Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Update on the Twins and Beloit for years going forward

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Update on the Twins and Beloit for years going forward

I happened to talk to 2 of the Beloit board members regarding next year with the Twins. Both of them told me the same story, the Twins have told Beloit that they did not intend to sign a new PDC until after the season, and that they planned on keeping Beloit as a fallback option. In Beloit it is well known that the Twins and Beloit have not been on the same page over the last year. Apparently Beloit has wanted the Twins to kick in more money for a new stadium. For what it is worth, the Twins and Beloit are un-likely to re up for next year unless something dramatic changes.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Any idea where the Twins want to go to?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cedar Rapids, direct flight from Minneapolis. Seems like it is a no brainer cause the Angels aren't re upping with them.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    Cedar Rapids, direct flight from Minneapolis. Seems like it is a no brainer cause the Angels aren't re upping with them.
    That's not a certainty yet. Still a lot of talking and negotiating to do on all sides.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Direct flight from Minneapolis does not matter as much as proximity to Fort Myers and Elizabethton.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How new of a stadium is Cedar Rapids, and how would the Twins benefit from having their team there? Not saying I don't want them to move, I am just ignorant of baseball politics.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    How new of a stadium is Cedar Rapids, and how would the Twins benefit from having their team there? Not saying I don't want them to move, I am just ignorant of baseball politics.
    I like Cedar Rapids stadium. They would likely get double the attendance by going to Cedar Rapids than in Beloit. The Stadium is above average. The proximity to E Town or Fort Myers has nothing to do with where they will look to put their A team next year. There is still lots of negotiating to be done, but I would say the odds of the twins returning to Beloit is around 30%.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Clearly there is a benefit to having ONE minor league team remotely in the MLB team's general vicinity! I would hope that, if not CR, then it isn't farther away than Beloit (for those in MN's sake).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they were worried about being close to FT Myers and E-Town they would likely go to Lexington or a different team in the Sally......not 2 hours away from their old city....

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,181 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Direct flight from Minneapolis does not matter as much as proximity to Fort Myers and Elizabethton.
    Nothing in the Midwest League will be proximate to Fort Myers or Elizabethton. Are there any openings in the South Atlantic League?

A one-hop flight may be convenient for the occasional rehab stint for a major leaguer though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    The Player Facility's in Beloit, are way below the standards for a MLB affiliate.
    In fact, the Independent American Association would not put a franchise in Pohlman Field.
    At this level, it's mostly about player Facility's. A large amount of the revenue, goes to the local Owner.
    Last edited by Highabove; 08-07-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Nothing in the Midwest League will be proximate to Fort Myers or Elizabethton. Are there any openings in the South Atlantic League?

A one-hop flight may be convenient for the occasional rehab stint for a major leaguer though.
    Most major (and minor) leaguers rehab at Fort Myers (either with the Miracle or the GCL Twins) for good reason.

Frankly, that is what I heard earlier this season, that the Twins were looking at the SAL for A, the SL for AA and the South IL for AAA so they build a nucleus close to their Minor League Headquarters (that would be Fort Myers for the next 30 years) but the AA part did not happen. Interesting to see what happens next, but chances are that the Twins will have 2 new affiliates next season. (And nobody can officially say anything before 9/1 or close to that)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

What cities are available in the South Atlantic league?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Cedar Rapids stadium is 11 years old. I believe Kernels players also have access to the Perfect Game workout facilities across the street

CR is served by Delta, United/Continental, American, Allegiant, and Frontier airlines with direct flights to Chicago, Mpls, Detroit, Dallas, Denver, St Petersburg, Orlando, Vegas, Mesa, Houston and probably others I cant remember. In other words, with one layover, we're in easy reach of anywhere in the US.

The Angels have not told CR they won't be renewing here. In fact, it's the opposite. The Angels have recently made a pitch for a renewal, but the CR BOD has not made a final decision. There's some support for remaining with the Angels (the relationship is 20 years old) and some support for looking at other options.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what I have heard, the Twins are interested in re-upping with Rochester.

Gut feeling, but I think the Twins prefer CR to Beloit, but may end up back in Beloit. And there is no shuffle for the Twins at all.

I didn't think Rochester was interested in re-upping with the Twins?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    I didn't think Rochester was interested in re-upping with the Twins?
    I think it had more to do with frustrations about the team being bad. They're competing now, so I would expect a renewal.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I think it had more to do with frustrations about the team being bad. They're competing now, so I would expect a renewal.
    That was what I saw in a news article on a Rochester website earlier this year - that both Rochester and the Twins liked the business aspect of the relationship, but Rochester was concerned about the quality on the field, because of the effect it has on attendance (minor league owners are in it for money too).

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I think the prospect of a top 5 of the order of Hicks, Herrmann, Arcia, Parmelee, and Benson next year also helps the case for Rochester staying with the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The whole affiliation thing kind of fascinates me the more I look in to it. I put up a post at Knuckleballs on the Rochester/Beloit situations and affiliation rules in general this morning. As usual, with me, it turned in to something pretty lengthy.

The Blue Jays want to move out of Vegas and in to a location closer to Toronto. That could be Rochester or it could be Buffalo. If it's Buffalo, the Mets would be looking for a new home and Rochester may like the idea of a MLB affiliate with some local fanbase. Then again, the Mets don't have a great reputation as an organization to do business with, so with the Red Wings suddenly a little more competitive, the Twins may have a chance at renewing. If they lose Rochester, though, the pickings are pretty slim for other options.

By my count, there are still 10 Midwest League teams, in addition to Beloit, who haven't signed renewal agreements with their existing affiliated MLB parents. That being the case, there's no reason the Twins shouldn't explore their options in September.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~