Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Jair Jurrjens

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts

Jair Jurrjens

Atlanta might non-tender the 26 year old former all star instead of paying him about 5.9m next year. The article mentions the Twins might be a team willing to make a trade this offseason for Jurrjens. Obviously, he's been horrible this year but he was pretty good in 08, 09 and 11 and is still young. He was never much of strike out pitcher and managed only 4.7 k/9 in AAA this year before being recalled and going on the DL. He's certainly not going to be an ace but, if it works out, he could be a good and cheap back of the rotation starter, good for 20 starts and 140 innings or so, as he pitches himself back into shape.

I think he'd be an interesting non-tender pick up but I probably wouldn't want to trade much for him and pay him nearly 6m.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I dont' think the Twins need any more non-strikeout guys. Jurrjens did have a few good seasons in there, but that was NL and not exactly huge strike out rates. I'd rather them target guys who profile to be more than a back rotation starter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I dont' think the Twins need any more non-strikeout guys. Jurrjens did have a few good seasons in there, but that was NL and not exactly huge strike out rates. I'd rather them target guys who profile to be more than a back rotation starter.
    They can certainly do both though. 2m on Jurrjens is, in my opinion, a better idea than 3m on Marquis. And I'm not as concerned about the Twins pursuing "Twins way" pitchers as others. They're underrated and cheap. I don't know if Jurrjens will be able to pitch in the AL, it's a legitimate concern but if the Twins decide to buy low on him (presumably after discussing that issue) I wouldn't criticize them for it.

seems like he's a candidate for tj surgery down the line? maybe breaking down like Webb or Sheets? I'd like the Twins to try and sign him though if he's non-tendered. maybe they will get lucky and maybe Jurrjens just needs better str and conditioning.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds like another Nick Blackburn

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhawaii View Post
    seems like he's a candidate for tj surgery down the line? maybe breaking down like Webb or Sheets? I'd like the Twins to try and sign him though if he's non-tendered. maybe they will get lucky and maybe Jurrjens just needs better str and conditioning.
    Ha, just what the Twins are known for.

You wait for him to be non-tendered. A team would be foolish to trade for him unless they truly believe he is worth $5+ million.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I tend to agree that taking pitchers who are only marginally effective in the NL and moving them to the AL usually ends poorly. If the Twins took a shot at him for 2 Mil, I'd be fine with that as long it didn't preclude them from bringing in another legitimate starter to lead the staff. The problem is they'd probably figure he fills a spot in the rotation and they'd be done, just like they did with Marquis this year. Our track record and bringing these sorts of guys in and getting decent production out of them is pretty bad. Pavano is the only guy in recent memory that has provided much, but he was coming from the AL.

I know the difference in quality between the AL and NL isn't that huge, but it seems to make a big difference in fringe type guys like this.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    I'd rather offer Jurrjens the token 1 year 2 mil contract instead of the next Ortiz/Marquis. Other than that I am not very interested.