Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New upgrades to Target Field in 2013?

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I'd like it to last a long, long time; not just the 30 year (or however long) lease they have.

I agree!

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Foliage!

Quote Originally Posted by MrHockey View Post
    Heard they are considering trees to soften the black eye in center field but to the sides.
    Please add some trees back in CF, even if just on the sides.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's just add a few inches to the mound and not tell anybody. Oh wait... that benefits power pitchers and the Twins don't have any of those save Perkins.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Automatic flushers.
    Troughs.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Troughs.
    Hey, at least with the troughs we didn't have to touch the flush handle on the urinal that everybody else had touched between relieving themselves and washing their hands.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, at least with the troughs we didn't have to touch the flush handle on the urinal that everybody else had touched between relieving themselves and washing their hands.
    You actually touch those?

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    You actually touch those?
    Well, they do fill up over time if nobody flushes them. I usually use my sleeve or something but I still feel icky about it.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, they do fill up over time if nobody flushes them. I usually use my sleeve or something but I still feel icky about it.
    Bruce Lee that **** with your shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Bruce Lee that **** with your shoe.
    I can totally axe-kick those things but I don't want to show off. Also I don't want any extra germs on my shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by silverslugger View Post
    Let's just add a few inches to the mound and not tell anybody. Oh wait... that benefits power pitchers and the Twins don't have any of those save Perkins.
    Power pitchers may only be part of the solution. But what I want to see is the Twins put 2-4 rows of special seating on the field, in left, say about 30 feet inside the left-field pole, and 30 feet inside the right-field pole, and then running maybe 100 feet toward centerfield.
    These become premium seats, and would be our equivalent to the Green Monster seats in Boston.
    Tigers also brought their fences in in left field after they realized nobody could hit them out to left.
    These field level seats would create new bounces and odd caroms and make the game more interesting. It also would make the pitchers pay much closer attention to keeping the ball down.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHockey View Post
    Heard they are considering trees to soften the black eye in center field but to the sides.
    It's too bad we have a thread on ballpark improvements and I feel like a troll even bringing up the topic of CF and the batter's eye. But I'm sorry, it's one of the biggest aesthetic problems with the ballpark. It's too bad they let the opinions of a few players (some of which who are no longer with the team, or no longer great players) lead to the removal of what was one of the few signature elements of an otherwise terrific park. Aside from the particular limestone they used (and the giant Minnie and Paul sign), Target Field does sort of lack a "signature" element that differentiates it from other parks and makes it immediately recognizable. Some examples would be the Green Monster, or the waterfalls in Kansas City.

And it's too bad because I thought the trees were a great nod to the Northwoods identity of this state. Not to mention the fact that in future years, they'll lose thousands of fans who are up at their cabins instead of going to weekend baseball games in the city, so why not bring the woods to the ballpark?! (Sorry. I wasn't born "one of us", excuse the poor humor).

What we have now is an ugly BLACK wall with nothing below it, and it was a total overreaction. Other teams have trees (COL) shrubs/rocks (ANA) and large scoreboards at or near the batter's eye. But I feel like they won't touch it for years because to put anything in there now would be an acknowledgement that they screwed up.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    It's too bad we have a thread on ballpark improvements and I feel like a troll even bringing up the topic of CF and the batter's eye. But I'm sorry, it's one of the biggest aesthetic problems with the ballpark. It's too bad they let the opinions of a few players (some of which who are no longer with the team, or no longer great players) lead to the removal of what was one of the few signature elements of an otherwise terrific park. Aside from the particular limestone they used (and the giant Minnie and Paul sign), Target Field does sort of lack a "signature" element that differentiates it from other parks and makes it immediately recognizable. Some examples would be the Green Monster, or the waterfalls in Kansas City.

And it's too bad because I thought the trees were a great nod to the Northwoods identity of this state. Not to mention the fact that in future years, they'll lose thousands of fans who are up at their cabins instead of going to weekend baseball games in the city, so why not bring the woods to the ballpark?! (Sorry. I wasn't born "one of us", excuse the poor humor).

What we have now is an ugly BLACK wall with nothing below it, and it was a total overreaction. Other teams have trees (COL) shrubs/rocks (ANA) and large scoreboards at or near the batter's eye. But I feel like they won't touch it for years because to put anything in there now would be an acknowledgement that they screwed up.
    Totally agree. You're not being a troll. It really isn't much of a stretch to state that a beautiful new ballpark, lovingly designed with thought and care and making a strong statement about the region for which it was created, has been desecrated, much like an original work of art being altered.

Maybe it's me, but I hadn't seen Fenway in a while so I don't know when the change was made, but that ugly tarp over those "signature" narrowly angulared centerfield seats was bothersome, too. Especially after they were able to put seats on top of the Green Monster and make it look architecturally consistent with the rest of the park.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Very much agree.

(Also that big ugly paint-streaked black wall was RAISED about 10 feet and obstructs center field viewing some).

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts

Not a troll statement at all.

I think the problem was with the reflection from the shiny green paint on the batter's eye in 2010. It supposedly had some pretty nasty reflections in the afternoons, which is where most of the complaints were from. Now that it is painted flat black, and there would be some better contrast between the wall and the trees, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

I miss the trees.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Maybe the Wilfs will put a retractable dome on it. No, but seriously. I guess the seats are going to be better because it will cost more to sit in them.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Not a troll statement at all.

I think the problem was with the reflection from the shiny green paint on the batter's eye in 2010. It supposedly had some pretty nasty reflections in the afternoons, which is where most of the complaints were from. Now that it is painted flat black, and there would be some better contrast between the wall and the trees, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

I miss the trees.

The main instigator was Michael Cuddyer who claimed the shadows from the trees made playing in the outfield 'dangerous'.

Liked 1,199 Times in 697 Posts
    I keep hoping that MLB will make them fix the "black hole" as a condition of awarding the AS game to the Twins. (Yeah, I know, not likely with Bud).

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Maybe a giant "Circle me Bert" sign would work there.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There are MANY things that make Target Field unique and beautiful. I love the bat shaped lit topiaries with the hops growing up them out on the plaza, the wind sculpture covering the parking ramp, the plaza leading into gate 34, the limestone, wide concourses, BIG jumbotron, skyline views, easy light rail access, the roof deck, the cool swoop of the upper deck awning with the recessed lights, Minnie and Paul shaking hands, the respect for the past throughout the stadium in photos and artwork, the OLD Metropolitan stadium flag pole....BUT, the TREES were so SPECIAL!! The current batter's eye is an EYESORE. They need to put something else out there. How about some trees?!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinzgrl View Post
    easy light rail access

I wish that I could take advantage of the Lighrail, by the time it gets to me its absolutely packed from people who hop on at MOA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast