Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Aaron Hicks 3rd best prospect in the system?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    772
    Like
    344
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Sure hope the excitement for Zach Jones is justified. I remember similar excitement for Pedro Guerra, for example, and he fizzled out.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    exactly, it doesn't matter whether Gibson is 95 or 115. His upside as a pitcher is the same regardless...

    As of today, I think I'd rank them.... 1.) Sano, 2.) Buxton, 3.) Hicks, 4.) Rosario, 5.) Arcia, 6.) Berrios, 7.) Gibson... subject to change daily. Ha!
    If they convert Zack Jones to a starter successfully and he continues to develop a solid third pitch, I bet you'll change that. He is actually one of the 3-4 Twins' pitchers with higher upside than Gibson.
    He is a closer, not a starter. There is no advantage to moving a power arm to a starter when he is already having great success as a bullpen arm. The Twins have desperately needed a bullpen arm like him who can throw 97-99 on a consistent basis.
    On another note,My top 5 would look like this. Rosario is better hitter than Sano, but the Power is too great to overlook. Buxton hasn't proved **** yet so that is why I put Arcia 3rd. Dude is killing AA, him and Rosario or pretty similar hitters.
    Sano
    Rosario
    Arcia
    Buxton
    Hicks
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  3. #23
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    What are the odds we see both Arcia and Hicks at Target Field in 2012?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    mine:
    1. Buxton A- CF
    2. Sano B+ 1B
    3. Hicks B CF
    4. Arcia B LF
    5. Rosario B 2B/RF
    6. Berrios B- SP
    7. Kepler B- CF
    8. Gibson B- SP
    9. Harrison B- 3B/1B
    10. Z. Jones B- RP/ SP
    11. A.B. Walker C+ 1B
    12. Boyd C+/B- SP
    13. Bard C+
    14. Melotakis C+
    15. Herrmann C+
    16. Hermsen C+ (RH version of Diamond) , hopefully
    17. Felix Jorge C++
    18. Goodrum
    19. Michael C+

    20. Boer C+
    Might want to update your sig then.
    Lew Ford?

  5. #25
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,509
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    If not Walker.....who's your 8-12 ranked guys??
    Mine go like this. This top 10 is easily the best amount of talent I've seen in the Twins system since I started following this team.
    1. Sano
    2. Arcia
    3. Buxton
    4. Hicks
    5. Rosario
    6. Gibson
    7. Berrios
    8. Kepler
    9. Benson
    10. Harrison
    11. Jorge
    12. Herrmann
    13. Jones
    14. Boyd
    15. Santana
    16. Polanco

  6. #26
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,812
    Like
    27
    Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    What are the odds we see both Arcia and Hicks at Target Field in 2012?
    September 2013 they should be there
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  7. #27
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,812
    Like
    27
    Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    If not Walker.....who's your 8-12 ranked guys??
    Mine go like this. This top 10 is easily the best amount of talent I've seen in the Twins system since I started following this team.
    1. Sano
    2. Arcia
    3. Buxton
    4. Hicks
    5. Rosario
    6. Gibson
    7. Berrios
    8. Kepler
    9. Benson
    10. Harrison
    11. Jorge
    12. Herrmann
    13. Jones
    14. Boyd
    15. Santana
    16. Polanco
    As in Felix Jorge? There are better pitching prospects in Dominican than him right now like Miguel Gonzalez, Javier Vargas and Damian Defrank who actually have pitched in games
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,812
    Like
    27
    Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Sure hope the excitement for Zach Jones is justified. I remember similar excitement for Pedro Guerra, for example, and he fizzled out.
    fizzled out ? Have you checked on him lately?

    His is having a 1.76 ERA, 0.922 WHIP, 9.4 K/9 and 3.53 K/BB for the single A Yankees as a 22 year old in A ball. Those numbers would put him right with the leaders at Beloit.

    The fact that the Twins cut him does not make him less of a player.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  9. #29
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,936
    Like
    46
    Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    As in Felix Jorge? There are better pitching prospects in Dominican than him right now like Miguel Gonzalez, Javier Vargas and Damian Defrank who actually have pitched in games
    Felix Jorge likely won't be in my Top 50, but he is a very good prospect. Very young, throws hard, developing secondary stuff. Jorge has a chance to move up, but could take him another two seasons just to get to Beloit. Very young. Very talented. Good, live arm.

  10. #30
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,787
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    I am just going to wait the rest of the minor league season out before making decisions. I definitely favor production at higher levels in the system though, so that benefits Hicks, Arcia, and Herrmann.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    309
    Like
    0
    Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
    [QUOTE=thrylos98;44992][QUOTE=Badsmerf;44979]
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post


    As in Felix Jorge? There are better pitching prospects in Dominican than him right now like Miguel Gonzalez, Javier Vargas and Damian Defrank who actually have pitched in games
    Felix Jorge has thrown 25 2/3 innings in the GCL with a 1.40 ERA. He's a top 20 Twins prospect for sure, though not #11.

    I don't get why so many people think Herrmann is a good prospect. He's really not a prospect at all... he's most likely a AAAA player, with back-up catcher upside. Back-up catchers are not a rare commodity. Maybe he could be ranked somewhere but not top 30.

  12. #32
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,936
    Like
    46
    Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    I don't get why so many people think Herrmann is a good prospect. He's really not a prospect at all... he's most likely a AAAA player, with back-up catcher upside. Back-up catchers are not a rare commodity. Maybe he could be ranked somewhere but not top 30.
    Because of Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit, it's likely that Herrmann will be a backup catcher for the Twins. But I don't at all see that as his ceiling. I think he can play for the Twins in that same Doumit role, where he is the #2/#3 catcher, but he is also a very good defensive outfielder. He's a catcher prospect who gives versatility, can hit .270ish, get on base a lot, hit 10-12 homers, hit doubles, and even steal a dozen bases.

    There's a lot of value in that.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    309
    Like
    0
    Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    I don't get why so many people think Herrmann is a good prospect. He's really not a prospect at all... he's most likely a AAAA player, with back-up catcher upside. Back-up catchers are not a rare commodity. Maybe he could be ranked somewhere but not top 30.
    Because of Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit, it's likely that Herrmann will be a backup catcher for the Twins. But I don't at all see that as his ceiling. I think he can play for the Twins in that same Doumit role, where he is the #2/#3 catcher, but he is also a very good defensive outfielder. He's a catcher prospect who gives versatility, can hit .270ish, get on base a lot, hit 10-12 homers, hit doubles, and even steal a dozen bases.

    There's a lot of value in that.
    He's barely doing what you describe as a 24 year-old in AA (over 200 games at that level)- how can he be expected to do that as a Major Leaguer? He is nowhere near the same caliber of hitter as Doumit... when he was the same age, Doumit hit .345/.415/.630 in AAA and then held his own with the Pirates. A .743 OPS at age 24 in AA just isn't any good at all.

    And Doumit himself was cheap to acquire and re-sign, so a homeless man's version of Doumit just isn't worth much.

  14. #34
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,149
    Like
    379
    Liked 341 Times in 226 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    I don't get why so many people think Herrmann is a good prospect. He's really not a prospect at all... he's most likely a AAAA player, with back-up catcher upside. Back-up catchers are not a rare commodity. Maybe he could be ranked somewhere but not top 30.
    Because of Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit, it's likely that Herrmann will be a backup catcher for the Twins. But I don't at all see that as his ceiling. I think he can play for the Twins in that same Doumit role, where he is the #2/#3 catcher, but he is also a very good defensive outfielder. He's a catcher prospect who gives versatility, can hit .270ish, get on base a lot, hit 10-12 homers, hit doubles, and even steal a dozen bases.

    There's a lot of value in that.
    He's barely doing what you describe as a 24 year-old in AA (over 200 games at that level)- how can he be expected to do that as a Major Leaguer? He is nowhere near the same caliber of hitter as Doumit... when he was the same age, Doumit hit .345/.415/.630 in AAA and then held his own with the Pirates. A .743 OPS at age 24 in AA just isn't any good at all.

    And Doumit himself was cheap to acquire and re-sign, so a homeless man's version of Doumit just isn't worth much.
    I think you missed the part about Hermann being a very good defensive catcher.

  15. #35
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,509
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    As in Felix Jorge? There are better pitching prospects in Dominican than him right now like Miguel Gonzalez, Javier Vargas and Damian Defrank who actually have pitched in games
    Felix Jorge likely won't be in my Top 50, but he is a very good prospect. Very young, throws hard, developing secondary stuff. Jorge has a chance to move up, but could take him another two seasons just to get to Beloit. Very young. Very talented. Good, live arm.
    I gave him a high spot based on his projectability. He has some work to do, but he's still just 18. I like his delivery, I like his arm, I just like him as a prospect right now. He will need to have better command and develop his other pitches as he moves up. He might be a little high, but that's why its my list lol.

  16. #36
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,576
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Unless Gibson is ready opening day there is not much help in the minor leagues for a talent upgrade for the start of 2013. Arcia could make it real hard for them to send him down with a good spring training. No middle infield help for a long time.

  17. #37
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,086
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I'm not seeing it for Herrmann tbh. He is on a tear in August though.

    I don't really understand how it's possible that Felix Jorge isn't a top 50 prospect. Imo he's at the tail end of the interesting but young group in the 10-20 range. He's thrown about the same number of pro innings as Berrios and the Berrios bandwagon is going nuts.

  18. #38
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,509
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I'm not seeing it for Herrmann tbh. He is on a tear in August though.

    I don't really understand how it's possible that Felix Jorge isn't a top 50 prospect. Imo he's at the tail end of the interesting but young group in the 10-20 range. He's thrown about the same number of pro innings as Berrios and the Berrios bandwagon is going nuts.
    The only reason I would rank Herrmann around the top 10 is because he is a catcher that can hit a little bit and play in the OF. I see a guy like him having a good chance to contribute.

  19. #39
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,616
    Like
    37
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Agree with Kab, there is no reason why Jorge shouldn't crack the top 20.

  20. #40
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,086
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post

    The only reason I would rank Herrmann around the top 10 is because he is a catcher that can hit a little bit and play in the OF. I see a guy like him having a good chance to contribute.
    Herrmann is a 24 yr old repeating AA with a .737 career OPS. If he's not catching then he's barely even a prospect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.