Thread: Revere, Mauer, and the Batting Title

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Revere, Mauer, and the Batting Title

Currently the necessary number for qualification is 338 (337.9(109X3.1)) Plate Appearances needed. Ben Revere is now under the requisite by 7PAs at 331. Look for him to join the Top 5 'officially' soon. He would be #2 with the batting average he has now. Last night's game also saw BR11 extend his hit streak to 20 games. Mauer has fell off to .321 after a slump of sorts, but is very much in contention for his 4th title. Trout is still above and beyond #1. We have a few great players to support down the stretch and there's still plenty of season left!
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 08-07-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to have this to follow the rest of the season. For a team that is out of the running, a batting race is a nice distraction. (Take it from somebody who grew up in the 70s.)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 301 Times in 161 Posts
    Yup, when Sir Rodney and Tony O. were the best show in town.

I don't really expect Trout to fall, but these two can chase the silver and bronze.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 799 Times in 432 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The batting title really means nothing but I'm still cheering both of them on (particularly Mauer, another batting title gets him closer to the HoF short list).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revere and Mauer will be 1,2 in highest human batting averages in the AL. Mike Trout is simply a robot. No one can possibly be that good at that many things so young.

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    It would be great to see Mauer get another batting title. I don't see how that happens without Trout going through a severe slump or going on the DL and not getting enough PA's to qualify. As much as I want Mauer to win (and Revere to get second), I don't want to wish an injury on Trout. So, I guess major slump it is.

Thinking back to April, Trout, Mauer and Revere were not the names I was thinking I would here in the batting champ conversation. Just proves that a lot of things can happen over one season.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is definitely Trout's to lose. At his rate of PA's, he will qualify in 22 games. Once he qualifies, he will need to play a lot and hit (relatively) poorly to come down much. If he plays all remaining games and hits .300 the rest of the way, he will end up at .330.

For Mauer to beat .330, he will have to hit .355 the rest of the way (assuming he plays 48 of remaining 53 games with current AB/G rate). Obviously he is very capable of that and more. For Revere to top .330, he would have to maintain what he is doing.

If the likelihood of Trout hitting .300 or less the rest of the way is 25% (pulled out of my butt) and the likelihood of Mauer hitting .355 or Revere hitting .331 is also 25% (pulled from same place), then Mauer or Revere have about a 6.3% chance of overtaking Trout.

Stranger things have happened though. We know Mauer could hit .400 the rest of the way and (we suspect) Trout could hit .250. If that happens, Mauer hits .346 for the season and Trout ends up at .312.