Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pavano's rehab start

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pavano's rehab start

Fort Myers Miracles' play-by-play man, Brice Zimmerman, tweeted out that Hammond Stadium's radar gun was registering Carl Pavano's fastball at 85 and his "curve" (which I believe he meant change) at 75. That's just slightly below his average velocity on the year - which was down prior to his injury.

In his first inning of work, Pavano surrendered a home run but recorded a strike out and got two more ground outs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    that doesn't sound too good.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope he gets well enough for the Twins to trade him for something and if they cannot trade him, I hope the Twins do what the Indians did with Lowe and let the kids pitch as 2013 auditions.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    At this point, does it make any difference if/when Pavano gets back to the big leagues? Even if he manages to make a start or two before the end of August, you're not going to get anything of value for him, and he's not going to be a Twins in 2013. I'd rather they just put the Pavano 2 yr contract mistake behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    At this point, does it make any difference if/when Pavano gets back to the big leagues? Even if he manages to make a start or two before the end of August, you're not going to get anything of value for him, and he's not going to be a Twins in 2013. I'd rather they just put the Pavano 2 yr contract mistake behind them.
    *ding ding ding* We have a winner, Bob!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep. Don't care at this point. In fact, it's probably better if he doesn't pitch. That way, the front office remembers him for his latest injury instead of 2-3 mediocre starts late in a lost season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Yep. Don't care at this point. In fact, it's probably better if he doesn't pitch. That way, the front office remembers him for his latest injury instead of 2-3 mediocre starts late in a lost season.
    Yeah, he has not been a factor in what the Twin have done since the ALlstar break.
    That salary will help them get something after this year.
    It's just too bad he goes out this way. Not good for him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I I hope the Twins do what the Indians did with Lowe and let the kids pitch as 2013 auditions.

Which kids? Who's left?
    Hendricks?

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Which kids? Who's left?
    Hendricks?
    To begin with, yes. Hendriks (with no "c") needs a steady job. Plouffe got a steady job and ran with it. Valencia had a steady job last season and punted it. The only way we know what we have is if we give him a chance. Hendriks has nothing left to prove in AAA - he's making the International League his bitch. It's time for him to take his lumps in the majors without the specter of demotion hanging over his head.

After that, let's see what we have in Pedro Hernandez. Is he going to be a part of the staff or is he organizational filler? We won't know until we try, and we have no real reason not to.

The other guy we might give a shot to is Deolis Guerra. I don't think he's ready yet, but maybe give him a September call up?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Fort Myers Miracles' play-by-play man, Brice Zimmerman, tweeted out that Hammond Stadium's radar gun was registering Carl Pavano's fastball at 85 and his "curve" (which I believe he meant change) at 75. That's just slightly below his average velocity on the year - which was down prior to his injury.

In his first inning of work, Pavano surrendered a home run but recorded a strike out and got two more ground outs.
    From what I saw, it looked like he had good control, getting ahead in the count, not walking anyone, getting ground ball outs. He did give up that homer in the first and a solid single in the second. His fastball was right in the 84-86 mph range both innings.

I actually believe they WILL resign him & pass him off as a 'new' veteran pitcher for next yr.
    Hope Im wrong, but this is the Twins/Terry Ryan

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Just cut bait already. I'm afraid you are correct greengoblin.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I actually believe they WILL resign him & pass him off as a 'new' veteran pitcher for next yr.
    Hope Im wrong, but this is the Twins/Terry Ryan
    I hope you're wrong, too, and if it were to occur, it better not be for guaranteed money, even at Marquis-levels.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    One of the classiest things I've seen in recent years is when Radke knew his arm was dead and didn't try to force coming back an extra year. If Carl can't get his velocity back, hope he decides to do the same. He shouldn't have much trouble finding work as a coach.

Meanwhile if the Twins resign someone it should be Baker.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that even a C prospect would be better than nothing. Such C prospect might later be packaged as part of a decent trade, and Pavano could get a chance with a contender. Also, Pavano could take one of Diamond's start, so that Diamond could get some rest.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    One of the classiest things I've seen in recent years is when Radke knew his arm was dead and didn't try to force coming back an extra year. If Carl can't get his velocity back, hope he decides to do the same. He shouldn't have much trouble finding work as a coach.

Meanwhile if the Twins resign someone it should be Baker.
    Given the problems in New York, I wasn't sure what we were getting in Pavano. He seems to be a stand-up guy and if it's the end of the road, he'll likely go out with class and not attempt to steal from an unrealistically structured last contract.

Baker can't be touched until the contract option issues ($9.5M?) are mutually agreed to be off the table. Would any insurance company short of LLoyds of London underwrite the policy on either one of these contracts for 2013?

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Amen. Baker has been up and down with injuries but we would be crazy to not offer some sort of safe incentive laden contract. he has the ability to bring it when healthy and what he is capable of is far better then the rummage sale guys like marquis or Hernandez.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pavano doesn't play for the Twins at this point. It's basically time to cut our losses and move on. Capps is a little different on the other hand, but I'm guessing he doesn't get moved. I hope we re-sign Capps again in the offseason. Maybe then we could trade him that time around.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    It seems to me that even a C prospect would be better than nothing. Such C prospect might later be packaged as part of a decent trade, and Pavano could get a chance with a contender. Also, Pavano could take one of Diamond's start, so that Diamond could get some rest.
    Pavano wouldn't bring back a C prospect at this point. You'd be lucky to just offload his salary, I think.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Would any insurance company short of LLoyds of London underwrite the policy on either one of these contracts for 2013?
    You can insure just about anything. You might not like the price.

I don't think either of these guys should get a contract that is a large enough risk to require mitigating with insurance. (Major keague teams insure Mauer-like contracts, not Marquis-like contracts.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast