Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chik-fil-A

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts

Chik-fil-A

So now we revoke business licenses when our politics disagree?

Seriously, how long until the lefties and righties start killing each other in the streets? This is so f-ing stupid.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The stupidity of the whole issue boggles my mind.

As far as I know they are still in business, so, what?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
    What's all this crap I keep hearing about people wanting equal rights?

Is it really that big of a deal?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    There are two groups of people who look like idiots on this:

1. Politicians trying to use this to keep Chic Fil A out of cities and states- Just shut up and find something more important to do. If you want to keep out an evil company then stop letting them put up Walmarts every 2 miles and driving out tons of other businesses. It's fast food join run by idiots, if they want to build in your city let them. If people want to boycott it and they go out of business in your city then let that happen as well.

2. The only one who looks worse then some of the polticians are the brain dead yokels who decided to pilgrimage out to Chic Fil A the other day for the Chic Fil A appreciation day. If you are following anything Rick Santorum or Sarah Palin supports at this point you are the definition of a moron. Gay marriage is well on its way in this country, so people better just get used to it if they don't like it. Eating a 3000 calorie lunch on August 1st isn't going to change that. You just spent 2-3 hours waiting on a fast food chicken sandwich!

Personally I haven't eaten at a Chic Fil A in years, not bc of this, but because fast food in general is pretty awful for you. It has also been known for years that the CEO throws millions each year at anti gay marriage bills, groups etc. I am totally behind people "boycotting" it though, in fact I am for people boycotting any chain fast food joint.

IMO the "debate" about Gay Marriage is stupid to begin with, how anyone can be against it in this day of age is just mind boggling to me, but if there is a debate to be had about it, it shouldn't be centered around some fast food chicken joint and there crazy rich baptist CEO.

While not all of that post I endorse - I do endorse the core ideas by Dave. The lefts resction with the licenses was ridiculous ad was the christian rights response.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is about the right giving the middle finger to the lefts proposed boycott. Of course it's time for gay marriage to be legal, the older generation on the right doesn't get that, but this is about so much more then one issue at this point. This is about saying were not only going to vote you jerks out of office in 96 days, but were gonna show you how powerful we can be just in case there is any confusion about what the election results mean. This is our country not Obama's not the media's not the so called moderates who are afraid to stand for something, and not the easily manipulated fools who will accept whatever some sports talk radio host says about politics. If the old people want to make gay marriage part of their fight fine, but they will not get in the way of us taking our country back.

By the way I know Obama said he supports gay marriage after Biden let his opinion slip, whats the president done to back up that lie? He opposes gay marriage more then any 6th district Republican.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeer View Post
    This is about the right giving the middle finger to the lefts proposed boycott. Of course it's time for gay marriage to be legal, the older generation on the right doesn't get that, but this is about so much more then one issue at this point. This is about saying were not only going to vote you jerks out of office in 96 days, but were gonna show you how powerful we can be just in case there is any confusion about what the election results mean. This is our country not Obama's not the media's not the so called moderates who are afraid to stand for something, and not the easily manipulated fools who will accept whatever some sports talk radio host says about politics. If the old people want to make gay marriage part of their fight fine, but they will not get in the way of us taking our country back.

By the way I know Obama said he supports gay marriage after Biden let his opinion slip, whats the president done to back up that lie? He opposes gay marriage more then any 6th district Republican.
    This is awesome on too many levels.
    Papers...business papers.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbeer View Post

Do you really believe this? Any of it?

A we weak "moderates" how dare we not go blindly one way or the other! You know, despite what the blubbering walrus might say - you can have a strong opinion that falls between right and left-wing extremism. Shocking, I know.

That said, it is true that the Democrats are just vote pandering with gay marriage. It just bothers me that they are wielding the government's powers against people who have differing opinions on gay marriage. I don't think there has been adequate criticism of that abhorrent move.

The whole issue is ridiculous. And making this fuss probably only helps Chick-Fil-A. I personally believe gay marraige should be legal, but the reaction is embarrasing. Of couse the right has to then react to the left's reaction to make themselves look just as foolish.

As an independent, I as usual, shake my head at both sides wondering if they will tackle more important matters or if they will just grandstand to their bases hoping to get one more vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    A we weak "moderates" how dare we not go blindly one way or the other! You know, despite what the blubbering walrus might say - you can have a strong opinion that falls between right and left-wing extremism. Shocking, I know.

That said, it is true that the Democrats are just vote pandering with gay marriage. It just bothers me that they are wielding the government's powers against people who have differing opinions on gay marriage. I don't think there has been adequate criticism of that abhorrent move.
    What, pandering to the people who believe in equal rights? Pandering to the people who think being a bigot makes you kinda a bad person? I really dont care why obama or any democrat supports gay marriage, they arent wasting their breath demonizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by flpmagikat View Post
    What, pandering to the people who believe in equal rights? Pandering to the people who think being a bigot makes you kinda a bad person? I really dont care why obama or any democrat supports gay marriage, they arent wasting their breath demonizing it.
    I believe they're pandering to it because many of them don't actually want gay marriage allowed.

And, again I'll say this, no one has a right to be married. Straight, gay, or otherwise. We could make some serious progress allowing gay marriage if we'd stop talking about it in such obnoxiously stupid terms (traditional vs. rights).

Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    The whole issue is ridiculous. And making this fuss probably only helps Chick-Fil-A. I personally believe gay marraige should be legal, but the reaction is embarrasing. Of couse the right has to then react to the left's reaction to make themselves look just as foolish.

As an independent, I as usual, shake my head at both sides wondering if they will tackle more important matters or if they will just grandstand to their bases hoping to get one more vote.
    Well said.

I honestly think most people dont give a damn if gay people call themselves married. Some folks on the right and less on the left get all up in arms about what constitutes a marriage. I prefer the democrats support of the matter, even if it just comes in the form of apathy. Marriage isnt a right, but to entitle some citizens to certain right because they happened to have been born a certain way is discrimination.

I honestly think most people dont give a damn if gay people call themselves married. Some folks on the right and less on the left get all up in arms about what constitutes a marriage. I prefer the democrats support of the matter, even if it just comes in the form of apathy. Marriage isnt a right, but to entitle some citizens to certain right because they happened to have been born a certain way is discrimination.
    We discriminate all the time when we grant licenses. Discrimination isn't the problem - it's that it's groundless, stupid reasons for it that are the problem.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really Lev? Its pretty funny lately we've had a few topics that I side with the left on... Anyway, saying discrimination isn't apart of this is a reach. Being married has benefits in this country, mostly tax benefits. When anyone specifies that one group (man and woman) can be married and another group (man and man or woman and woman) cannot, you are discriminating and not giving equal rights to all groups. I could care less about the church and who can be married under God, we are just talking being married by law. I don't see why its that complicated actually. I don't understand the anti-gay position at all. This doesn't effect them other than give them a right that others aren't granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Really Lev? Its pretty funny lately we've had a few topics that I side with the left on... Anyway, saying discrimination isn't apart of this is a reach. Being married has benefits in this country, mostly tax benefits. When anyone specifies that one group (man and woman) can be married and another group (man and man or woman and woman) cannot, you are discriminating and not giving equal rights to all groups. I could care less about the church and who can be married under God, we are just talking being married by law. I don't see why its that complicated actually. I don't understand the anti-gay position at all. This doesn't effect them other than give them a right that others aren't granted.
    We don't give equal rights to all groups when it comes to licenses because a license is only intended to go to some, not all. From a legal/government point of view we aren't discriminating against 14 year olds because we don't let them drive. Or against the illiterate because we don't license them to teach. Or against the blind to drive school buses.

I do agree that the people opposed to gay marriage are doing it out of bigotry, it just irks me to hear that we are denying people "rights". A license is not something you have a "right" to.

Last weekend, I went to one of my best friends weddings. That day, I witnessed a smile ive never seen before on not only his, but his wife and all their families faces. I went with a male date who I have no intentions of marrying. I cant really consider the option, as it isnt legal in this state and some politicians are working to make sure that it never happens based on their religous views. There's a fair chance Joe Biden and Barack Obama dont particularly like what I do, but ill take their Fairweather support over the hate that I recieve from those on the other side. I know you're more libertarian than anything, but being a centrist doesnt mean both sides are equal.

but ill take their Fairweather support over the hate that I recieve from those on the other side. I know you're more libertarian than anything, but being a centrist doesnt mean both sides are equal.
    Very true, didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Though I would argue that fairweather support has a good deal to do with why so little progress has been made. There isn't much courage coming from that side of the aisle, though clearly far less bigotry. The "defense of marriage" stuff is motivated by hate and bigotry, so you're right that the other side of coin has been far worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast