Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is "Property of Twins" appropriate?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is "Property of Twins" appropriate?

Or was it just me?

Dick Bremer said this (oh so innocently) :

"At this point last season Delmon Young was still property of the Minnesota Twins... And even Jim Thome was a member of the Twins"

I've seen people fired for less. This was an awful thing for Bremer to say and I don't know whether the guy is a true bigot or not, but Delmon Young deserves at least an apology for that.

Just sayin...
    Last edited by John Bonnes; 08-14-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: modifed thread title to encourage civil discourse
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Or was it just me?

He said this (oh so innocently) :

"At this point last season Delmon Young was still property of the Minnesota Twins... And even Jim Thome was a member of the Twins"

I've seen people fired for less. This was an awful thing for Bremer to say and I don't know whether the guy is a true bigot or not, but Delmon Young deserves at least an apology for that.

Just sayin...
    Keep looking...
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or was it just me?

Just sayin...
    Really dude?

If Delmon were a white man would you have the same complaint? quit being so sensitive.....this is a non-issue.

I call for a one week suspension of your posting rights and an apology to the board and Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalOptimism View Post
    I literally joined this forum ....
    Kudos and welcome.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thrylos, good job. I'd buy your next drink if I was in the bar you are at right now or I'd buy you your next hit of crack... either one. Defending a racist in the name of racism... that is new and refreshing. F-Bomb - where do we go from here?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,192 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As an exercise in trolling, it gets a C-minus. Unless someone else types quicker, mine is only response #9 in half an hour.

So, let's see. When you disagree with what someone is saying, as thus far all of you obviously do here, you can criticize the argument on the merits, or you can attack the person him/herself. Which do you think is both more effective and is the mode of argument accepted by civilization for thousands of years? (I know, it's hard to tell these days, as standard argument in this nation has become an absolute travesty, but still...).

So, I disagree with what thrylos is saying, but I can at least acknowledge that his argument has some merit. Indeed, no one here would argue that persons of African descent in this nation could reasonably take umbrage at being referred to as "property". Right? That seems to be a settled notion, given our nation's terrible history regarding chattel slavery.

However, I disagree that Bremer was referring to that. It's not unusual, for instance, to see all sorts of folks wearing clothing items (especially shirts) with phrases such as "Property of the Minnesota Vikings," etc. It's actually rather common, and it's an accepted colloquialism. Frankly, it probably should not be. The phrase has a terrible connotation to it, and could be rightfully offensive to any number of people. But it is what it is and it was a minor mistake for Bremer to have said it, even though it was most likely unintentional and not freighted with the meaning that thrylos attributes it.

So settle down. [Edit to correct: Agree] Disagree with the idea, not the person. This item in particular wasn't terribly hard to deconstruct, and the whole forum will be a much better place for all if we stick to the merits of an argument and refrain from personal attacks.
    Last edited by deanlambrecht; 08-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Liked 696 Times in 365 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish that someone would move this thread to some more appropriate section of the website.

What...the....hell GPA? Horrible, just horrible.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I wish that someone would move this thread to some more appropriate section of the website.
    I believe that's called /dev/null.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    What...the....hell GPA? Horrible, just horrible.
    This thread? Yeah.

Baby Got Downs

Liked 139 Times in 77 Posts
    Or was it just me?

Just sayin...
    So this shirt is racist?

Sorry, it's a common way to refer to the players. Maybe the tone of voice gave more meaning than text can convey, but my guess is you just heard something where there was nothing.

There is enough real racism around. It's a serious charge, and you had better be damned sure you are right before you start throwing around accusations.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or was it just me?

Just sayin...
    Nonsense. I've never sniffed a hint of racism in anything Bremer has said. The word "property" is often used when referring to a player that is under contract. It has no racial connotations in the context of a discussion about baseball.

Frankly, you owe Dick Bremer an apology for falsely or foolishly calling him a racist. Real racists are very easy to spot. Bremer ain't one of 'em.

So i clicked the OP's blog... and he also harassed multiple members of the Twins org on twitter over this egregious offense.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Threads like this is where a forum decides whether it wants to be the Strib comments section or a place of actual intelligence. Should be fun to watch....

From Etymologyonline:
    property
    c.1300, "nature, quality," later "possession" (a sense rare before 17c.), from an Anglo-Fr. modification of O.Fr. propriete (12c., Fr. propreté), from L. proprietatem (nom. proprietas) "ownership, property, propriety," lit. "special character" (a loan-translation of Gk. idioma), noun of quality from proprius "one's own, special" (see proper). Propertied "holding property" is from 1760. Hot property "sensation, a success" is from 1958.

"One's own" as in the Twins' own player is appropriate. The word "own" in this context also can imply belonging or property... <<<gasp>>>. Catch any other dog whistles today?

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe this same poster is the guy who earlier this year went on a rant about how Gardy should be fired for "abandoning ship" to attend his daughter's college graduation. The guy clearly likes to seek out drama where there is none. It's probably best not to give the poster the satisfaction of getting the reaction he is looking for.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast