Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical

Liked 3,028 Times in 1,291 Posts

Hypothetical

Every year, teams put all or most of their roster through waivers early in August, just to see who gets through and could therefore possibly be traded.

Let's say Philly puts Cliff Lee on waivers (pretty good chance that happens, BTW).

There is at least some speculation around the internet that Philly would like to get out from under his contract. They are at roughly $170m this year, have a ton of money committed for the next few years, and just signed Cole Hamels to a contract equal to the GNP of several Central American nations.

Cliff Lee is owed $25m in each of 2013, 14, and 15, with a $27.5m option ($12.5m buyout) for 2016 that vests with certain IP marks in 2014/15.

Lee spent a couple weeks on the DL in Apr/May this year, but otherwise has been a durable, 200+ IP horse for every year but one since 2005. Even with his DL stint this year, he has 125 IP, which would easily lead the Twins staff. He has pitched to an ERA under 4 every year since 2008, a WHIP under 1.25 every year since 08, and a K/BB ratio above 4 every year since 08 (including a ridiculous 10+ in 2010.)

Lee will turn 34 this month. He is still the very definition of a top-of-the-rotation starter. The Twins desparately need starting pitching for 2013 and beyond if they are to return to relevance.

So...

1. If you are the Twins, do you put in a waiver claim? (Thereby risking owing Cliff Lee somewhere between $95-109M between now and 2016, but possibly getting a #1 starter for nothing but money)

2. Are there other teams out there that will put in a waiver claim?

3. If you are the Phillies, do you let Lee go to any claiming team just to get rid of the contract?

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    all he needs is some steriods and he's good for at least 2 more years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    For 2013 there would be five things the Twins would need to believe in. Diamond would have to be number two starter. Gibson would have to be ready at the start of the year to be a number three starter. The other two choices for starters would have to be serviceable. Morneau can return to near old self for production. Span, Willingham, and Revere are not having career years and will regress in 2013. If you believe in those 5 things and that Cliff Lee will return to form, you should get him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Although sound logic, and as you say, he'd be available for only money...something just doesn't sit right with me re: Cliff Lee. I just get the sneaky suspicion his return to the AL wouldn't be all that great.

On the flip side, with most of the Twins position players in their prime years...it might be time to take the gamble and do it.
    Alright, I've talked myself into it.....go get him!

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    For 2013 there would be five things the Twins would need to believe in. Diamond would have to be number two starter. Gibson would have to be ready at the start of the year to be a number three starter. The other two choices for starters would have to be serviceable. Morneau can return to near old self for production. Span, Willingham, and Revere are not having career years and will regress in 2013. If you believe in those 5 things and that Cliff Lee will return to form, you should get him.
    The thing is though, Lee wouldn't be around just for 2013. He'd still be around when the current crop of minor leaguers start to contribute in 2014, 2015, and possibly 2016.

He also doesn't really have to "return to form." He's pitching quite well in 2013, even though his ERA is in the high 3's.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The Twins no. A playoff team for the final push yes. Phillies would want something in return.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 619 Times in 344 Posts
    Depending upon what you have to give up - I think I would. Hell, if they are just trying to get out of his contract this would be a "buy low" move.

Hard not to endorse that.

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    His salary would eat up pretty much all available payroll space for 2013 (assuming that the Twins stick to their stated budget). I think we need more than just one good pitcher to probably be competitive. The Phillies are probably looking for something in return as well. I think they raided their farm system to get guys like Lee, so I would imagine that they would want to restock some.

The dollars per age kind of spooks me too. I know it's Cliff Lee and he's a great pitcher. No question there. But I think he's at that age where he definitely may be on the decline side of things. Now what level does Cliff Lee decline to? That's a different question all together.

I say it's a no go for the Twins. (I might change my mind if he could be had for the just the contract though).
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Tough call. That's a lot of money for 1 player. I don't know if I know the answer. If he was three years younger, I'd probably say yes, even with the money. If they have to trade for him, then I'd happily give up a legit prospect if Philly would pay part of the salary. If the salary could drop to $20MM per year (meaning Philly has to kick in a lot of money, but they still save $20MM per year....), I'd seriously consider it. No one above the Twins in claim order is putting in a claim....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 122 Posts
    If I were the Twins and I could get Lee for just his contract, I'd do it. But I'm also a firm believer that the Twins payroll could be substantially higher than what they have stated. If it stays in the 95-100 range, then obviously, it'll never happen.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 183 Posts
    The Phillies won't let him go for just the money. But if I were the Twins I would put a claim on him just to block their rivals.

If the Phillies for some reason let him goto the Twins for nothing then the Twins should consider themselves the luckiest franchise ever. Lee would bolster any rotation and if you fell out of it early next year you could always trade him for a good haul.

None of this will happen though as the Phillies will at least need 1 blue chip prospect in return.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So the Phillies expect a team to take on the whole contract and give up a top prospects...suck it Ruben.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    The thing is though, Lee wouldn't be around just for 2013. He'd still be around when the current crop of minor leaguers start to contribute in 2014, 2015, and possibly 2016.

He also doesn't really have to "return to form." He's pitching quite well in 2013, even though his ERA is in the high 3's.
    The outfielders mentioned are under Twins control for two more years. By then Arcia would be ready to play.True you might have Morneau for only one more year. The reason you would claim and keep a Lee is the belief you can make a run in the playoffs. Memory is that Lee steps up in the playoffs. It has been a while since the Twins had someone like that. Going deep and maybe even winning it all would solve the added expense of Lee

Actually, the reason I'd claim Lee is the hope for a bounce-back and him turning into an attractive trade option.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The Phillies won't let him go for just the money. But if I were the Twins I would put a claim on him just to block their rivals.

If the Phillies for some reason let him goto the Twins for nothing then the Twins should consider themselves the luckiest franchise ever. Lee would bolster any rotation and if you fell out of it early next year you could always trade him for a good haul.

None of this will happen though as the Phillies will at least need 1 blue chip prospect in return.
    if the phillys took hermsen and hernandez , i'd trade for him , but i would talk to the dodgers 1st.see if they want lee for wheeler?the twins would pay about 7 million of lee's contract this year then trade him this winter...if we were to draft wheeler in 2013 we would end up paying a 7 million dollar bonus any way

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 758 Times in 472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would be willing to put the claim in on him, but also understand that in so doing, this would drain the entire free agent budget for this team, so it's a big risk. My gut says Philly wouldn't give him away, but if they are serious about rebuilding, then they just might if the teams cannot work out a trade. The problem with that scenario from the Twin's standpoint is that they need at least 2, if not 3 pitchers... not 1 really expensive one. They might be able to get a prove it contract signed for a Rich Harden type pitcher, but you cannot rely on this, so unless Terry Ryan has an excellent DSpan trade lined up, getting Lee will help, but wouldn't be the missing piece.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    If I were the Twins and I could get Lee for just his contract, I'd do it. But I'm also a firm believer that the Twins payroll could be substantially higher than what they have stated. If it stays in the 95-100 range, then obviously, it'll never happen.
    I agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Rich Harden
    We should probably find a new example for this. He's failed to be the "cheap ace"...three different times now I think?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    if the phillys took hermsen and hernandez , i'd trade for him , but i would talk to the dodgers 1st.see if they want lee for wheeler?the twins would pay about 7 million of lee's contract this year then trade him this winter...if we were to draft wheeler in 2013 we would end up paying a 7 million dollar bonus any way
    Say what?!

Wheeler? Dodgers? Huh?
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    We should probably find a new example for this. He's failed to be the "cheap ace"...three different times now I think?
    How about Ben Sheets?
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast