Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I propose a motion to ban using the cliche "pitch to contact"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I propose a motion to ban using the cliche "pitch to contact"

Is anyone else tired of this term (Pitch to Contact) being used to describe bad pitching or used to negatively describe pitchers with a low k rate? Good pitching does not necessarily mean a high strike out ratio or the ability to blaze a fastball like Kenny Powers. I think we all agree the Twins are lacking in good starting pitching right now and I don't think there is a Pitch to Contact conspiracy to blame for it. Just a bunch of starters (Baker, Blackburn, Slowey, Perkins, Liriano) who didn't end up being as good as Twins Mgmt and many fans (me included) thought they would be.
    Sorry about the rant.
    Last edited by nokomismod; 07-31-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: bad grammar

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have an abundance of pitchers who allow a great deal of contact. They also have a lack of high-caliber pitching in their organization. Sorry, but the two facts are not unrelated. I think complaints about coaches preaching the PTC philosophy are over the top, but their tendency to target pitchers with low K-rates is tiresome.

Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Can we replace it with "Pitch to Collision"?
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Or, in the case of Blackburn, "Pitch to Outfielders" or "Pitch to Seats".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Or, in the case of Blackburn, "Pitch to Outfielders" or "Pitch to Seats".
    Touche'!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I like this better. Or Pitch to explosion.

So a word filter is in order then?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shores, Esq View Post
    So a word filter is in order then?
    I wish, TD is too cool for word filters.

Power pitchers with high strike out rates get paid more. That is why the Twins dont have any power arms in their rotation. Same goes for power bats. Usually a guy who hits 30 bombs, but only hits for a .260 avg still gets paid more than a guy who hits .300 plus but only hits 6 hrs unless your name is Joe Mauer. IMO that is why the Twins draft these fast, weak hitting, avg hitters, because you should be able to retain them on the cheap.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot4227 View Post
    Power pitchers with high strike out rates get paid more. That is why the Twins dont have any power arms in their rotation. Same goes for power bats. Usually a guy who hits 30 bombs, but only hits for a .260 avg still gets paid more than a guy who hits .300 plus but only hits 6 hrs unless your name is Joe Mauer. IMO that is why the Twins draft these fast, weak hitting, avg hitters, because you should be able to retain them on the cheap.
    In the grand scheme of drafting and developing players, I can't imagine any team is really thinking about what's gonna happen 6 years after he debuts in the majors if they can retain him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Leather to Wood

Pre 1980 Horsehide to Wood

College Leather to Aluminum

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just saying that continuously complaining about our "pitch to contact" philosphy and demanding the Anderson and Gardenhire be fired because of it gets old. Just like complaining about Mauer's contract.
    I don't think Anderson or the other Twins pitching coaches want their pitchers to leave the ball waist high over the middle.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    I don't think Anderson or the other Twins pitching coaches want their pitchers to leave the ball waist high over the middle.
    Now there is something to be said about that comment. If Gardy and Rick didn't want these crap tossing control arms then I assume they would go to the Twins Front office and demand power arms. If worrying less about walks and more about strikeouts was something they wanted they would say something. But for the better part of the last 20 years, these have been the arms that the Twins have targeted and identified in the draft. So I have a hard time believing that these crappy control pitchers aren't exactly what Rick and Gardy want.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    In the grand scheme of drafting and developing players, I can't imagine any team is really thinking about what's gonna happen 6 years after he debuts in the majors if they can retain him.
    Agreed. I could see maybe drafting based on health. College or high school pitchers with a high K rate might be throwing more sliders and high heat and tend to break down sooner than a location pitcher with a good mix.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    I prefer pitcher of beer.

Could you explain your theory on why the Twins never have any power arms, and how it seems that all the pitchers that come through the organization all seem to be cut from the same cloth?

Also you could explain the lack of power bats that come through the organization if you have time.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    Is anyone else tired of this term (Pitch to Contact) being used to describe bad pitching or negatively describe pitchers with a low k rate? Good pitching does necesarrily mean a high strike out ratio or the ability to blaze a fastball like Kenny Powers. I think we all agree the Twins are lacking in good starting pitching right now and I don't think there is a Pitch to Contact conspiracy to blame for it. Just a bunch of starters (Baker, Blackburn, Slowey, Perkins, Liriano) who didn't end up being as good as Twins Mgmt and many fans (me included) thought they would be.
    Sorry about the rant.
    I can share your sentiment. There is a difference between "pitching to contact" and just plain bad pitching. Unfortunately, the Twins are all too often guilty of the later. Good "pitch to contact" pitchers may not have high K rates, but they also don't have high opp. batting averages. They locate their pitches well and pitch intelligently so that when contact is made it is much more likely to be an out than a base hit. That means not throwing cookies belt high over the center of the plate. Personally I prefer that type of pitcher - they are the ones that are going to have career longevity, whereas the power pitcher who can't do this will start getting hit hard once they get older and a few mph comes off the fastball (Nolan Ryan being the notable exception, of course).

Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
    I prefer pitcher of beer.

Our pitching and large quantities of beer do seem to go together, but it would be nice to get to the point where one to celebrate is enough.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, thank you sbknudson. That's what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast