Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Late Season Movement?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Late Season Movement?

I don't have my finger on the pulse of the minor leagues nearly to the extent as some folks, so I thought I'd ask those that are more expert.

I'm going to Florida in early September and seeing games in Miami and Tampa. In between, I hope to see the Miracle's final regular season game in Port Charlotte. My GUESS is that at some point teams are rather set and there isn't all that much in the way of promotions and demotions during the final few weeks of the season. I don't know why I assume that, but for some reason it came to mind. Am I right? Should I expect many changes to the Miracle roster from now (or is there some point in the future where I could expect movement to slow or stop)? Mostly just curious. Wondering if I should hope/expect any of the Beloit top players to be there by the time the season ends or not.

Anyone have some insight?

Always possible but with Beloit in the playoffs & New Brit probably makin it.....could hamper Ft Myers a tad, maybe not tho.
    Play in the next 4 wks will also determine where they end up

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Frankly I do not expect many changes mainly because it is a domino effect and people have to move up from AAA, AA and A+ for Beloit players to move to Fort Myers.

If anything, the opposite might happen. The Twins have 6 people on their DL. Eventually some of them will return, which means that some players with the Twins will go to AAA, some with Rochester to AA etc. Also, I seriously expect them to trade Pavano and Capps this month. I suspect that this would result to 2-3 players who are at the Miracle or New Britain level. You might see some of these guys

But I can say that there is slim chances that Sano and Rosario go to Fort Myers for a month.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they will keep the teams that are in the playoff hunt mostly the same just so they can have the good players where they need to be.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Does anyone know of a non-collegiate position player who wasn't forced to spend at least one full season at Beloit? I can't find any, though I don't have a very efficient way to look. Perhaps they've moved a defensive minded catcher due to need, but I don't think they've caved in when it comes to other players.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. I was hopeful when we were planning the trip that maybe Sano or others would be up, but as the year's gotten later, it seemed less and less likely. A barely-related question that I'll ask here rather than start another thread...Anyone been to Port Charlotte for a game? Would I be wise to get tickets ahead of time, with the caveat that we'll be starting the day in Miami and it's possible we won't make across for the game (not the end of the world if we do since they aren't super expensive, but if we can get them easily at game time, we'd do that)?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't been to Port Charlotte for a minor league game, but I've been there for Spring Training games and I would be shocked if tickets for an Advanced A game there would be difficult to come by. I suppose they might have some kind of final-game-of-the-season Fan Appreciation Promotion that might bring a decent crowd out, but they've got a great "boardwalk" around the outfield for general admission ticketholders and I can't imagine there not being tickets available. Maybe check Port Charlotte's boxscores to see what kind of attendance they routinely get.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am thinking that Sano, Rosario, Koch and Wheeler stay in Beloit for the Playoffs. Maybe they get a Kepler or someone from E-Town to give them a few more at bats. But E-town will probably make it to the Playoffs...again.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I haven't been to Port Charlotte for a minor league game, but I've been there for Spring Training games and I would be shocked if tickets for an Advanced A game there would be difficult to come by. I suppose they might have some kind of final-game-of-the-season Fan Appreciation Promotion that might bring a decent crowd out, but they've got a great "boardwalk" around the outfield for general admission ticketholders and I can't imagine there not being tickets available. Maybe check Port Charlotte's boxscores to see what kind of attendance they routinely get.
    Yeah, checking their attendance numbers is on my to-do list, but that won't help with the other things like the "last game of season" effect and the "Sunday of Labor Day weekend" effect. Thanks for the input. I think we'll probably just go on the fly.

Unless it's a catcher, the rosters are pretty set. If anything, they might bump a couple of Elizabethton guys around as backups. You pretty much leave the A and A+ guys where they are depending on experience to keep them out of the minor league Rule 5 draft. Yes, all the DL guys need to find a home. Be interesting to se who comes up in September, though. Doubt the Twins will add anyone not already on the 40-man.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Does anyone know of a non-collegiate position player who wasn't forced to spend at least one full season at Beloit? I can't find any, though I don't have a very efficient way to look. Perhaps they've moved a defensive minded catcher due to need, but I don't think they've caved in when it comes to other players.
    tho he did attend JC....Rene Tosoni is one who skipped Beloit to go straight to Ft Myers (tho he made a 2gm playoff appearance after ELIZ)
    They definately move em up slowly

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Oswaldo Arcia spent 1/2 season there.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Oswaldo Arcia spent 1/2 season there.
    and only played DH beacause his shoulder was messed up. Still raked though.