7 and $6 and have an option for the same amount in 2014 so money is a wash.). This is unique flexibility for them and should try to take advantage of it. This team needs 2 starters better than Diamond, minimum, to have a chance next season and you cannot find them in free agency for cheap (unless you are the Dodgers and signed the aforementioned 2 last off-season)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 182 Times in 113 Posts

Now is NOT the time to trade away Parmelee. It's not like he is being blocked by a guy on a 10 year contract at first base, Morneau has a year left, there is a good chance he is traded sometime in 2013. Span has a decent shot to be traded as well, but if they head into 2013 with everyone still around, then leaving Parm in AAA for a few months until someone inevitably gets traded or injured isn't the worst thing in the world.

This is the kind of logic that caused the Twins to trade away Wilson Ramos for Fatt Crapps, "oh hey we have a catcher already, no need to keep Ramos around!"
    Wasn't really thinking we should trade him b/c he's blocked. Rather, I was thinking his value might be pretty high right now and I'm still not sold on him as an everyday first baseman.

And Parmelee certainly isn't untradeable. If the team gets a good offer for him, they should trade him, regardless of the situation is at first base.

Liked 2,155 Times in 1,222 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Each sitting once a week is not a problem. It keeps everyone fresh and it keeps a decent option off the bench in key moments.

Anybody on your roster playing once a week while the starters are trotted out every day is a bigger problem in my opinion. Besides... Sitting once a week is pretty darn close to "as close to as possible".

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Each sitting once a week is not a problem. It keeps everyone fresh and it keeps a decent option off the bench in key moments.

Anybody on your roster playing once a week while the starters are trotted out every day is a bigger problem in my opinion. Besides... Sitting once a week is pretty darn close to "as close to as possible".
    I'm with you...isn't this why baseball allows teams to have "bench players"?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 306 Times in 149 Posts
    How about Morneau to the Mariners, basically playing at home for him, we get Jason Vargas back. Both signed thru next year Vargas will likely get around 6 mill in arb so the money is a little off but Morneau should be considered the better player. We get an ok starter save 7-8 mill we can spend on another starter.
    I think Morneau would be happy going home to finish his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    How about Morneau to the Mariners, basically playing at home for him, we get Jason Vargas back. Both signed thru next year Vargas will likely get around 6 mill in arb so the money is a little off but Morneau should be considered the better player. We get an ok starter save 7-8 mill we can spend on another starter.
    I think Morneau would be happy going home to finish his career.
    I think the Twins would gladly take Vargas for Morneau because he seems like the kind of pitcher they target. I'm not sure why Seattle would do this, though. They're nowhere near contending and probably don't want to get older.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    [QUOTE=SpiritofVodkaDave;45755]

There are 2 differences between the Parmelee and Ramos situations.

Ramos was behind a guy that just signed an 8 year contract extension and Parmelee is behind a guy with 1 year left.

Also Parmelee has options remaining whereas Ramos didn't.

He would've had to stay on the ML roster last season and he was too good to sit on the bench and serve as the backup catcher.

It was the right thing to trade Ramos, whether or not you agree with the return is a valid argument.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

Try hard to move Span in the offseason and slot Parmelee in right. Try to move Justin at the deadline and then slot Chris into first base. It's the only way to get everyone the ABs they need, I think.
    it should maximize value too. Justin is going to be very expensive at the deadline.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Terry Ryan was on before the ballgame last night and said that Parmelee will stay in the minors so he can play everyday rather than be called up and get sporatic play. Unless someone gets hurt it doesn't sound like he'll be up.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The rotation theory that a few are throwing out there is seems to be the most feasible. All of the Outfielders, the first baseman, and catcher get a breather by either taking a day off or DHing. 500 PA's for all involved. Here is a more radical idea and it will require us to have a very horrible defense... please here me out for Bleeps and giggles.

Parmelee is a starting corner outfielder.

Span and Revere take CF and LF or RF.

Willingham is moved to 3B (I believe he played their a little bit in his rookie season with the Marlins, I'm sure without much success)

Plouffe is pushed to 2B.

Carroll or Dozier plays SS. Morneau remains at 1B.

Doumit and Mauer rotate between C and DH with Morneau DHing sometimes and Mauer playing 1B.

The pitchers would suffer even more than they are now, but the offense might be fun... just sayin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Willingham is moved to 3B

Plouffe is pushed to 2B.
    Interesting idea. These two lines terrify me most.

All offense and no D has not gotten the Tigers anywhere this year and they have a couple of dependable pitchers. How can the Twins pull this off?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls View Post

Terry Ryan was on before the ballgame last night and said that Parmelee will stay in the minors so he can play everyday rather than be called up and get sporatic play. Unless someone gets hurt it doesn't sound like he'll be up.

The problem with this theory is that most of the minor leagues seasons end the 1st week of September. So if Parmelee isn't called up in September, he won't be playing at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast