Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Article: Trade Flatline

  1. #1
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,683
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    323

    Article: Trade Flatline


  2. #2
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    83
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    ...no trade is better than a bad trade.
    After watching Bill Smith over the last few years, nobody should understand that better than Twins fans.

  3. #3
    just get ready for TRyan to talk about the Aug waiver trades that can be made......am/was a fan of his the first run, but just think the game 'may' have passed him by. Conservative approach/not lovin youth combo is gonna leave this franchise in ruins

  4. #4
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    60
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    There's always the element of what we couldn't see during the negotiations, but I don't begrudge fans for worrying that the same brain trust/scouting crew who brought us Nishioka might not have had a good sense of what offers included truly good ballplayers. With a bit of a prospect logjam in the outfield, trading an outfielder wouldn't likely have hurt the future, and it seems odd that no one was offering value for Span or Willingham. Fans have lost trust in the Twins FO, and for very good reasons.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Posts
    174
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by LastOnePicked View Post
    the same brain trust/scouting crew who brought us Nishioka
    For what its worth, I heard Ryan on the radio a few weeks back talking specifically about the scouting process for Nishi, saying that when 'they' went back to the tapes, 'they' still see a guy that they want and feel confident about the offer that was made. For whatever reason that guy never made the trip across the ocean.

    Clearly it was a huge failure, but it was interesting to hear that comment.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Posts
    174
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3
    It stinks to see the trend of getting nothing for the players the team deals continue, but in the case with Liriano I don't think there was much more that could be done. And its amazingly bad timing that Pavano and especially Capps go down on the DL when they did.

    The stinkage continues as the thing I think everybody wants to feel (I know I do) is that the club is making moves to turn things around, even if its holding out hope on some solid A and AA prospects, but so far nothing has really happened since 99 losses outside of Willingham. Doumit and Carroll have been great too, but they are temporary fixes that play multiple positions. We need to have people locked down in their roles, and, obviously, get some pitching. Now the wait for possible waiver moves begins, but I wouldn't count on that too much - I think winter meetings is the next likely step for a possible move in the right direction. Thats a long time to wait for the chance of a hope that maybe 2014 wont be terrible. Tough times.

  7. #7
    I guess the game passed him by when he signed Willingham, burton, Doumit and carrol?

  8. #8
    I'm sure the Sox fans will have as much fun with Frankie as we've had the last several years (poor souls). As fun as it is to witness Liriano's (rare) glorious moments, I can't believe how many fans forget his countless, grotesque starts (his most recent for the Twins, a shining example).

    Considering that our offense (which had a pathetic April) is currently 6th in the league in both hits and OBP, I'm guessing that this is one of the more potent units we've had in some time (if only we can improve on our "clutch"). It's understandable to be a bit optimistic about our chances in the near future for these reasons. In addition, our overtaxed bullpen (currently 3rd in innings pitched amongst all league bullpens) is cheap and decent. There is nothing worse than going all in on a bullpen guy (Fuentes, Capps).

    It's far easier to focus exclusively on starting pitching in the offseason as opposed to trying to replenish lost position players that are both competent and cap-friendly (Morneau/Mauer aside), in addition to starting pitching. Writing off Liriano, Pavano, Capps, and Bakes gives us at least some wriggle room to sign 2 actual pitchers this offseason.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    It's a bull**** excuse and you know it. They could have sign Liriano long ago. If Span and Willy arn't wanted they could trade Buxton and Hicks. Parmelee instead of Justin. They can't even move a infielder for crying out loud!

  10. #10
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,520
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Mchans24 View Post
    I guess the game passed him by when he signed Willingham, burton, Doumit and carrol?
    Yeah, this concept that Terry Ryan (or Mike Radcliff or the Twins scouts) are in over their heads and the game has passed them by is really a weak one. The game is the same. The scouting is the same. What they're looking for is the same. These guys are good, and they get the game and how it works to incredible detail. I have full confidence in Terry Ryan and Mike Radcliff. I don't know if they will be able to bring a World Series title, because that isn't something that's predictable, but I have full confidence that they'll get the Twins back to competing for division titles and into the playoffs, and once in the playoffs, see what happens.

    I just think that teams are so not willing to deal prospects, even for really good players. Ryan fully understands the need to build from within to sustain success, and so do all the other GMs.

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,122
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    It's a bull**** excuse and you know it. They could have sign Liriano long ago. If Span and Willy arn't wanted they could trade Buxton and Hicks. Parmelee instead of Justin. They can't even move a infielder for crying out loud!
    Buxton was drafted less than two months ago. He can't be traded for over ten more months.

    But hey, we shouldn't let those pesky rules get in the way of making completely nonsensical moves that destroy the franchise long-term.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Yeah, this concept that Terry Ryan (or Mike Radcliff or the Twins scouts) are in over their heads and the game has passed them by is really a weak one. The game is the same. The scouting is the same. What they're looking for is the same. These guys are good, and they get the game and how it works to incredible detail. I have full confidence in Terry Ryan and Mike Radcliff. I don't know if they will be able to bring a World Series title, because that isn't something that's predictable, but I have full confidence that they'll get the Twins back to competing for division titles and into the playoffs, and once in the playoffs, see what happens.

    I just think that teams are so not willing to deal prospects, even for really good players. Ryan fully understands the need to build from within to sustain success, and so do all the other GMs.

    I think the game has changed considerably and Ryan/Radcliff will need to adjust big-time to be successful. You hit the nail on the head that teams are no longer willing to give up top prospects for good middle relievers or average big league bats. Because of this, the successful teams are the ones that draft and develop. Pulling off some good trades and strong international signings supplement the draft/develop aspect. It seems that the Twins have done a very poor job the last 10 years drafting and developing and now that they can't find a stupid GM to give them great MiLB prospects for their vets I hope TR realizes that he/they need to do a much better job drafting/developing than they have over the last 10 years or the franchise will be the new/old Pirates.

  13. #13
    Totally agree with "no trade is better than a bad trade." Remember Johan Santana, Matt Garza, J.J. Hardy, Wilson Ramos, etc?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    382
    Like
    3
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    19
    Finally an article on the front page showing a little bit of reason. So many ignorant overactions to the FO and the perceived lack of activity or intelligence.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Double-A MWLFan's Avatar
    Posts
    197
    Like
    9
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    14
    You have to love over reaction Wednesday. The day when the message boards whip around more then a tilt a whirl ride at the state fair with a three 17 year old boys in it. Very few moves made at the trade deadline make much of a difference in the scope of a season, some actually hurt a team. Frankie is gone, if most people had heard that this trade had been made two months ago I think they would have been giddy that we stuck the White Sox with him and got a couple of warm bodies in return. In typical former "Franchise" mode he rattled off some good games and made our ADD fan base forget how bad he truely was and how that really lead to the awful season we are stuck in right now. As far as the other "trades" not happening, as the Stones remind us Time is on our Side. Sano, Buxton, Rosario and company will not be ready for a couple more years so the arms can come in this winter to join them in A or AA ball or if we are lucky maybe join Hicks and Arcia in AAA. Does this mean we will be in the crapper next year too, maybe. But it takes awhile to rebuild a baseball system, more so then a football or basketball team. Different beasts. Chill folks. 2012 was not going to get better and 2013 can still be improved upon in the winter.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,339
    Like
    1,307
    Liked 1,290 Times in 744 Posts
    there's one very important point to keep in mind: no trade is better than a bad trade.

    When there's nothing good to talk about, I guess we can always resort to platitudes .... and while this is correct, it's not much comfort.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    382
    Like
    3
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    You have to love over reaction Wednesday. The day when the message boards whip around more then a tilt a whirl ride at the state fair with a three 17 year old boys in it. Very few moves made at the trade deadline make much of a difference in the scope of a season, some actually hurt a team. Frankie is gone, if most people had heard that this trade had been made two months ago I think they would have been giddy that we stuck the White Sox with him and got a couple of warm bodies in return. In typical former "Franchise" mode he rattled off some good games and made our ADD fan base forget how bad he truely was and how that really lead to the awful season we are stuck in right now. As far as the other "trades" not happening, as the Stones remind us Time is on our Side. Sano, Buxton, Rosario and company will not be ready for a couple more years so the arms can come in this winter to join them in A or AA ball or if we are lucky maybe join Hicks and Arcia in AAA. Does this mean we will be in the crapper next year too, maybe. But it takes awhile to rebuild a baseball system, more so then a football or basketball team. Different beasts. Chill folks. 2012 was not going to get better and 2013 can still be improved upon in the winter.
    Voices of reason? Posting comments?? Where is all the fire and brimstone?

    When the Twins a strong in a couple of years, I hope that all the naysayers will post videos on Youtube eating crow. (But I know they won't).

  18. #18
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    134
    Like
    1
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    No gnews is good gnews says Gary Gnus.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,999
    Like
    104
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    It's a bull**** excuse and you know it. They could have sign Liriano long ago. If Span and Willy arn't wanted they could trade Buxton and Hicks. Parmelee instead of Justin. They can't even move a infielder for crying out loud!
    Lol yes, let's trade a top prospect like Hicks for the hell of it, or Parmelee who has next to zero value since he doesn't get any major league playing time.

    That will fix things!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    107
    Like
    50
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

    Exactly!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    It's a bull**** excuse and you know it. They could have sign Liriano long ago. If Span and Willy arn't wanted they could trade Buxton and Hicks. Parmelee instead of Justin. They can't even move a infielder for crying out loud!
    "No trade is better than a bad trade" is the weakest defense of this mess. By definition when you are the worst team in the majors doing nothing is malpractice. You can't be worse than this team is from a pitching and player development standpoint. You can't continue to say we aren't going to do anything at the trfade deadline because we're afraid we're going to make a bad trade then turn around and say signing free agents is "chasing your tail" like Ryan said yesterday.

    This is nothing but incompetence. Pure and simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.