Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Lopez DFA'd by the Indians

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jose Lopez DFA'd by the Indians

The Twins absolutely NEED to claim him! He's a 28 year old 2B/SS/3B that plays acceptable defense and boasts a career .689 OPS. That's not great, but is really good by Twins standards for middle infielders. He's down a little this year, but does have a .249 BA and a .639 OPS. He's only signed for 800,000 this year which is cheap. Two questions. Would they have likely have to work out a trade because it looks like he's somewhat good? What should the Twins do?

Blog Entries
    Source from a Cleveland beat writer. https://twitter.com/hoynsie/status/232916537332346882

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why do we need to claim him?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    He's a cheap upgrade in my mind. His last few seasons have been rough, but I think it's a good idea. Please excuse my exaggeration and excitement.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Are you aware of the fact that Tsuyoshi Nishioka played second base for the Minnesota Twins last night?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    THAT Jose Lopez? The one who had a couple stellar years with the Mariners, including hitting a bunch of HRs, before they started testing and then he has been trying to hit what Butera is hitting with 3-4 organizations and failed miserably?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Are you aware of the fact that Tsuyoshi Nishioka played second base for the Minnesota Twins last night?

Exactly. He's better than Casilla, Niskioka, and Dozier (right now).

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is a bit right?

Blog Entries
    It's half a season. Why not? How about instead of mocking the idea and acting as if you're some sort of genius, you explain why you disagree? He could be a utility infielder if anything and would start while Plouffe sits out. He hits better than Nishioka, fields better than Nishioka, has more power than Niskioka, and more importantly isn't Nishioka.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    It's half a season. Why not? How about instead of mocking the idea and acting as if you're some sort of genius, you explain why you disagree? He could be a utility infielder if anything and would start while Plouffe sits out. He hits better than Nishioka, fields better than Nishioka, has more power than Niskioka, and more importantly isn't Nishioka.
    So the reason to sign him is cause he's not Nishi...you make a powerful case my man.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    There is zero reason to bring a turd like Lopez into the organization. Perhaps if he had another year of team control left (see: Burton) he would be worth taking a flier on. But nothing worthwhile can really come from picking him up since he is an impending FA anyways, and really isn't that good.

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    So the reason to sign him is cause he's not Nishi...you make a powerful case my man.
    Bring back Toby!

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    There's lots of guys out there who aren't Nishioka.

But seriously, the Twins shouldn't be in the market for anybody who won't be around for the next contending Twins team.

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    This is definitely a troll to start talking about how bad Nishioka was last night, right?

The Twins already have enough middle infield guys that can't hit. I don't think we need more.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Not only do your consistently negative posts show what's wrong with this site, taking only that post shows how short-sighted you are. Did I not say he was young at 28, versatile in playing 3 positions, good defensively, has some power (OPS is typically around .700), and hits better in comparison to nearly all middle infielders of Twins past? Feel free to shoot some more smart ass comments my way. You never seem to hesistate.

(OPS is typically around .700),
    2010: .609
    2011: :617
    2012: .639

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    THAT Jose Lopez? The one who had a couple stellar years with the Mariners, including hitting a bunch of HRs, before they started testing and then he has been trying to hit what Butera is hitting with 3-4 organizations and failed miserably?
    They didn't test before 2009? (serious question)That seems a little far fetched.

Lopez WAR:
    2010: 0.4
    2011: -0.2
    2012: -0.5

He has been bad at 3rd the past two years defensively and is average at best at 2nd base. He also hasn't played SS since 2004 (not sure if you said he could play SS, but if you didn't I apolgize)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    2010: .609
    2011: :617
    2012: .639
    Career .689
    With 3/5 seasons (qualified) passing the mark. 2010 was ugly, but in 2011 and 2012 he has struggled to get PAs. I like the power he could bring and it's low risk.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    This is definitely a troll to start talking about how bad Nishioka was last night, right?

The Twins already have enough middle infield guys that can't hit. I don't think we need more.
    Last night? LAST F'!ING NIGHT? Unbelievable...

And yes, the Twins are fairly stocked up on no-hit infielders. The difference between most of those guys and Nish is that he's no-field as well. Anybody who thinks that assessment is based on just "last night" hasn't watched a lick of Nish's 2011 fielding 'highlights'...
    Last edited by LaBombo; 08-07-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast