Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next Year's Needs Start With Outstanding Defensive SS and 2B

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    puke on my tennies thinking about Nishi, Escobar, Florimon, or Nishi playing every day.
    Have you ever watched Florimon or Escobar play? Or the second Nishi (whomever that might be?) Just asking out of curiosity
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    All of the concerns about being equipped to manage a more diverse workforce are of course legitimate. But this whole notion that we need a wholesale change in the ethnic composite of the organization because of language barriers and cultural insensitivities contains its own elements of racial and cultural bigotry. Show me direct evidence of a negative effect.
    Who said wholesale change in ethnic composition? Shaking up the moribund thinking by bringing in quality guys with legitimate pedigree of any ethnicity has been the mantra in this thread. If one or two is Latino with high pedigree it just means value-added.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Have you ever watched Florimon or Escobar play? Or the second Nishi (whomever that might be?) Just asking out of curiosity
    That's the thing about sequels, they're never as good as the original....

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    I don't get the love for Casilla. As a second baseman, he's substandard when you add it all up. And he's already a proven failure as a SS (how quickly some people forget).

I doubt Carroll can hack it as an everyday SS anymore either.

The choices for SS for 2013 are Dozier, someone currently in the minors, a trade, or a FA. Might as well let Dozier play out the season and figure it out over the winter.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Assuming his glove is what it's cracked up to be, I think the best bet is to go with Escobar at short and bat him ninth, then figure out a 2B who can give you at least something with the bat. It's been a long time since the Twins have even had a steady defender at SS.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I don't get the love for Casilla. As a second baseman, he's substandard when you add it all up. And he's already a proven failure as a SS (how quickly some people forget).

I doubt Carroll can hack it as an everyday SS anymore either.

The choices for SS for 2013 are Dozier, someone currently in the minors, a trade, or a FA. Might as well let Dozier play out the season and figure it out over the winter.
    My vote for the choice the Twins end up making is a MI consisting of Carroll, Dozier and "someone currently in the minors" (Escobar most likely), although it would be quite easy to trade a prospect for an equivalent or small upgrade to the latter two- at close to the same amount they're paying for the MI this year.
    Last edited by jokin; 08-09-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123