Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: Reusse: It's time to end the Twins glove affair with Nishioka

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,433
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Reusse: It's time to end the Twins glove affair with Nishioka

    Patrick Reusse's Star Tribune article: http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...6.html?refer=y

  2. #2
    Thanks for the link. Rough assessment. I was excited when we signed Nishioka because international signings aren't something i'm used to seeing from the Twins. A friend of mine is still a firm believer in Nishi (Yoshi would have been a much better nickname by the way) but I'm settled in my belief that the Twins were a little out of their element on this one.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,893
    Like
    75
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    It sounds like Gardy might be sending a message to the front office.
    "Stop sending me garbage to the major league lineup, if you are going to send me crap I will showcase them and show everyone just how bad they are"

    I sorta wonder if he is pissed that a guy like Gray is still on the major league team as well.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Patrick Reusse's Star Tribune article: http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...6.html?refer=y
    Thanks for the post Seth... Nothing too telling in this article, Nishi still stinks, he is still on the team, yada yada yada....

    I did think it was somewhat interesting to see TR's response to Reusse's question of why Gardy said Nishi was "here to play". IMO, him saying it's up to Gardy to make the lineup with the 25 players available, is a big cop out. Of course Gardy has to make a lineup with his available players, TR did nothing to explain why Nishi is one of those 25 men. This has the stink of FO pressure all over it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,893
    Like
    75
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    Thanks for the post Seth... Nothing too telling in this article, Nishi still stinks, he is still on the team, yada yada yada....

    I did think it was somewhat interesting to see TR's response to Reusse's question of why Gardy said Nishi was "here to play". IMO, him saying it's up to Gardy to make the lineup with the 25 players available, is a big cop out. Of course Gardy has to make a lineup with his available players, TR did nothing to explain why Nishi is one of those 25 men. This has the stink of FO pressure all over it.
    I know John mentioned that he had heard this all went above the GM as well when they signed him, part of me wonders if Ryan isn't being allowed to cut Nishioka himself since there is still a decent 5+ million investment in him at this point. Maybe "showcasing" him is the best thing that can happen so it allows them to cut him soon.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Play him in front of the home crowd, let's see what he can do!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I know John mentioned that he had heard this all went above the GM as well when they signed him, part of me wonders if Ryan isn't being allowed to cut Nishioka himself since there is still a decent 5+ million investment in him at this point. Maybe "showcasing" him is the best thing that can happen so it allows them to cut him soon.
    I tend to agree with you on this. TR has never been a guy that sugar coats things. I don't doubt that he may have signed off on calling up Nishi based on the reports from AAA... but I can't imagine after the last three games that TR would keep him around any longer unless the higher ups were forcing him to do so. Maybe the people above TR want to try and rake in some extra revenue from the international markets to try and make up some of the money they have put into this guy... Just a thought.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    150
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Twins are smarter than this...it makes no sense.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,151
    Like
    1,230
    Liked 1,182 Times in 693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I know John mentioned that he had heard this all went above the GM as well when they signed him, part of me wonders if Ryan isn't being allowed to cut Nishioka himself since there is still a decent 5+ million investment in him at this point. Maybe "showcasing" him is the best thing that can happen so it allows them to cut him soon.
    I wondered about this, too, especially in light of the mention in Scooter Now's column (cited by Parker) that the Twins put aside their work on several endorsement deals for Nishioka last winter given his play.

    Have to wonder how much non-baseball factors played into signing him and now giving him this new opportunity; however, Ryan must be willing to go along with it. To me, the "interim" tag gives Ryan a fair amount of power. Play too many games with him and I would guess that he'll chuck it a 2nd time -- but I do see him as fiscally conservative so it must be hard for him to see the money squandered on Nishioka so he's probably willing to see if anything can be recouped.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    152
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    So after all this maybe the notion of giving Mastroianni or Dinkelman a good look at second base isn't so foolhardy.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,135
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Nishioka is the least of the Twins' problems right now. Paying too much attention to him is exactly what this team wants the press and the fans to do, so they are not talking about the general suckage of the product on the field second season in a row.

    Playing Nishioka every day might earn TR the title of the Executive of the Millennium
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Posts
    658
    Like
    7
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    I did hear that playing Nishi was mostly b/c of FO pressure, but I hope to goodness that they send him back down THE SECOND Trever Plouffe is ready to play again. I also agree with an article on 1500espn.com, where Mackey wrote that calling up and playing Nishi is part of the "scholarship program" that the Twins said they had done away with. The Twins are probably just seeing if they can get anything out of Nishi before releasing him this offseason (not that I know they are releasing him, just makes the most sense.)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    839
    Like
    408
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Back up your opinion, thrylos.

    Oh, you can't? Yep. Just more crap.

  14. #14
    I like Reusse's stuff, and all of the points made in this article were accurate, but I still cringe a little when I hear the "go back to Japan" or "time to say Sayonara" rhetoric. The guy is a human being. He showed up to Spring Training in advance of even the pitchers and catchers. He had an established track record of professional success in Japan that seemed reasonably certain to translate to some degree of MLB success, and it just didn't. The only difference (and the source of bitterness) is that you have to pay these international guys up front, whereas you can look at a minor leaguer in the bigs before you have to pay them. I feel kind of bad for him, but he's absolutely terrible and has to go.

    I remember seeing his jersey at the Mall of America already marked down to $30 by like June 2011. That pretty much summed it up.

  15. #15
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,212
    Like
    366
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    it's a lost season, so I dont' mind calling him up to see if the improvement he showed in Rochester was legit... scholarship program or not.... but it's pretty obvious (thus far at least) that it isn't. Cannot hurt to give him another day or so until Plouffe is ready just to see what's there, but my suspicion is that this is going to be viewed as a sunk cost come December.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I like Reusse's stuff, and all of the points made in this article were accurate, but I still cringe a little when I hear the "go back to Japan" or "time to say Sayonara" rhetoric. The guy is a human being. He showed up to Spring Training in advance of even the pitchers and catchers. He had an established track record of professional success in Japan that seemed reasonably certain to translate to some degree of MLB success, and it just didn't. The only difference (and the source of bitterness) is that you have to pay these international guys up front, whereas you can look at a minor leaguer in the bigs before you have to pay them. I feel kind of bad for him, but he's absolutely terrible and has to go.

    I remember seeing his jersey at the Mall of America already marked down to $30 by like June 2011. That pretty much summed it up.
    Thank you for taking a moment to recognize that he is a human being like the rest of us. I will not say that I haven't been critical of him, and at times made jokes about his terrible play (i.e. Rhomba vacuum cleaner with a glove > Nishi) ... because like everyone else, I feel he needs to go.

    But stereotypes and comments about his race are completely unnecessary and at times can be pretty offensive. Shouldn't someone be monitoring these boards for that type of language? I am sure that there are a variety of different ethnicity's between the people posting/reading comments on here. Are we the only two that have felt it is going too far?

  17. #17
    Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Posts
    174
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I like Reusse's stuff, and all of the points made in this article were accurate, but I still cringe a little when I hear the "go back to Japan" or "time to say Sayonara" rhetoric. The guy is a human being. He showed up to Spring Training in advance of even the pitchers and catchers. He had an established track record of professional success in Japan that seemed reasonably certain to translate to some degree of MLB success, and it just didn't. The only difference (and the source of bitterness) is that you have to pay these international guys up front, whereas you can look at a minor leaguer in the bigs before you have to pay them. I feel kind of bad for him, but he's absolutely terrible and has to go.

    I remember seeing his jersey at the Mall of America already marked down to $30 by like June 2011. That pretty much summed it up.
    The article doesn't make any new points that aren't well known and established already, offers no new insight, and it's Reusse's shtick to be cantankerous to those whom aren't in his favor. It's hard to say what his exact source of bitterness is, but my guess it has more than a little to being rude to everyone and squandering a carrer most sports fans would love to have being a alcoholic.

    He was saying that Mauer should tell the team he wont play, he's got bilateral leg weakness again, until this 'piece of crap' (Nishioka) is no longer on the team. (Later in that same conversation he calling Beloit a dump and other off topic name calling).

    Nishi didn't work out, and the main issue that none of the radio or paper media seem to dig into is what happened with the scouting, which is the real issue. I heard the first tidbit on that a couple weeks ago on the radio with TR when he claims 'they' went back to the tapes and still see a guy they want to bring over. Why that isn't looked into further rather than pointing out the obvious I don't know.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,193
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    152
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    But stereotypes and comments about his race are completely unnecessary and at times can be pretty offensive. Shouldn't someone be monitoring these boards for that type of language? I am sure that there are a variety of different ethnicity's between the people posting/reading comments on here. Are we the only two that have felt it is going too far?
    No, you're not.

    Saying stupid things to make a point just makes those posters look infantile. I think the board admins do pay attention to this, but they do have day jobs and lives too.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Nishioka is the least of the Twins' problems right now. Paying too much attention to him is exactly what this team wants the press and the fans to do, so they are not talking about the general suckage of the product on the field second season in a row.

    Playing Nishioka every day might earn TR the title of the Executive of the Millennium
    Is he the biggest problem we have right now? No.

    Do we have a multitude of improvements that are needed to become relevant again? Yes.

    Is this a conspiracy by the front office to focus fans attention on Nishi and not our other more important needs? NO... Does anyone realistically believe that the Twins would bring up a guy like this to cloud over the other deficiencies that we have? Why would any major league baseball team want to completely embarrase itself on a national stage, just to cover up their personnel issues? Since Nishi has been called up, there has been a lot of attention on him, but the people that actually know anything about this team have not forgot about what our most important problems are. Starting Pitching, better MI defense/offense, and a deeper farm system with young high upside players.

    You have been watching too much TV and Movies Thrylos, please come back to reality...

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,893
    Like
    75
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    But stereotypes and comments about his race are completely unnecessary and at times can be pretty offensive. Shouldn't someone be monitoring these boards for that type of language?
    Feel free to get off your soapbox on this non existent issue anytime now. Nobody has said anything offensive regarding Nishioka. People saying "he should be sent back to Japan" isn't racist/inappropriate in the least, and "time to say sayonara to nishi" isn't bad either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.