Thread: All Star Festivities

Liked 203 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries

All Star Festivities

This weekend, the NBA had its all star weekend. Friday night was the celebrity game and the rookie and second year player games. Saturday was the skills competition, the 3-point contest (won by Kevin Love) and the dunk contest (including Wolves Derrick Williams). Sunday night was the All-Star game itself.

The NFL's Pro Bowl is just a game and it's between the league championship games and the Super Bowl.

The NHL... I have no idea what they do besides a game.

MLB's All Star game is generally considered to be the best. There is a HR Derby.

Which All-Star festivities are the best? If baseball did decide to do some sort of skills competitions (besides the HR Derby), what would it even do? Ground ball competitions? Bunting to a spot? Baseball Golf?

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The NHL has a skills competition similar to the NBA's. Fastest skater, hardest shot and so on. I've always thought there should be more skills in the MLB all-star weekend. Maybe the catchers can see who can throw out the most people at second. There could be a target that moves throughout the field and players can try to hit the target.

I like the NBA's 3-point, Skills and Dunk competitions more than I like the actual All Star game itself. And I like them more than the HR Derby as well I think. But the MLB All Star game itself is unparalleled in other sports.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Adding some other things on the same night as the home run derby would be cool. The celebrity softball game is stupid. A skills competition would be neat but I am not sure what they could do. In my mind I see guys in the outfield trying to throw into a trash can set-up behind home plate.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post
    Adding some other things on the same night as the home run derby would be cool. The celebrity softball game is stupid. A skills competition would be neat but I am not sure what they could do. In my mind I see guys in the outfield trying to throw into a trash can set-up behind home plate.
    They did this in Fort Wayne 2 years ago at the MWL ASG and it was a complete disaster, no one came close to hitting the target at homeplate.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Which All-Star festivities are the best? If baseball did decide to do some sort of skills competitions (besides the HR Derby), what would it even do? Ground ball competitions? Bunting to a spot? Baseball Golf?
    I rarely watch any of those (heck I do not watch any basketball or hockey at all) other than occasionally the MLB All-Star game if I have nothing better to do. I love football but just cannot watch the Pro Bowl.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98