Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Awards - July

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Awards - July

Liked 299 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is encouraging.

Do you think that Kepler should be promoted to Beloit?

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No love for Kenys? I know he just played in 9 games in July, but he did more in those 9 games than more players in the organization did in 30

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    This is encouraging.

I would keep Kepler in E-Town so he can experience being a key cog in a playoff run. Let him start next year in Beloit along with Buxton, Goodrum, and Walker.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Piranha View Post
    I would keep Kepler in E-Town so he can experience being a key cog in a playoff run. Let him start next year in Beloit along with Buxton, Goodrum, and Walker.

Beloit will be in the Playoffs also with Sano, Rosario, Vargas, Williams and Wheeler. It would be great to have him up.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    This was a fun read, Seth. Thinking back to last season, I wonder if we had this many strong one-month performances all year!

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    This is encouraging.

I've honestly been surprised he didn't play with Beloit this year. I realize he had to play with somebody's roster during ST, but he played with Beloit's while I was down there this year and he stood out during in-game action more than anybody (far more). Wasn't really all that impressed with Sano or Rosario's in game action then (other things about them impressed though, obviously), but Kepler impressed mightily. Here's one of his hits I caught on tape: http://www.twitpic.com/8zswq4 (Every time I saw him bat, he hit something like this. Every time.)

Since then, he basically been my favorite prospect. It was kind of frustrating having to wait until June for him to play. What I like best about his season with E-Town so far (besides the power that's shown up), is he's walked just as many times as he's struck out....
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    "...(Every time I saw him bat, he hit something like this. Every time.)

Since then, he basically been my favorite prospect..."

When the Twins drafted him, at 16 yrs old, I sought out videos of the kid. Two that I found were startling and very memorable. In fact it's fair to say they were so startling my whole universe shifted at that point. The first was him taking BP. Launching ball after ball. He exhibited a swing reminiscent of Griffey. So smooth, graceful and powerful it looked lazy. I thought incredible swing for a kid that young from a country where BB was about eighteenth down on the list of sports kids were interested in. Then I found a video of him with a couple of game at bats. He showed a swing like Maurer's. Hands inside, short to the ball with great balance. From my point of view, showing either style would've been impressive. But to demonstrate competence at 2 distinct and viable styles, at 16 with his background, was something I would not have believed possible if I hadn't seen it. I knew then that the kid was given a gift, and if he didn't fall off the rails the Twins had a monster on their hands. From everthing I've read since, it sounds like the kids got fantastic makeup. IMO, he's the surest thing the Twins have in the minors.

Seth, thanks for the work that goes into this stuff. I greatly appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Paul - Not sure if you're mocking me or being serious...maybe a little of both?! But he's the first Twins prospect In my years of following them where watching him play in person drastically altered my opinion of him from what I had formed reading and watching elsewhere. In my opinion, he's legit, and should be up much higher on peoples Top 10 prospect lists next year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Steve, I was not mocking you. I was 100% sincere. I do believe he is the surest thing in the system.

I'm sorry you got the impression you did. I try and catch myself from making disparaging or belittling comments about, or to, other commenters. (Except my filter seems to go offline when it is a "return in kind" situation.)

Anyway, I value your firsthand observation. Your opinion carries weight with me.

Blog Entries
    haha, no worries. Something while reading it just made me wonder, but the sincerity is there as well. I started a "Max Kepler" thread not too long after I watched him (before the "adopt-a-prospect" series was started), trying to see if anyone else would jump on the bandwagon. Now perhaps they are.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.