Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where will we be listening to the Twins next year?

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jctwins View Post
    Pretty much everything in this post is right. PA is awful, unlistenable, and any other adjective that means bad.

Common is the best thing going on radio today.

Power Trip is only OK when Rosey is on.
    This. PA isn't awful because he is a blatant homer - he's awful because he sounds like one of the radio guys on The Simpsons. Annoying sounders, obnoxious (borderline creepy at times) jokes, over-the-top catchphrases, and non-stop shallow opinions. The only time his show is tolerable is when Charch is adding expertise and normalcy to his otherwise streaming mass of stupidity.

The Power Trip couldn't name half the teams in baseball. All of Morris' takes boil down to "You know....that player....could be really good....if he, um.....plays good." Sadly, he's the most insightful, talented, and entertaining of the bunch. Their ratings are more a product of limited competition than actual entertainment value.

I like Bump, but Barreiro is better when he talks politics and social issues than sports. Personally, I like that. If it's all sports all the time you get 47 consecutive days of "will Dwight Howard" be traded. Eventually even sports can become nauseatingly repetitive if it isn't balanced out.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    I still think it was a mistake to take a few more dollars and leave 'CCO.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I would agree if it was just the money, but could WCCO cover the Twins the way KSTP does? I don't think so. WCCO was never going to be an all sports station and it's nowhere near the talk station giant it used to be. I'm not sure why - they certainly have the signal strength. But they seem a little lost. I'm not sure a talk station can be super-successful any more if it doesn't focus on either sports or politics (and it has to be either a left or right side of politics). So long as they don't embrace one of these, I'm not sure they can still succeed as the "community focused talk station" that they used to be.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Gophers - both football and hockey/basketball - dropped them too.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I would agree if it was just the money, but could WCCO cover the Twins the way KSTP does? I don't think so. WCCO was never going to be an all sports station and it's nowhere near the talk station giant it used to be. I'm not sure why - they certainly have the signal strength. But they seem a little lost. I'm not sure a talk station can be super-successful any more if it doesn't focus on either sports or politics (and it has to be either a left or right side of politics). So long as they don't embrace one of these, I'm not sure they can still succeed as the "community focused talk station" that they used to be.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Gophers - both football and hockey/basketball - dropped them too.
    As long as I have to listen to Soucheray bitch about stuff like flashlights and starting the lawn mower in the garage, 1500 will never be a sports station. WCCO could do the same thing they do in a heartbeat.

ANYTHING but AM1500!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

Nothing says "major league" like a third rate AM station that can't be heard a few miles from the stadium.

all star game

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Interesting.

As far as the All-Star game goes, they won't announce that until some time next year. I think it happens in the May time frame. They didn't announce the 2013 ASG until May 16th. Most people knew where it was going to be already. In the announcement for the 2013 game, they even mentioned that the 2014 ASG will most likely be held at Target Field.
    Twins will wait till season ticket renewal date and use it as a lure for people to renew. its all about the $$$$

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    Nothing says "major league" like a third rate AM station that can't be heard a few miles from the stadium.
    Pretty much.

We used to listen to the Twins on 830....in the very southwest corner of Minnesota.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I like 1500 more, because the games are not interrupted for rain and hail reports from old people calling into the station. I really like to hear the game when the game is going on. Big plus for 1500.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I can't get KFAN up north on my boat so screw them, NTM no regulars on that stations know jack-sh*t about baseball.

Hope they stay with 1500, it's been that way since I was little and I ****ing hate change.
    Man, I agree that KFan's hosts are horrible when it comes to baseball. I almost think it's on purpose to drive down the value of the Twins for the upcoming negotiations.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Barrero has some good guests and he gets some good discussions going. I do think he talks a ton of sh*t about pitch to contact and Mauer. He stills seems to have some complex about not being from Mn (just needs to get over that).

Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    Barrero has some good guests and he gets some good discussions going. I do think he talks a ton of sh*t about pitch to contact and Mauer. He stills seems to have some complex about not being from Mn (just needs to get over that).
    I work a lot of night shift and have a 1.5 hr drive to work. I listen to Barreiro almost every day on the way (IHeartRadio is pretty neat), and I think he's one of the more entertaining and fascinating sports talk hosts I've ever heard.

Never thought Souchery is a good lead in for Twins as the diehard sports fans waiting for the game turn him off.
    Would think the Twins would want a more baseball themed show for the preceding couple hrs. Could that be a negotiating tool as Souch has really started to limit his hrs on station over past couple yrs.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I miss the days of Twins games on 'CCO out here in WC Minnesota. It was easy to get them on the radio and they didn't fade out at night like now even with local radio stations on the network. GO back to WCCO!

John, remember KQRS bid on the deal and really wanted in on the broadcast rights. In fact, if I remember correctly, KQ had the most lucrative offer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123