Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Crasnick: Minnesota Twins' Glen Perkins in "high demand"

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    1,054
    Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Like
    2
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231

    Crasnick: Minnesota Twins' Glen Perkins in "high demand"

    ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reports that the interest in Twins reliever Glen Perkins is very high. The caveat is, of course, that Perkins is signed to a long-term deal ($10.3 million through 2015 with an option for 2016) and that the Twins would need to be "overwhelmed" by an offer to trade him.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reports that the interest in Twins reliever Glen Perkins is very high. The caveat is, of course, that Perkins is signed to a long-term deal ($10.3 million through 2015 with an option for 2016) and that the Twins would need to be "overwhelmed" by an offer to trade him.
    Wow I didn't realize Perkins was signed that long, yeah, no reason to trade him unless you are overwhelmed by an offer, besides he should gather more trade value as he continues to be a "proven" closer.

    I sorta wish he would stay in his previous role, but if the choices are roll with Perkins at closer or go out and trade/sign the next "proven" Capps on the market give me Perkins in the 9th and Burton in the 8th.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    If you can deal a guy that plays 60 innings a game for an everyday player, you do it.

  4. #4
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If you can deal a guy that plays 60 innings a game for an everyday player, you do it.
    Exactly, as nice as it is having Perkins in the pen, it's 60 innings a season.

    Hell everyone on this roster should be in play today or in the offseason.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Posts
    658
    Like
    7
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Exactly, as nice as it is having Perkins in the pen, it's 60 innings a season.

    Hell everyone on this roster should be in play today or in the offseason.
    Except for Joe Mauer (who I believe has a full no-trade clause in his deal) and Jared Burton, I would have to agree with you. BUT, make sure that you get a good/great deal for anyone signed to long-term deals, because we really don't have anyone besides injured SP's hitting FA now so we don't actually have to move anyone.

  6. #6
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Except for Joe Mauer (who I believe has a full no-trade clause in his deal) and Jared Burton
    Mauer & Burton...huh?

  7. #7
    Owner All-Star Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    1,054
    Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Like
    2
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231
    Yeah, I guess I don't see why Burton shouldn't be in play for the right deal. Found money at that point.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,293
    Like
    32
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Mauer is obviously off the block.

    Plouffe would be second on my list since I believe that he can be at least an average 3Bman and he has 5 more years of min/arb contracts.

    Revere can be traded because it's an org depth.

    burton only has one more year of arb left so he can be traded but if not I think they should try to extend him a reasonable 3 yr deal. I would rather keep both Perkins and Burton (extended) due to the nightmarish 2011 but if you get a really nice SP'ing (2012 nightmare) prospect offer then goodbye.

    I could see an argument for not moving Diamond since the Twins don't have any pitching but I'm not the biggest believer yet.

  9. #9
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    burton only has one more year of arb left so he can be traded but if not I think they should try to extend him a reasonable 3 yr deal. I would rather keep both Perkins and Burton (extended) due to the nightmarish 2011 but if you get a really nice SP'ing (2012 nightmare) prospect offer then goodbye.
    Boo to extending non-elite relief pitchers!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Posts
    106
    Like
    48
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    [QUOTE=J-Dog Dungan;40442]Except for Joe Mauer (who I believe has a full no-trade clause in his deal) and Jared Burton
    QUOTE]

    Did you mean don't move Mauer because he's too valuable or can't move Mauer because of the no-trade clause and exorbitant contract? He's obviously not going anywhere, your statement just made me curious to your thoughts on him.

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Mauer is obviously off the block.

    Plouffe would be second on my list since I believe that he can be at least an average 3Bman and he has 5 more years of min/arb contracts.

    Revere can be traded because it's an org depth.

    burton only has one more year of arb left so he can be traded but if not I think they should try to extend him a reasonable 3 yr deal. I would rather keep both Perkins and Burton (extended) due to the nightmarish 2011 but if you get a really nice SP'ing (2012 nightmare) prospect offer then goodbye.

    I could see an argument for not moving Diamond since the Twins don't have any pitching but I'm not the biggest believer yet.
    Plouffe's value is still quite low. I don't see a point in trading him (plus, he's on the DL).

    Revere is an option, though I think it makes more sense to move Span because of his value. But if a team is biting on Revere, you certainly listen to them.

    Burton probably doesn't have much value, either... but if a team is interested, you ship him out yesterday.

    Diamond is a classic "sell high" case. I know it sucks to think about moving the team's only consistent starter, but...

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,172
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    The only players who should be off the table at this point are guys who are making the minimum and are under team control for a while: Plouffe, Revere, Dozier, Diamond, Burnett. Maybe I forgot somebody else who is not Arb eligible the coming off-season. That's about it.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,293
    Like
    32
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Plouffe's value is still quite low. I don't see a point in trading him (plus, he's on the DL).

    Revere is an option, though I think it makes more sense to move Span because of his value. But if a team is biting on Revere, you certainly listen to them.

    Burton probably doesn't have much value, either... but if a team is interested, you ship him out yesterday.

    Diamond is a classic "sell high" case. I know it sucks to think about moving the team's only consistent starter, but...
    That was actually my untradeable rankings (not in any order). Plouffe is somehow the 2nd most untradeable player at the MLB level and that perhaps says what is wrong with the current Twins.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.