Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Morneau is steadily improving

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loosey View Post
    I may be in the minority here but why is everyone in such a rush to dump Morneau? I think he is still has a a few pretty good seasons left in tank. Personally I think he hitting issues have been mental and it appears that things are starting to "make sense" again to him. If he does get back to the 3/4 of the old Morneau don't trade him. Use him to build your team. It's only been two seasons of losing baseball and I'm already sick of it. Anytime someone starts to play well we assume it will fix everything if the Twins trade them for a prospect. I would rather hold on to who we have if they are playing well. The Twins offense in my opinion is good enough to be a contender, and with an improving Morneau will get better. Now in the offseason if the FO can make 2-3 solid moves to improve the pitching staff I honestly think the team can start to compete in the Central. Plus, After next year, Morneau will not be getting a raise from his $14M salary when he hits free agency. He hasn't been the MVP player he was from 06-09, and he is one bumped head away from ending his career. Keep him and build the pitching staff back to respectable.
    That's all nice and good, but he'll be a 33 year old first basemen with an injury history of head, neck, back and wrist problems.

Take away out personal feelings and lets look at Morneau for what he is.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    That's all nice and good, but he'll be a 33 year old first basemen with an injury history of head, neck, back and wrist problems.

Take away out personal feelings and lets look at Morneau for what he is.
    A huge future liability - no doubt. Here's the problem DPJ, it was hard to completely rule out his comeback until he at least had some regular ABs for awhile. Maybe this hotstreak ends and it was just a flash in the pan - but doesn't he look a lot like the old Morneau lately? Hard not to see it - using the whole field, driving the ball, hitting righties and lefties. Some of this simply could be rebuilding his approach after two years off.

The problem is, you're right that expecting this continue much into the future is a huge problem. Handing him away at his lowest value would've been a mistake we've made far too often lately. The real issue is going to be if he regains anything close to his MVP value - then do you sell high or keep around a cornerstone that is a huge liability? I know what you'd argue (not sure I'd disagree either FWIW) but now isn't the time to be selling this guy.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The problem is, you're right that expecting this continue much into the future is a huge problem. Handing him away at his lowest value would've been a mistake we've made far too often lately. The real issue is going to be if he regains anything close to his MVP value - then do you sell high or keep around a cornerstone that is a huge liability? I know what you'd argue (not sure I'd disagree either FWIW) but now isn't the time to be selling this guy.
    I was talking about people who are already talking about extending him beyond 2013.

Throw all the wrist, head, neck, AIDs, back and whatever else has gone wrong with him out the door, he's a 33 year old lumbering 1B.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I was talking about people who are already talking about extending him beyond 2013..
    I generally thought no one took Dave seriously?

First 6 games in August .458 ave .481 obp .833 slugging 1.314 OPS . If he finishes this year hitting above .285 and slugging over .500 I'd say he is officially back.
    Last edited by robbie111; 08-06-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Let him play out his contract year and see what happens. If you continues to improve throw a 2 year deal at him on the cheap and see if he turns it down. I don't think he does, nor do I think there's a better 1B option in the next 3 years for the Twins.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Let him play out his contract year and see what happens. If you continues to improve throw a 2 year deal at him on the cheap and see if he turns it down. I don't think he does, nor do I think there's a better 1B option in the next 3 years for the Twins.
    Dpes that mean that the Twins move Parmelee...., or Span? Someone will have to go.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Hammer moves to DH and Doumit is your backup C/bench PH bat with Mauer in RF when not catching. Revere in LF and Span in center. Trade Parmelee if need be. It's perfect.

Can anyone else can find a split for what Morneaus done since the all star break compared to everyone else in baseball. That would be interesting. The thing I am liking is his walk to K ratio recently. Just found his splits .361 ave .406 obp .602 slugging ave 1.008 ops. The other thing I'd like to see is his numbers come up at Target Field. On the road this season he's hitting .301 with a .571 slugging ave and a .928 ops. At home its .250 average, slugging .395 and an ops of .711
    Last edited by robbie111; 08-06-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,477 Times in 774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
    Can anyone else can find a split for what Morneaus done since the all star break compared to everyone else in baseball. That would be interesting. The thing I am liking is his walk to K ratio recently. Just found his splits .361 ave .406 obp .602 slugging ave 1.008 ops. The other thing I'd like to see is his numbers come up at Target Field. On the road this season he's hitting .301 with a .571 slugging ave and a .928 ops. At home its .250 average, slugging .395 and an ops of .711
    Morneau since break: .361/.407/.602/1.009

MLB average for past 30 days: .257/.322/.410/.732

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think bringing Morneau back on a 2 year deal would be a good idea. The Brewers need a 1b and CF, maybe we could pry Gallardo away from them who is under team control for three more years while the Brewers are in full rebuilding mode.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123