Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jose Lopez DFA'd by the Indians

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    They didn't test before 2009? (serious question)That seems a little far fetched.
    Exaggeration. First season they were testing for Steroids was 2005. Penalties got stiffer in 2006. But HGH testing is a different story and what they were testing for (and how) the earlier years of the policy was different.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Career .689
    With 3/5 seasons (qualified) passing the mark. 2010 was ugly, but in 2011 and 2012 he has struggled to get PAs. I like the power he could bring and it's low risk.
    I don't care what his career mark is, he has been crappy the past 3 seasons and his fielding has been average at best (very genrous) You could use a similar argument on why the Twins should sign Manny Ramierez.

Again if he had another year or so of team control he might (personally I don't think so) be worth taking a flyer on, but as an impending free agent there is zero reason for the Twins to have any interest.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Lopez WAR:
    2010: 0.4
    2011: -0.2
    2012: -0.5

He has been bad at 3rd the past two years defensively and is average at best at 2nd base. He also hasn't played SS since 2004 (not sure if you said he could play SS, but if you didn't I apolgize)
    I did say he could, but I view him getting time at 2B since he's started there 651/982 games. Career at 7.9WAR over 9 seasons isn't exciting. I bring up career because I don't think it's crazy to think he could perform like he did from 2004-2009.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Again if he had another year or so of team control he might (personally I don't think so) be worth taking a flyer on, but as an impending free agent there is zero reason for the Twins to have any interest.
    That's the biggest concern, but I guess I see it as a showcase to why we would offer him a contract next year. Better to see a little than nothing if he is an option. I don't know. Maybe the whole thing is a little silly. I still think it's worth a shot.

below .300obp hitter no thank you.. would rather give the Dinkelman a shot

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhawaii View Post
    below .300obp hitter no thank you.. would rather give the Dinkelman a shot
    b.jpg

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Must you guys always be so negative? Career. 689 OPS!!1!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, no, no. No reason whatsoever to add a player who has been terrible the past three seasons and who would take playing time away from Dozier, Nishioka (and hopefully Florimon).

Saw enough of him last year playing for the Rockies. Not an upgrade.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not a terrible idea. If he was still under contract next year, I would say go for it. Like you said, he's still young, he used to show some right-handed pop which plays at Target Field and most importantly, the Twins are just a mess at second base. (Unless they want Jamey Carroll's option to vest for a 3-year deal.) Maybe Vavra works some magic - who knows?

But he's a free agent at the end of the year. A couple of hundred at-bats isn't much of an investment, and the Twins don't have anyone better to invest them in, but they should invest them in someone who will be around next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lopez hasn't played SS since 2004. If you can't play SS, you either need to hit well enough to start at 2B/3B or you don't have a job (see Luke Hughes). After over 4000 plate appearances, Lopez has an OPS+ of 84. Assuming he can regain that level of offense with adequate defense, is that what we want from our starting 2B next year?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem with quoting career stats is that they often miss context. Justin's career numbers are really nothing special, yet Justin in his prime was a special player. That's due to a nasty sophomore slump and a year or two worth of playing through various injuries. You cannot look at a guy like Lopez and state "he has a decent career OPS" when his last 3 seasons have been nothing close to his career average... He's on the downside of his career at this point, and taking on a flier like that makes absolutely no sense for a rebuilding team.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No thanks....just play Casilla everyday....Nishi has about a week left before he's back at AAA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12