Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hicks 3rd best prospect in the system?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts

Aaron Hicks 3rd best prospect in the system?

-I think its pretty apparent that Sano and Buxton are a clear cut 1 and 2 in the system.

-Hicks now has upped his OPS in AA to .849 has a career high 27 SB and career high of 12 HR, add that to an elite arm and elite defense overall and we could be looking at him to hit his ceiling down the road.

At this point I would put him above Arcia, and would have to imagine Hicks will crack the majority of top 50 lists heading into 2013.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    -I think its pretty apparent that Sano and Buxton are a clear cut 1 and 2 in the system.

-Hicks now has upped his OPS in AA to .849 has a career high 27 SB and career high of 12 HR, add that to an elite arm and elite defense overall and we could be looking at him to hit his ceiling down the road.

At this point I would put him above Arcia, and would have to imagine Hicks will crack the majority of top 50 lists heading into 2013.
    Top 50 lists of Twins Prospects? Just had to comment on that.

no doubt Hicks will be top 50 again. He's already had 3 top 50 yrs & he's finally fullfilling his promise. I just wonder if he could get top 25.
    Arguement of top 5 order is fun as you can make a solid arguement for any of em after Sano & maybe a couple before him!!
    I think they will have all 5 in top 50....top 75 for sure. Wonder if Gibson will crack it again despite his age.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    no doubt Hicks will be top 50 again. He's already had 3 top 50 yrs & he's finally fullfilling his promise. I just wonder if he could get top 25.
    Arguement of top 5 order is fun as you can make a solid arguement for any of em after Sano & maybe a couple before him!!
    I think they will have all 5 in top 50....top 75 for sure. Wonder if Gibson will crack it again despite his age.
    I'm not sure Arcia is top 50, and I could almost gurantee Rosario won't be in the top 50. I could see Arcia in the 60-80 range and could see Rasario sneak into a few lists as well.

Gibson should def be a top 100 guy. But I could see him left off most lists. Not that any of the "lists" matter much.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    exactly, it doesn't matter whether Gibson is 95 or 115. His upside as a pitcher is the same regardless...

As of today, I think I'd rank them.... 1.) Sano, 2.) Buxton, 3.) Hicks, 4.) Rosario, 5.) Arcia, 6.) Berrios, 7.) Gibson... subject to change daily. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    exactly, it doesn't matter whether Gibson is 95 or 115. His upside as a pitcher is the same regardless...

As of today, I think I'd rank them.... 1.) Sano, 2.) Buxton, 3.) Hicks, 4.) Rosario, 5.) Arcia, 6.) Berrios, 7.) Gibson... subject to change daily. Ha!
    Think Im with ya on the top 7.....yes it does change day to day...inning to inning.
    Benson was 99th in Baseball America's top 100 this yr.....what if he makes a AHicks type comeback/breakout yr next yr. Lots of things to be happy with.
    My favorite, Adam Walker, is making a pitch for that top 10 also.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Adam Walker is not making a pitch for the top 10. He is doing what good prospects should do with some nice power. If he can do it in Beloit then he will make a case for the top 10. I think I still go Sano, Arcia, Hicks, Buxton, Rosario. That top 5 is pretty sweet. Can't wait till they are with the Twins.

dont know if I agree that you have to be out of ELIZ to be top 10.
    Sano was first, Rosario was 3rd, Levi Michael 7th--Travis Harrison 11th(neither played), Madison Boer 12th (8 Beloit appearances) & Corey Williams 13th......according to BAmerica.
    Berrios is definately in the top 10
    Not sure who would absolutely be 9/10 for me after Berrios/Gibson/Benson (still) at 6-8.
    I think he is top 10 unless I am missing someone (dropped Harrison down a bit myself to probably 10/11)....maybe Keplar 9/10 also.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

If they convert Zack Jones to a starter successfully and he continues to develop a solid third pitch, I bet you'll change that. He is actually one of the 3-4 Twins' pitchers with higher upside than Gibson.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

If they convert Zack Jones to a starter successfully and he continues to develop a solid third pitch, I bet you'll change that. He is actually one of the 3-4 Twins' pitchers with higher upside than Gibson.
    I know it's early, but when does Berrios earn being in the mix of consideration as a top 3-4 pitching prospect/high upside guy and possible top 10 member? After A ball success next season?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano was first, Rosario was 3rd, Levi Michael 7th--Travis Harrison 11th(neither played), Madison Boer 12th (8 Beloit appearances) & Corey Williams 13th......according to BAmerica.
    Not sure who would absolutely be 9/10 for me after Berrios/Gibson/Benson (still) at 6-8.
    I think he is top 10 unless I am missing someone (dropped Harrison down a bit myself to probably 10/11)....maybe Keplar 9/10 also.
    I missed your post, but everything I'm reading, plus the early results tend to justify the early ranking.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its not just that, he has a low avg and obp. All he is doing is hitting some homeruns. Which is cool, the guy has some power, but with a low contact rate and no ability to take a walk he wont get very far.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts

I doubt that is plausible for Jones. He doesn't have great stamina and is really just blowing away inexperienced opposition right now. He threw plenty hard at San Jose State and was still projected to be more of a 6th or 7th rounder by BBA. I like him but he's not really close to top 10 status at this point.

I'd still have Gibson ahead of Berrios, mainly given the fact we don't know if the latter will hold up physically as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Its not just that, he has a low avg and obp. All he is doing is hitting some homeruns. Which is cool, the guy has some power, but with a low contact rate and no ability to take a walk he wont get very far.
    Got off to a 7/42 start in first 10gms..... 289BAve .593slgg in last 34gms. May have been getting used to pro style.
    Lots of Ks yes.....needs to walk more, but did in college. Hopefully that will come....is one of my favs.
    If not Walker.....who's your 8-12 ranked guys??
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 08-12-2012 at 12:03 AM.

I think Hicks will eventually be a 20 HR guy, so I see his ceiling as very close to Buxton's. Since he's so much closer to the bigs, he's easily ahead on my list.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    mine:
    1. Buxton A- CF
    2. Sano B+ 1B
    3. Hicks B CF
    4. Arcia B LF
    5. Rosario B 2B/RF
    6. Berrios B- SP
    7. Kepler B- CF
    8. Gibson B- SP
    9. Harrison B- 3B/1B
    10. Z. Jones B- RP/ SP
    11. A.B. Walker C+ 1B
    12. Boyd C+/B- SP
    13. Bard C+
    14. Melotakis C+
    15. Herrmann C+
    16. Hermsen C+ (RH version of Diamond) , hopefully
    17. Felix Jorge C++
    18. Goodrum
    19. Michael C+

20. Boer C+
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

walker is getting way too much love. he was a nice 3rd rounder in that he has m.l. ready power but he was picked in the third round because he needs to work on the rest of his game and he hasn't shown anything so far. you could foresee him hitting 16 or so bombs in e-town by accident - he hasn't proven anything yet. reminds me of a corey vaughn type.

at this point, i think jones might be the third best prospect from this draft after buck and berrios. i think the 6-7-8 prospects in the system right now are gibson, berrios and kepler, in whatever order, and then it's a free-for-all after that, though i'd probably put harrison at 9.

arcia is a better prospect than hicks, imo. i'd even rate rosario ahead of hicks based on track record. hicks' defense at a premium position will enhance his argument but i see both arcia and rosario being middle-of-the-order types whose bats will play at whatever level. their innate ability to barrel the ball leads me to believe they'll be in target field shortly.

two guys that deserve a mention are polanco and santana. both intriguing guys who i'd take ahead of the college misfit arms we picked this year. relief prospects should be discounted accordingly, but i love what tonkin has done this year and think he might be just hitting his stride.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

I'm not sure Arcia is top 50, and I could almost gurantee Rosario won't be in the top 50. I could see Arcia in the 60-80 range and could see Rasario sneak into a few lists as well.

Gibson should def be a top 100 guy. But I could see him left off most lists. Not that any of the "lists" matter much.
    Arcia has been killing it this year as a 21 yr old in A/AA ball. He's going to make top 50 lists and he's still a hair ahead of Hicks in my book. Rosario is a lock for top 100 lists but will probably fall out of the top 50.

had a second to think about it and the other two prospects that really stand out are angel mata and chris herrmann. herrmann is a borderline m.l. regular with an underrated skillset. and mata...that fastball is electric. after berrios, he might have the best arm in the system (jorge is also in the running), but, coming into the season he had nothing to go along with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast