Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The 2008 Blueprint

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can see the similarities between the 2008 Twins and this group. I think this year's squad needs to play with a chip on its shoulder and like it has something to prove. They don't need to break bats and throw water jugs, but a nice quiet fire in the belly would be great to see.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

First off, thanks for the mention. Second, the Twins will need boosts from Pavano and Marquis to separate themselves from the 2008 staff. Two of the three remaining starters from '08 (Baker, and Blackburn) had arguably their best career season in '08, or at minimum their second best year. Frankie pitched very well for the final two months, and Perkins' production will be hard to duplicate unless we get a jolt from, say, Anthony Swarzak.

With the Twins playing a small-ball style this year, I think we need one or two guys to contribute their career-best season to keep us in games---maybe Blackburn/Liriano? I think they have the most room for improvement (if you take out '06 for Frankie).

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 740 Times in 458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only 1 year ago they were the favorites to win the central. Had everyone been healthy, they'd probably still be in conversation to win it. That 99 loss season tends to sour people's outlook when they take a big picture view. I agree the question marks here are much bigger than say with Detroit, but Detroit has it's fair share of problems as well. The central could easily turn into a 3 or 4 team race in which the winner doesn't win 90 games. For the Twins, I really think it is coming down to health.... Mauer seems OK, but Baker, Liriano, and Morneau need to be healthy look like their former selves. If they do, they will be right in this mix too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another similarity with '08 - the Detroit Tigers were heavily favored to win the division (even to win it all by some) that year after making big splashes in the offseason with the acquisitions of Cabrera, Willis and Renteria.

And they ended up falling flat on their faces.

Everyone was crowning the Tigers division after they signed Prince.

But what happened in '08 is another reminder that games are won on the field in Spring and Summer, not on paper in December and January.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great point, Jack.

I just think the starting rotation and lack of dependable arms in the bullpen will be the downfall of the Twins this year. Even if some of the pitchers do come around and have above average years, I think the Tigers are too good to fall far enough for the Twins to catch them. The Royals are also going to be better and it will be interesting to see if the Indians run last year was a fluke or if they are beginning to trend upward. It is difficult for a team to improve 15 games from one year to the next let alone 25 games to reach the 88 win total.