Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Morneau no longer thrown for a curve

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Morneau no longer thrown for a curve

Parker, what if the Twins decide they like Morneau's bat for another year? Would it be out of the question to put Parmalee in the outfield? Would it make more sense to trade Denard Span, move Revere to center with Parmalee in right?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Blog Entries
    Parker, what if the Twins decide they like Morneau's bat for another year? Would it be out of the question to put Parmalee in the outfield? Would it make more sense to trade Denard Span, move Revere to center with Parmalee in right?
    In theory, that's not a bad decision. After all, Parmelee could not be any worse than Willingham or Doumit in the outfield. What I wonder is, why the Twins have not started to prep for this scenario by having Parmelee get some reps in RF/LF in Rochester. So far, he has not had a single inning in the outfield. If that was indeed the organization's long-term plan for him, they would likely have started to condition him there.

However, I would prefer to have both Span & Revere in the outfield - particularly with a high contact pitching staff.

Again, with Willingham, Doumit, Morneau and Mauer, there is a shortage of DH/1B/Corner OF positions available so in order to get Parmelee in the mix, someone has to go. It could be Span or Morneau -- but it also could be Parmelee who gets packaged and shipped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    In theory, that's not a bad decision. After all, Parmelee could not be any worse than Willingham or Doumit in the outfield. What I wonder is, why the Twins have not started to prep for this scenario by having Parmelee get some reps in RF/LF in Rochester. So far, he has not had a single inning in the outfield. If that was indeed the organization's long-term plan for him, they would likely have started to condition him there.

However, I would prefer to have both Span & Revere in the outfield - particularly with a high contact pitching staff.

Again, with Willingham, Doumit, Morneau and Mauer, there is a shortage of DH/1B/Corner OF positions available so in order to get Parmelee in the mix, someone has to go. It could be Span or Morneau -- but it also could be Parmelee who gets packaged and shipped off.
    Parker, then there is the joker in the deck, Darin Mastroianni. Does Mastroianni project as a starter or a fourth outfielder/late inning defensive replacement?

On another note, the Twins recent run doesn't seem to be like the usual end of the season "show them we're ready for next year" type of thing. It's almost like the team is on the verge of turning the corner. It seems very different than the tailspin of last year.

Parker, I forgot to mention, thanks for the reply.

The Twins all of a sudden seem to have some extra pieces, something I wouldn't have said earlier in the year.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    He's hitting the curve better, for sure, but the curve on the second homer was horribly hung, up and in the middle of the zone. THe curves that have been very tough for Morneau were the low and away curves that actually bite. Not taking anything away from Morneau's performance, but at least that second curve was not really a curve at all.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Blog Entries
    He's hitting the curve better, for sure, but the curve on the second homer was horribly hung, up and in the middle of the zone.
    Without question.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but he had been missing that same pitch before he made the adjustments we have been talking about.

Sorry, I just don't get it. It seems as if the better Morneau performs, the hotter he is, the more eager most are to dump him. Mauer, Willingham, Morneau...don't get it.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveha View Post
    Sorry, I just don't get it. It seems as if the better Morneau performs, the hotter he is, the more eager most are to dump him. Mauer, Willingham, Morneau...don't get it.
    A rebuilding team needs to do a lot better in the rebuilding process than its competitors to make an orderly return to competitive success- a key element of which is getting other teams to buy high, get quality in return at positions of need with commensurate salary relief to purchase that which you can't trade for- and not do what the Twins have been doing almost exclusively in recent years with the players they trade, selling at rock bottom.
    Last edited by jokin; 08-07-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I realize that baseball is a business, but sometimes I wonder what effect a trade might have on team morale.

Also, having both Morneau and Willingham in the lineup could mean a lot of home runs next year, if Morneau can continue to regain his former performance level.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveha View Post
    I agree with you daveha---Mauer, Willingham and Morneau should be the heart of this club for the next few years. At least until the Sano group is ready. Hopefully some quality free agent pitchers are signed for next season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    He's hitting the curve better, for sure, but the curve on the second homer was horribly hung, up and in the middle of the zone. THe curves that have been very tough for Morneau were the low and away curves that actually bite. Not taking anything away from Morneau's performance, but at least that second curve was not really a curve at all.
    Lefty curves were beating Morneau because his torso line was falling away from the plate on swing. When Morneau's swing pivots around his neck (like Willingham's swing does), then the ball jumps off his bat just like it does off Willingham's bat.

You can actually predict how well Morneau will do in a ball game. On his first at-bat, hold a pencil straight up, hiding his neck. If his neck moves to the left of the pencil more than a foot (in real space) when he swings, he's falling off and he'll either strike out or ground out the whole game. If his neck moves left six inches, he'll get one or two hits. If his neck stays right behind the pencil, he's locked in and going to absolutely crush the ball. In fact, if I'm the opposing manager and I see him staying over the ball, I'd intentionally walk Morneau all game, even with the bases loaded. When his neck ain't moving, Morneau is the most dangerous hitter in baseball.