Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where will we be listening to the Twins next year?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BTW, if you're intersted in the latest radio ratings, here was what David Brauer of Minnpost published in May:

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/201...-radio-ratings

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,475 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Hope they stay with 1500, it's been that way since I was little and I ****ing hate change.
    This sentence is cracking me up for some reason.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    This sentence is cracking me up for some reason.

Wait a minute, was it always 1500 or was is 840 with WCCO?

Either way the point stands.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jctwins View Post
    Serious question. Do they know who can hear the games where? I literally can't pick up the game or pre/post game for that matter in my house because of the interference at that frequency. As I said I lose it half the time driving around in the SW suburbs, too. It's seems unreal to me that a local baseball team would be on a frequency that is that unreliable in a metro area. As was pointed out before, this was a huge benefit to the low frequency WCCO frequency back in the day.
    Also, is it just me or are there some nights, during the game broadcast that 1500 appears to be dead air? Especially if you're in the Woodbury area?

I think switching would be a mistake. 1500 devotes significant time to the Twins and have pretty knowledgeable guys talking about it. KFAN always feels so forced with their Twins talk. (Though, admittedly, I haven't listened to anything on KFAN before noon in months. I found I was leaking brain-matter out of my ears directly proportional to the presence of The Power Trip or Paul Allen on the radio)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    KFAN always feels so forced with their Twins talk. (Though, admittedly, I haven't listened to anything on KFAN before noon in months. I found I was leaking brain-matter out of my ears directly proportional to the presence of The Power Trip or Paul Allen on the radio)

Common and Bumb are the only things worth listening to on that station.

Common and Bumb are the only things worth listening to on that station.
    *Insert obnoxious "Whoa!" sounder from Paul Allen show*

How does anyone tolerate the talentless, knowledge-less hacks they have on before Common? Hell, Common's bit is to be a talentless, knowledge-less hack and he's better at it than the guys that actually are!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What could also happen is they stay on 1500AM, but cut a deal so that they can simulcast on 96.3FM. Don't the vikes have games on the AM and FM dial? Currently you can get games on 107.1FM, but only on their "HD2" station, so if you don't have an HD radio you are out of luck.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    *Insert obnoxious "Whoa!" sounder from Paul Allen show*

How does anyone tolerate the talentless, knowledge-less hacks they have on before Common? Hell, Common's bit is to be a talentless, knowledge-less hack and he's better at it than the guys that actually are!
    I haven't listened to PA since he had the sidekick that smoked crack, but he's like Dave. Constantly selling hope for the ****ty local team, I get why he's popular even though he's just a Tony Bruno rip-off.

I know John is on the AM show so I'll leave that alone, but yeah it's...it is what it is.

I know John is on the AM show so I'll leave that alone, but yeah it's...it is what it is.
    Oh, didn't know that - my apologies John. But um, yeah, those guys are the problem.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Wait a minute, was it always 1500 or was is 840 with WCCO?

Either way the point stands.
    It was 830 when you were little. They just went to ****ty 1500 a few years ago.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I've been paying attention to this for obvious reasons. Here is my take, fwiw, which is not much.

As for KTWN, I thnk it is typically brilliant Pohlad maneuvering. They buy a station, try to operate it so it doesn't lose money, but a good chunk of its value comes as leverage for their radio contract. I'm sure the Twins will claim that it will be nice to have their own all-day coverage which they can control. (And I don't doubt they believe it. They very much like to control their message.) They also have established this Treasure Island Baseball Network, and they could build that out. Finally, if the Twins move to KTWN, they would develop an asset for the Pohlads. But I just can't believe they'll actually moving to a fairly small FM station.

So ultimately, I think they'll end up on KSTP again. They can't afford to let them go. (And I think the Twins know that, which is why they float this KTWN thing.) Somehow the ESPN partnership will help them out. But if KFAN really wanted to try and deliver a death blow, they could commit to go strong and get it and see if it knocks KSTP out of the sports radio biz.

(Actually, that's another good point for the Twins staying with KSTP. Going to KFAN might mean no real competition - other than KTWN - at the next round of negotiations.)
    Nice analysis and demonstration of how the Pohlad's conduct business and play for keeps. "Fairly small FM station"? I only know of the station's existence when accidentally landing on it, their numbers are microscopic, I didn't even know the call letters until yesterday. From MNPost in May: "K-TWIN, which dumped hip-hop for a rock-based format and local morning show, sunk like a stone. In March, the station had to a 1.7 percent share of the total Twin Cities audience, down from a 4.1 a year earlier."

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jctwins View Post
    It was 830 when you were little. They just went to ****ty 1500 a few years ago.
    My mistake, but I get 1500 on the boat and nothing helps fishing like listening to Blackburn get yanked in the 3rd.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 447 Times in 218 Posts
    Also, is it just me or are there some nights, during the game broadcast that 1500 appears to be dead air?
    That's just Gladden with his homerun call.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    I still listen to KFAN, but only PA and Common attempt to give the Twins proper coverage, and one is rarely critical because he's got so many connections to the team, and the other is rarely positive because sarcasm is his bit.

Otherwise you get stuff like the Power Trip that gets hijacked by Cory Cove every day trying to make everyone think stuff that he doesn't care for is boring and pointless and the only league that matters is the NBA. Sorry John, but I'm still ticked off at that guy for spoiling the Olympic results yesterday morning without giving any spoiler alert warnings. He said it so smugly it was easy to tell he was enjoying ruining the broadcast later in the evening for anyone who was planning on watching.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 08-03-2012 at 01:20 PM.

I drive from St. Paul to White Bear and lose the game totally.

Also, not a lot of admiration for pre and post game showcases, on the whole. For any of his shortcomings, still liked Dark Star after a game.

Pohlad radio, pure leverage. The Twins Broadcast network...basically what the major TV stations do...we control the product and the advertising and maybe throw a few local biggets your way to keep you happy.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'll stick up for my boys and PA too, and not just because I know them.

I've been a fan of P.A. & Dubay since literally their first week of replacing Jesse and I still like that show. I love that he loves sports and is unapologetic for it. I love that he loves the home teams (me too) and is unapologetic for it. And I don't have a problem with him being subjective provided he doesn't pretend to be objective, and he absolutely doesn't. And he knows a lot of sports several levels deeper than most. He's the closest thing to a sports geek in this market.

As for the Powertrip, I haven't always been an avid listener - for instance back when there was the whole Stomp The Star thing. They also don't pretend that they LOVE sports, or that's all they want to talk about (except maybe football. Lord, do all three of them love football.) So if I only wanted sports talk, they're probably not my choice. But they're entertaining way beyond sports and I can honestly say that the reason I go in there twice per week is because I can count on at least one good belly laugh, sometimes of the gross variety, and that's not something we middle-aged dads get to do very often. FWIW, they're the second rated morning show in the Twin Cities and within a couple of percentage points of KQ, last I heard.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Also, about "do they know where their signal is strong or weak" I think the answer is yes, they hear about that. But it's complicated to fix. I get the sense that some radios work in a certain area and some don't, or that the signal can be affected by electrical interference on some roads but not on others. In general, I think the FM signal is stronger these days, which is one reason that KFAN switched. (The other reason is that a lot of people have FM only radios now.)

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    On the subject of station quality, I think it can be broken down to the appeal of either personality or content, and if you are lucky enough to have both.

When it comes to KFAN, my opinion on the shows are:

Power Trip - Having a local show on before 9am is nice. Sludge lives up to his name and is hard to listen to, he is very negative and has tastes that don't mesh with mine in the slightest. Hearing about how 311 is better than the Beatles daily - need more be said? Chris I don't have a strong opinion on other than again, very different interests. Mike can have fun stories and in general is fun to listen to, I like him. I never go out of my way to turn this show on however, it just isn't that good. I remember in 2010 when the Twins were playing game 1 vs the Yanks in the post season they didn't mention the Twins ONCE during the entire show when they giggled about it at the end before sign off and said "oh yeah I guess the Twins are playing tonight" after spending hours blabbing about meaningless Vikings preseason minutia.

PA - Unlistenable. PA is all about promoting PA. Anything non-Vikings related discussed is most likely due to the partnership with FSN where they send Coom-Dog, Laudner or someone else over to endure him for a segment of Baseball. Judd and Phunn on the other dial however is probably the best sports show in town right now - two fairly normal guys having decent discussions. Nothing too in depth, but at least its something.

Common - Common can be a lot of fun, he points out the ridiculous nature of PA and Rosen and others, but in a way they are comfortable with of course. It isn't a sports show even when sports are discussed, but he does tend to break things down on a normal level rather than keep things pedestalized more often than not. The Dark Star segment was always fun for Twins talk, even if Dark was towing the line most obviously for them. Over on the other dial Reusse and Mackey will talk ball more than any other program but Reusse never offers any insight and is usually promoting an agenda. Mackey can sometimes have a fun topic, but more than often will bring up something obnoxious and beat it to death (Obsessed over bringing Punto back, "Mauer-haters" are morons, not focussing on anything other than one aspect of the topic, LeBron love overload, etc....). So it's a tough listen. Baseball will be there but it's not good hosts. Common might not break down last nights game but he can be entertaining at least.

Barreiro - See section on PA only add bad politics. I'll take Souch any day of the week over this.

Gleeman & the Geek is the only sports related content on KFAN that offers anything insight or fun discussion on baseball.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    Well, we could not disagree more on the various personalities.....as for where the games are carried, I prefer a dedicated sports station, so we get good shows and discussions, especially pre and post game

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls View Post
    On the subject of station quality, I think it can be broken down to the appeal of either personality or content, and if you are lucky enough to have both.

When it comes to KFAN, my opinion on the shows are:

Power Trip - Having a local show on before 9am is nice. Sludge lives up to his name and is hard to listen to, he is very negative and has tastes that don't mesh with mine in the slightest. Hearing about how 311 is better than the Beatles daily - need more be said? Chris I don't have a strong opinion on other than again, very different interests. Mike can have fun stories and in general is fun to listen to, I like him. I never go out of my way to turn this show on however, it just isn't that good. I remember in 2010 when the Twins were playing game 1 vs the Yanks in the post season they didn't mention the Twins ONCE during the entire show when they giggled about it at the end before sign off and said "oh yeah I guess the Twins are playing tonight" after spending hours blabbing about meaningless Vikings preseason minutia.

PA - Unlistenable. PA is all about promoting PA. Anything non-Vikings related discussed is most likely due to the partnership with FSN where they send Coom-Dog, Laudner or someone else over to endure him for a segment of Baseball. Judd and Phunn on the other dial however is probably the best sports show in town right now - two fairly normal guys having decent discussions. Nothing too in depth, but at least its something.

Common - Common can be a lot of fun, he points out the ridiculous nature of PA and Rosen and others, but in a way they are comfortable with of course. It isn't a sports show even when sports are discussed, but he does tend to break things down on a normal level rather than keep things pedestalized more often than not. The Dark Star segment was always fun for Twins talk, even if Dark was towing the line most obviously for them. Over on the other dial Reusse and Mackey will talk ball more than any other program but Reusse never offers any insight and is usually promoting an agenda. Mackey can sometimes have a fun topic, but more than often will bring up something obnoxious and beat it to death (Obsessed over bringing Punto back, "Mauer-haters" are morons, not focussing on anything other than one aspect of the topic, LeBron love overload, etc....). So it's a tough listen. Baseball will be there but it's not good hosts. Common might not break down last nights game but he can be entertaining at least.

Barreiro - See section on PA only add bad politics. I'll take Souch any day of the week over this.

Gleeman & the Geek is the only sports related content on KFAN that offers anything insight or fun discussion on baseball.
    Pretty much everything in this post is right. PA is awful, unlistenable, and any other adjective that means bad.

Common is the best thing going on radio today.

Power Trip is only OK when Rosey is on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast