Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Friday Night Minor League Lights

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Friday Night Minor League Lights

some reports lately that Hermsens velocity has picked up....any verification on that

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for another excellent report. It's good to see Slama having a great comeback. What does Slama need to do to get propmoted?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He needs to be put on the 40 man roster spot for starters. This was a big reason I hated the Liriano trade, 2 more sub-par players taking up 40 man roster spots.

Slama & Benson, IMO, are just 2 prospects that the front office does not care for

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    They love Benson! His ceiling and talent are unbelievable, and they know it. They just want him to be more consistent.

I don't know enough about Eduardo Escobar or Pedro Hernandez to know if they have value or not.

And, Slama will be added to the 40 man roster the day that they call him up, and they will at some point. No worries.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Luke Bard is going to be re-evaluated today, but it appears that he's got some tendinitis. Hopefully nothing more than that.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pawtucket put the hurt on Rochester and Danny Valencia had three hits and two walks. Danny is headed back to Boston because Middlebrooks broke his wrist and is done for the season. Good timing for Danny V--he also timed his best run of baseball for his chance to play every day with the Twins in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    They love Benson! His ceiling and talent are unbelievable, and they know it. They just want him to be more consistent.

I don't know enough about Eduardo Escobar or Pedro Hernandez to know if they have value or not.

And, Slama will be added to the 40 man roster the day that they call him up, and they will at some point. No worries.
    I posted this in another thread about Joe......but while they may love his ceiling, I havent really heard anyone in orgainization (Ryan/Gardy/Molitor/Rantz) compliment/praise him for past 2 yrs but in interviews always seem to continually point out his faults/struggles. Dont know, but maybe he's type of guy who could use some positive reinforcements....heard he easily gets down on himself when he struggles.
    Specific point was Ryans radio show when question was about Joe hitting well since returning from injury (was 15/46 at time in New Brit w/power) & Ryans response was a 'blah' "well he should be hitting AA pitching at his age"......no compliment that he was coming around/turning his season around but a 'so what' comment.
    Slama, they definately dont like him cause he ONLY gets guys out consistently, but they like the 'stuff' Jeff Gray has

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Slama & Benson, IMO, are just 2 prospects that the front office does not care for
    I see these kind of comments a lot. People used to say siimilar things about Bartlett, Cuddyer early in his major league career, and many others. I don't think this is true very often and not particularly relevant even if it is.

The Twins are perhaps a bit fussier than other organizations about personnel behavior and fitting in than other organizations. Even if that is true, it is generally about performance. If you perform, you will get your chance. Slama and Benson have both gotten chances in the majors. Neither did particlarly well in those chances. It is clear both will likely get more chances.

Still using your example above, a hot couple weeks doesn't really erase a half season of poor play in Benson's case. Consistency is important. In Slama's case 2 things have to happen. His stuff isn't good enough to let him pitch around a lot walks at the major league level. The other thing is he has to be healthy, which he hasn't consistently been, for 2 years.

I have said in the past that major league clubs will play an ax murderer if he is good enough. While that isn't true, you can be all kinds of jerk, or make all kinds of bad personal discussions and still get more chances. You can find examples of that in the Twins organization.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    some reports lately that Hermsens velocity has picked up....any verification on that
    Since I never get to have first-hand information, I'll re-mention this:

On the stadium gun in Bowie two starts ago, Hermsen sat 88-91 for most of the game. Seemed like he worked with less velocity in the first and then grew into it as the game wore on. For reference, Bruce Pugh worked three innings that same night. He was 93-95mph in his first and into his second inning and then backed down to 90-91 in his third inning.