Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Scott Diamond's Innings Pitched

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    427
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Scott Diamond's Innings Pitched

    Last season Diamond pitched 162 Innings between the minors and majors.

    So far he has tossed 149 innings this year.

    With the number of games remaining he could accumulate 10 more starts which would put him at around 220 innings by seasons end if they don't shut him down at some point.

    Do you think that they will let him pitch through the end of the season or will they shut him down around 200 IPs?

    I believe that they will shut him down when rosters expand in September to give Hendricks and/or Walters some innings.

  2. #2
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,924
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    20% more than 162 would put him just north of 200 innings. My guess is that once he gets to 200, they'll shut him down, or at least move him to the bullpen and be quite cautious.

  3. #3
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,695
    Like
    32
    Liked 773 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    What Seth said. I think they'll re-evaluate when he hits 200 and go from there. Diamond isn't that young and the Twins don't need to worry about him that much. On the flipside, there's no point in burning out your only decent starter in a lost September.

  4. #4
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,143
    Like
    375
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    20% more than 162 would put him just north of 200 innings. My guess is that once he gets to 200, they'll shut him down, or at least move him to the bullpen and be quite cautious.
    20% more would put him just south of 200 innings, but they would be prudent to shut him down at no more than 194/200 or even less. Right now, even only with his small window of success, until a trade or FA acquisition happens, he's the arm with the highest hopes heading into 2013.

  5. #5
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,635
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    If Walters or Pavano can ever re-join the rotation, I'd like to see the Twins go to a 6-man rotation. This would lessen the work load on all the young arms. Diamond can go 5 innings every 6 games and that's only 40 innings or so. I think that's doable with rosters expanding in a couple of weeks.

    I'd also like to see - and Seth and I talked a little about it over the weekend - the Twins do something similar when Kyle Gibson joins the team. Have him pitch once a week (Fridays?) and fill in around him. (It might work nicely too if Swarzak and Duensing are still on the roster and can swing.)

    I think the Nats should have done the same thing with Strasburg to keep his innings down. By not managing him better earlier this year, they run the risk of screwing themselves (and my fantasy team) by shutting him down early.

    All just crazy ideas, however... and if they were good ones, I'm sure we'd have seen someone do it already.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    427
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    If they just limited Diamond to 5 innings for the remainder of the season they wouldn't have to go to a 6-man rotation. 5 innings for 10 starts would give him 199 for the season.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,799
    Like
    27
    Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    If Walters or Pavano can ever re-join the rotation, I'd like to see the Twins go to a 6-man rotation. This would lessen the work load on all the young arms. Diamond can go 5 innings every 6 games and that's only 40 innings or so. I think that's doable with rosters expanding in a couple of weeks.

    I'd also like to see - and Seth and I talked a little about it over the weekend - the Twins do something similar when Kyle Gibson joins the team. Have him pitch once a week (Fridays?) and fill in around him. (It might work nicely too if Swarzak and Duensing are still on the roster and can swing.)

    I think the Nats should have done the same thing with Strasburg to keep his innings down. By not managing him better earlier this year, they run the risk of screwing themselves (and my fantasy team) by shutting him down early.

    All just crazy ideas, however... and if they were good ones, I'm sure we'd have seen someone do it already.

    I don't want to see Pavano pitch for the Twins ever again. It will be pointless. Walters is out of options and will probably be with the big club but 6 starters means only 6 in the pen, which means a very taxed pen. September is a different story with the expanded rosters. They can do whatever they want then.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  8. #8
    Think they will get Diamond to 162 major league innings to get him qualified for ERA title. I know he wont win, but get him in the top 10. They didnt qualify anyone last yr, so its a small step for a team to regain credibility. Of course, not every team cares about individual stats....but MN/Gardy does.
    Cole DeVries is actually 19 innings away from his career high & is currently 39 innings over last yr/36 over 2 yrs ago. If they shut down Diamond but not Cole.....shows the hypocricy they have. Team wont discuss Cole till he has a bad outing tho & that will be the excuse.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,799
    Like
    27
    Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Think they will get Diamond to 162 major league innings to get him qualified for ERA title. I know he wont win, but get him in the top 10. They didnt qualify anyone last yr, so its a small step for a team to regain credibility. Of course, not every team cares about individual stats....but MN/Gardy does.
    Cole DeVries is actually 19 innings away from his career high & is currently 39 innings over last yr/36 over 2 yrs ago. If they shut down Diamond but not Cole.....shows the hypocricy they have. Team wont discuss Cole till he has a bad outing tho & that will be the excuse.
    Are you counting AFL IP for Cole as well for last season?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  10. #10
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,340
    Like
    1,418
    Liked 1,084 Times in 489 Posts
    Diamond is 26...how much of an issue is this?

  11. #11
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,628
    Like
    840
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Diamond is 26...how much of an issue is this?
    Should be little to none. Let him pitch, if 20 innings are going to ruin him, no amount of babysitting is going to help.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    511
    Like
    0
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'd pitch Diamond for the duration, but just keep a close eye on his physical condition. Same with De Vries and Deduno. Let them pile up some innings, so they can start next season with as much experience as possible. I don't see much reason to keep Pav's around any longer, unless his heater finds that magic 92.

    Next year's starters: 4 D's and...Hendriks, Manship, Swarzak, Bromberg, etc. Whoever's arm isn't falling off at the moment.

    Maybe they should have a pitcher cattle call every spring. It worked pretty well this year...

  13. #13
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,635
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I don't want to see Pavano pitch for the Twins ever again. It will be pointless. Walters is out of options and will probably be with the big club but 6 starters means only 6 in the pen, which means a very taxed pen. September is a different story with the expanded rosters. They can do whatever they want then.
    The point would be that if Pavano regained the ability to throw, he could eat innings. Walters is out of options, so he'll rejoin the pitching staff in some capacity. Having six, seven, eight guys out of 12 or 13 that can throw five or six innings could be much less taxing on a bullpen than limiting guys to one inning at a time.

    You don't have to like my idea, obviously, but if I'm paying Carl Pavano (like I said, assuming that he's regained the ability to throw) and the result of the game doesn't matter much, I'm running him out there until his arm falls off, regardless of whether I really want to see him or not (and I don't).

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Think they will get Diamond to 162 major league innings to get him qualified for ERA title. I know he wont win, but get him in the top 10. They didnt qualify anyone last yr, so its a small step for a team to regain credibility. Of course, not every team cares about individual stats....but MN/Gardy does.
    Cole DeVries is actually 19 innings away from his career high & is currently 39 innings over last yr/36 over 2 yrs ago. If they shut down Diamond but not Cole.....shows the hypocricy they have. Team wont discuss Cole till he has a bad outing tho & that will be the excuse.
    Are you counting AFL IP for Cole as well for last season?
    No....was only a reliever the last 2 yrs also

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Think they will get Diamond to 162 major league innings to get him qualified for ERA title. I know he wont win, but get him in the top 10. They didnt qualify anyone last yr, so its a small step for a team to regain credibility. Of course, not every team cares about individual stats....but MN/Gardy does.
    Cole DeVries is actually 19 innings away from his career high & is currently 39 innings over last yr/36 over 2 yrs ago. If they shut down Diamond but not Cole.....shows the hypocricy they have. Team wont discuss Cole till he has a bad outing tho & that will be the excuse.
    I don't think Diamond and De Vries can be mentioned on the same level. Diamond is part of the solution going forward, De Vries might not pitch in the majors again after this season.
    Papers...business papers.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    De Vries should not pitch in the majors again after this season.
    I fixed it for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.