Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "Twins Way"

2 MVP's since 2006
    Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel all developed into good (or great) MLB hitters as Twins under their coaching.
    They also made guys like Alexi Casilla, Lew Ford, Nick Punto, Jason Bartlett and Christian Guzman be able to survive at the ML level and get on base.
    They've made the playoffs in 6 out of the past 10 years. I have no problem with their hitting coaches/players/style of play.

HOWEVER,
    They have averaged being ranked 8th in the AL (14 teams) for slugging % in the past 10 years and 10th in HRs.
    I prefer the "get him on, move him over and get him in" type baseball or "The Twins Way," but I know I am in the minority.

For those of you who want more power, is the power problem the coaches, players or front office?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also want to point out the "Twins way" was a result of budget constraints while playing in the dome. We had a limited budget to allow us a couple of "stars" & the rest of the roster was filled with "hungry" players that were molded into the "Twins way'. The players we signed had good basic skill sets & were taught that defense, base running aggressiveness, & hitting (in that order) were prerequisites to making this team. When we found a mix that worked, these players "fed" off each other leading to what became known as the "Twins way". GO TWINS!!

Great point sln, and let's not forget this is the same reason we have come to love the Twins in the first place: taking a low payroll bunch of no-namers and playing fundamentally sound baseball to win games and go to the playoffs. This 2012 season has a great chance of this typical Twins Way team turning some heads. Go Twins

First of all as a coach I love it when players hit the other way. It is a huge advantage for a team if they can have their players do this. The issue we have with the twins way shouldn't be how they want players to spray the ball around the field but how they continue to get players that dont have the ability to do it. For example if the twins wanted to change Hardy into someone he isnt then why do they go out and get him? In my opinion especially in pro ball where they can some what pick and choose who plays for them they should focus more on what fits the twins system than signing and attempting to change players. Obviously there are always changes that must be made but changing a strong pull hitter to a hitter that sprays the ball is a extremely large and difficult change.

The Twins have acknowledged that Willingham is a pull hitter and that it's easier to hit home runs if you pull it down the lines, so I don't think they're planning on changing his approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Auggie1313 View Post
    First of all as a coach I love it when players hit the other way. It is a huge advantage for a team if they can have their players do this. The issue we have with the twins way shouldn't be how they want players to spray the ball around the field but how they continue to get players that dont have the ability to do it. For example if the twins wanted to change Hardy into someone he isnt then why do they go out and get him? In my opinion especially in pro ball where they can some what pick and choose who plays for them they should focus more on what fits the twins system than signing and attempting to change players. Obviously there are always changes that must be made but changing a strong pull hitter to a hitter that sprays the ball is a extremely large and difficult change.

I was thinking the same thing this morning Auggie about Hardy. They knew what they were getting when they traded for him so they should have know to work with Hardy's strengths than change them. Of course the trainers not being able to figure out how to keep Hardy on the field was another problem (which Hardy also addressed that O's figured out his wrist issue).

Still, a new guy on the Twins is going to have a hard time not listening to someone like Carew-he commends respect. But as others have said, he was never a good hitting coach. Some players just can't teach their skills that well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12