Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to just release him?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBaxter View Post
    It almost makes me wonder if he is tanking on purpose so he does get released and can go back to Japan with the 4 million left on his contract. If he were to quit on his own, it would admit failure and he would lose the money left on his contract.
    The only thing that would have made his day worse, is if he had gone up into the clubhouse in between innings, grabbed a beer and then tripped and spilled it all over Gardy's uniform as he was running back onto the field.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I saw that one when I was at work. He lost the ball, turned his back and just walked away. He then saw it land and continued walking away like the play didn't count or something like that. Revere had to pick up the ball and throw it in.

I hope his translator conveyed the tone properly when Gardy was screaming at him in the club house.
    Only if Ryo mimicked the effects of early onset pulmonary embolism.

Duensing was screaming into his glove, Primal Scream-like at the end of that inning. Gardy in the postgame presser was red-faced and having trouble breathing. This cannot end well.

I feel sorry for Nishi, but yeah it's time to cut bait. He's had enough time to figure things out, it appears he is just not built for the American game.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    The only thing that would have made his day worse, is if he had gone up into the clubhouse in between innings, grabbed a beer and then tripped and spilled it all over Gardy's uniform as he was running back onto the field.
    I would have given him credit for that.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Only if Ryo mimicked the effects of early onset pulmonary embolism.

Duensing was screaming into his glove, Primal Scream-like at the end of that inning. Gardy in the postgame presser was red-faced and having trouble breathing. This cannot end well.
    So are the Twins playing chicken with their medical insurance rates to get Gardy to quit without firing him?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me put it this way:

- Believe it or not, Nishioka is not the reason the Twins lost 99 last season and are in pace of losing 90+ this season
    - This team has bigger fish to fry that dealing with whether or not Nishioka can be the 25th man on the 2013 roster
    - And this is a team that carried the likes of Matt Tolbert and Brian Butcher on division winning rosters

Bigger fish to fry. Really. And, yes, Nishioka is who he is. He cannot help it. If you want to complain about someone complain about the manager who is playing him or the general manager who got him to the majors.

And here is the kicker: Nishioka's play did not cost the Twins a single game. Even if he caught everything thrown his way today they would still have lost...

Bigger.Fish.To.Fry
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    So are the Twins playing chicken with their medical insurance rates to get Gardy to quit without firing him?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    It is more what he "didn't" do today.... I was also working but caught the main error on lunch. High fly ball hit to Nishi in short right field, he looked up as if he was tracking the ball and at the last minute just left it fall behind him. According to Gladden, instead of running to pick up the ball, Nishi just turned his back to it in disgust and walked back towards the infield.

Players are going to lose a ball from time to time, that is totally acceptable. What isn't is walking away from the ball and making Revere sprint in from right field and make the throw.
    I just watched it and I don't like Nishioka at all, but if Gladden said that then he is blatantly lying to make Nishioka look worse. Nishioka clearly thought it landed behind him and turned his back to look for the damn ball. It actually landed on the infield side and he turned around as soon as he heard it fall. It's pretty disgusting when announcers have to start in on players like that

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    and at the time, most of us considered that a real possiblity... His projections by the good folks over at BP was a .270ish hitter, which was a huge improvement over the likes of Tolbert and Punto... or so we thought

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I saw that one when I was at work. He lost the ball, turned his back and just walked away. He then saw it land and continued walking away like the play didn't count or something like that. Revere had to pick up the ball and throw it in.

I hope his translator conveyed the tone properly when Gardy was screaming at him in the club house.
    That's actually not what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    and at the time, most of us considered that a real possiblity... His projections by the good folks over at BP was a .270ish hitter, which was a huge improvement over the likes of Tolbert and Punto... or so we thought
    I liked the move as well.

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    That's actually not what happened.
    I know he lost the ball in the sun. That does happen. I wasn't that mad about that part. It was more his reaction. I'm sure he turned to look for direction from Span or Dozier, but he didn't exactly go after the ball after it landed.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I liked the move as well.
    I would like to go on the record as saying I hated the move.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I just watched it and I don't like Nishioka at all, but if Gladden said that then he is blatantly lying to make Nishioka look worse. Nishioka clearly thought it landed behind him and turned his back to look for the damn ball. It actually landed on the infield side and he turned around as soon as he heard it fall. It's pretty disgusting when announcers have to start in on players like that
    I'm not a Gladden fan, but how can he make Nishi look worse? To me, it did appear that he was "walking away" with no sense of urgency, whether he knew where the ball was or not. It was funny, on TV they said there was likely a Sun problem- as the camera panned to a shot of a very overcast sky.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I only believe you if Dave can verify it from the BYTO archives...

To be fair DPJ hate(d)/(s) most every move the Twins make.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tell Dave to go nuts, hell I'm pretty sure the whole JJ/Nishi debates lead to the most fun I've ever had on BYTO.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To be fair DPJ hate(d)/(s) most every move the Twins make.
    And maybe I'm onto something since they suck.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Can this post make the Hall of Posts?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    "Nishioka 4 Twins 2"

Bert Byleven August 8 2012

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast