Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Byron Buxton, Jose Berrios Promoted to Elizabethton

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Buxton, Berrios Promoted to Elizabethton

Are there any corresponding moves for ELIZ???? 4 SOLID OFs there now.
    Not surprised as both are gonna start in BEL next yr/desereve it w/play, but this is the Twins organization....so that is a BIG surprise.
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 08-06-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    No other moves at this time.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    This is awesome.

Shibuya?

Cool, I've been meaning to make a trip to the Midwest to visit family--perhaps I should plan a trip to Beloit. [Ack, I see I misread the team they're being sent to...]

Seth, did you hear any updates on Tim Shibuya on your trip (or otherwise)? I think that was him in a Snappers twitter pic as Sanó's interpreter during a radio interview recently, but I haven't heard anything in almost a month.
    Last edited by Mike in SD; 08-06-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: noted my reading comprehension issues

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great for them and a smart for the Twins to promote when they ought to do so.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in SD View Post
    Seth, did you hear any updates on Tim Shibuya on your trip (or otherwise)? I think that was him in a Snappers twitter pic as Sanó's interpreter during a radio interview recently, but I haven't heard anything in almost a month.
    He is rehabbing in Ft. Myers after an MRI in Minnesota. And, that probably was him. He has been used as an interpreter several times.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This seems like good news. It would be great if Buxton could advance rapidly.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For an organization that has been criticized on occasion for moving prospects along too slowly, this is a bold and welcome statement.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, shoot, good for them but it means I won't get to see them. They were the only reason I was thinking of going to the GCL game tomorrow.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    COunt me as excited if they are going to promote faster.

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    Well that is unexpected, but welcome news. It's good to see the Twins promote some players a little quicker than usual.

In the case of Berrios, the numbers don't lie and it really sounds like he deserved this. Not sure if you all remember when we drafted him, but he is a hell of an athlete, and I have very high hopes for him.

Buxton's numbers don't necessarily show it, but this is another good move. He came off the hamstring injury great, and I think it is smart to keep giving him challenges. Very exciting and cool news for the farm system!!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Buxton was the 2nd pick, not the 22nd pick, and his promotion (and Berrios"s) is likely based on readiness, not some big philosophical change of thinking about promotions. So, great news!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, I didn't see that coming. What a difference from years past. Buxton wouldn't even have played in previous years and now, he is not only playing but has been promoted to Elizabethton.

It will be fun to see how they do at this next level up. I check the box scores but had apparently not clicked through to Berrios' overall numbers so I did not realize how amazing he has been: 16 2/3 inn, 7 hits, 2ER, 3BB, 27K.

Buxton's numbers after his 1-27 start are very good: .295/.377/.656. He is striking out a lot which is a concern but in any case I am glad the Twins are challenging him these last few weeks of the season to see what he can do.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Berrios was clearly ready based on his numbers... Buxton kind of surprised me, though if you subtract the slow start, eh hasn't been bad.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. Add this to the list of unusual for the Twins minor league moves this season. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that I would not be surprised if Jim Rantz officially announces his retirement in September/October. These look to me like someone else's moves...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Is this really that odd? Benson and Parmelee both saw time at Beloit in 2006. And Revere and Hicks both skipped E-Town so their lone assignment in the first season after being drafted was in Beloit. The group of high school pitchers is comparatively smaller, but Rainville and Swarzak actually logged substantial innings at Ft. Myers in the first year after their draft. Waldrop and Robertson both logged a lot of innings at Beloit in the year after their draft.

It seems like the team has some varied approaches to the same end with 1/2 round positional HS talents: Get them in full season ball by the year after their draft. Both Buxton and Berrios are being positioned for that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I swear I read somewhere that Berrios might be one of the fastest to the majors high schoolers picked in the last draft but now I can't find that link. It was based on him being physically mature and having played in a lot more competition baseball in PR than a normal HS kid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast