Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3:00

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It is interesting to note that Josh Whetzel said that Ray Chang pinch hit for Pedro Florimon in the 12th inning this afternoon. Still could be something? Maybe?
    Was watching the game Seth. Looks like it was a last minute decision for no apparant reason.

It seems that the majority of the guys moved at the deadline were rentals as opposed to guys under long-term contracts. Just look at the Twins situation. Almost all their trade chips were guys under contract for next year or beyond. Because of that, the asking price was super high compared to most of the other deals done at the deadline.

It seems the Twins might be more successful in the off season to move some of the long term contracts when teams aren't in panic mode.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD33 View Post
    It seems that the majority of the guys moved at the deadline were rentals as opposed to guys under long-term contracts. Just look at the Twins situation. Almost all their trade chips were guys under contract for next year or beyond. Because of that, the asking price was super high compared to most of the other deals done at the deadline.

It seems the Twins might be more successful in the off season to move some of the long term contracts when teams aren't in panic mode.
    I think this is pretty much right. Morneau and Span are the two guys the Twins should have seriously considered trading and their value will be the same, or even more, in the offseason.

It's no secret that the Twins want major league ready starting pitching back in any trade, which is nearly impossible to acquire at the deadline without giving up prospects. The offseason is when you can trade major league players for major league players.

For the record, the one guy I would have seriously considered trading was Burton and would have listened hard on Perkins. Also would have traded Carroll, but its possible no offer was made and he can probably still be moved in August, along with Capps and Pavano and possibly even Morneau.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    How is the value more, if you get them for 3 months less time? I don't get that argument (well, maybe I get it for Morneau and his contract....). How is getting less of Span worth more than getting more of him? I'm baffled that MLB teams would think that, baffled.
    Lighten up Francis....

And adding insult to injury, who should be pitching tonight but the man guaranteed to end a modest four-game winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    How is the value more, if you get them for 3 months less time? I don't get that argument (well, maybe I get it for Morneau and his contract....). How is getting less of Span worth more than getting more of him? I'm baffled that MLB teams would think that, baffled.
    In my opinion, the in-season trade deadline is about immediacy. Therefore, asking prices are higher for lower quality players than in the off season. So a team might think to wait until the off season when they can get a better deal on Span when the asking prices aren't jacked up like they are at the deadline.

Obviously if a team really wanted Span now because they thought he would have been a difference down the stretch, they would have paid. Span wasn't the difference maker they wanted to pay a premium for this season; rather, they decide to build around him in the off season why potentially getting a more equitable deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If the Twins were trading only for prospects I think you are correct.

However, I think the Twins want to trade Span for someone who will be in their rotation at the start of next year, be controllable for multiple seasons, and be more than a backend starter. That is really difficult for a team to part with in the middle of the season - if they had a pitcher that good they would already be in their rotation and wouldn't want to create one hole to fill a different one. In the offseason it works because you can trade a pitcher and fill that hole either through free agency or by making a separate trade.

I'm sure the Twins would have accepted a package of only prospects, but it would have had to have been a really good package (even overpaying), one that ultimately wasn't offered.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    This year has nothing to do with last year.
    Last year, the Twins had several valuable free agents which they ended up keeping.
    This year, the Twins traded the only free agent with any value.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Why do so many people want to trade Burton and Perkins?
    Two cheap power arms and trade for what?? Supposedly, bullpen arms are easy to pick up, but ours will bring in a boat load of prospects.
    Perkins and his agent showed the Twins some goodwill by signing a long term under value contract, so lets burn him for a C prospect before the ink is even dry. That will put out a good message.
    The Twins would be foolish to trade away a couple of cheap, effect power arms.
    On one hand, there is a lot of complaining about the over abundance of starting soft tossers. At least we have a couple of very good power relievers, but both should be traded.
    Last edited by Highabove; 07-31-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    This year has nothing to do with last year.
    Last year, the Twins had several valuable free agents which they ended up keeping.
    This year, the Twins traded the only free agent with any value.
    I concur. I think the only real disappointment I have with this year's deadline activity is that both Pavano and Capps are injured so we couldn't move them as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12