Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Morneau is steadily improving

Morneau Starting To Figure Out Lefties Again

Thru June 17th He was hitting a dismal .091 agains't them and since then he is .324 (11 for 34) and has had a 17 game hitting streak and is hitting close to .320 in his last 25 games overall. I know it's a small sample size, but maybe his concussion isn't affecting him to the same degree it did earlier in the season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just saying, who says it was the concussion that was affecting his hitting against lefties? And I haven't seen anything about Morneau having problems with his concussion symptoms.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The .091 was also a small sample size. The .324 is VERY good news and shouldn't be dismissed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even better, since the All-Star Break, Morneau is hitting .339 with both of his HR's against lefties

I haven't checked but it would also be interesting to see how his BB/K ratio has changed during the season. I see over the past 10 games it's way better which leads one to believe his eye at the plate and pitch recognition is improving.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Morneau is steadily improving

Great analysis of this now. Thanks Parker. http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?87...dily-improving

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Players get hurt... players get healthy... Players have up years and players have down years... They have up months in down years and down months in up years.

Morneau had been a Great hitter pre concussion. To suggest that he was done always seemed pre-mature to me. I'm not saying he's back but I would never say he is done.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Thanks for this article. It seems that maybe/hopefully Morneau is finally able to focus on playing baseball and improving at the plate rather than worrying about his injuries. Here's to hoping that he can finish this year strong and get ready for an even stronger campaign in 2013.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Just saying, who says it was the concussion that was affecting his hitting against lefties? And I haven't seen anything about Morneau having problems with his concussion symptoms.
    I think it was the time away from the game (almost 2 years?) along with the lost weight that was effecting his hitting.

He still doesn't look like old Justin but he is getting closer, hopefully 2013 can be a break out year for him.

One question I have, do you think about offering him a contract extension this off-season?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 615 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Even better, since the All-Star Break, Morneau is hitting .339 with both of his HR's against lefties
    Tomlin isn't a lefty.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, that's why the front office shouldn't have traded him for crap. It is obvious he's improving, and if he continues to do something he should fetch a nice price this offseason. The question becomes what his ceiling will be going forward. Even if he doesn't, I'd bet he is a prime chip to trade next July.

Lot of love from the Boogers I mean bloggers for Morneau. Lot of love. Lot of critique of Mauer and his 23 mil. Morneau and his 14 mil? He has a brain injury (ahem mild concussion)! His UZR -2.0 this year at 1B - Pathetic. WAR .6 - Pathetic. 260 ave 322 OBP. Chris Parmelee could do all of that for 13.5 million less. Brian Dozier of all people is worth more to the Twins. BUT, Morneau will play well next year. Do you know why? It's a contract year. His 4 year vacation is over and he will want some new bank roll.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    One question I have, do you think about offering him a contract extension this off-season?
    33 year old 1B with an extensive injury history, no thanks.

Plus I want to see what Parm can do in extended period (and Parm is no outfielder)

Quote Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
    Thru June 17th He was hitting a dismal .091 agains't them and since then he is .324 (11 for 34) and has had a 17 game hitting streak and is hitting close to .320 in his last 25 games overall. I know it's a small sample size, but maybe his concussion isn't affecting him to the same degree it did earlier in the season.
    His concussion was not the problem at all this season. The team would not have even put him on the field if he had any fraction of a symptom still... His problem earlier this season is that he missed almost 2 full years of baseball, was not in shape, and his swing was completely out of whack. He was swinging off his heels trying to pull the ball and just flat out guessing against lefties.

Look at his swing now. He is planting his feet, timing his front step and striding towards the pitcher when he swings instead of pulling off. Small sample size? Yes. Noticeable adjustments to his swing that have shown immediate success? YES!

They also mentioned on the broadcast last night that Gardy recently said he had absolutely no concern whatsoever with Morny's health, and that he is feeling great. That is very good to hear, maybe the new baby gave him some extra confidence to have fun and enjoy playing the best game in the world!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,523 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Are you screwing with us, Dave?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanS7921 View Post
    Lot of love from the Boogers I mean bloggers for Morneau. Lot of love. Lot of critique of Mauer and his 23 mil. Morneau and his 14 mil? He has a brain injury (ahem mild concussion)! His UZR -2.0 this year at 1B - Pathetic. WAR .6 - Pathetic. 260 ave 322 OBP. Chris Parmelee could do all of that for 13.5 million less. Brian Dozier of all people is worth more to the Twins. BUT, Morneau will play well next year. Do you know why? It's a contract year. His 4 year vacation is over and he will want some new bank roll.
    4 year vacation? Really?

thanks for your insight into the discussion.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,523 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanS7921 View Post
    Yeah, totally agree. Morneau risked a life-altering injury so he could take some PTO.

Sigh.

And "boogers"? Really?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 120 Posts
    The best thing that can happen for the Twins is that the Dodgers and Reds both fail embarrassingly in the playoffs and highlight their needs for Morneau and Span. Not saying we would trade either in the offseason but those would be two teams that might really regret not making moves for them this week.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Are you screwing with us, Dave?
    No, I like Morneau and wouldn't mind keeping him around as a 1b/DH type after next year if the price is right. Parmelee is intriguing, but I'm not completely sold that he can hit enough to be a good first baseman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast