Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Jays trade Travis Snider for Brad Lincoln

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,420
    Like
    63
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34

    Jays trade Travis Snider for Brad Lincoln

    According to Brad Nicholson-Smith, who I am assuming is with MLBTR, The Blue Jays have traded Travis Snider for Brad Lincoln.

    If this were Glen Perkins being traded for Travis Snider, would that be a good trade or a not so good trade?

    Just wanted to get some TD feedback on this - although a tough decision, I think I would do it.

    For a young man Travis Snider has fallen out of favor with the Blue Jays fairly quickly... is he a tough nut to crack, does he not fit into their philosophy, or is his position an organizational strength?

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I like Travis Snider, but I wouldn't trade Perkins for him now. If the Twins struggled with outfield depth, I would trade Perkins for him. Minnesota just doesn't need another one in the fold especially if they don't trade Span and Willingham. Snider's biggest problem is that he strikes out too much. I think Snider will figure things out soon enough and become a good MLB player. Awesome deal for the Pirates if Lincoln regresses.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,217
    Like
    14
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Good question. Illustrates Minnesota's dilemma.

    Snider is 24 with upside and disappointing performance.

    Perkins has been very good but as a reliever he is limited in value. He is probably the only reliever would bring Snider.

    Pitching is so weak that it is hard to imagine trading any for outfielder. I would keep Perkins.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    929
    Like
    72
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
    The Twins don't really need an underperforming outfielder. If we're talking reclamation projects, I'd rather see a pitcher than has fallen out with his organization than a guy like Travis Snider.

  5. #5
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Buying low this something the Twins just don't understand, now selling low is more there style. I'd love to see them give a Snider a chance and if it doesn't work out no biggie cause you didn't give up much.

  6. #6
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    With the impending logjam of outfielders, I see no point in the Twins pursuing an under-performing young outfielder.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,166
    Like
    97
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Isn't Snider owed a lot of money? Not a good fit here.

  8. #8
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    With the impending logjam of outfielders, I see no point in the Twins pursuing an under-performing young outfielder.
    It's not like the Hicks, Arcia & Benson group are gonna be up early next season. Give Snider 400 at-bats and lets finally see if he can play. Plus it allows Willingham to DH (where he belongs) Doumit to be an actually backup catcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Isn't Snider owed a lot of money? Not a good fit here.
    Snider is league min or damn close to it.

  9. #9
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    It's not like the Hicks, Arcia & Benson group are gonna be up early next season. Give Snider 400 at-bats and lets finally see if he can play. Plus it allows Willingham to DH (where he belongs) Doumit to be an actually backup catcher.
    If the Twins could have had him for virtually nothing, it'd be worth a flyer.

    But Glen Perkins or Jared Burton for a struggling outfielder? No thanks. The Twins could put those resources to better use than that, I think.

  10. #10
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    If the Twins could have had him for virtually nothing, it'd be worth a flyer.

    But Glen Perkins or Jared Burton for a struggling outfielder? No thanks. The Twins could put those resources to better use than that, I think.
    I probably would have made the move for Burton, relief arms fluctuate so much from year to year. To turn a minor league signing into a potential starting everyday player...I would have made that move.

  11. #11
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I probably would have made the move for Burton, relief arms fluctuate so much from year to year. To turn a minor league signing into a potential starting everyday player...I would have made that move.
    And if Snider was a struggling middle infielder or pitcher, I'd probably agree. I just don't see the point in trading resources for something the organization has in quantity, even if that quantity isn't quite ready yet.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,166
    Like
    97
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    It's not like the Hicks, Arcia & Benson group are gonna be up early next season. Give Snider 400 at-bats and lets finally see if he can play. Plus it allows Willingham to DH (where he belongs) Doumit to be an actually backup catcher.



    Snider is league min or damn close to it.
    Yep, I was thinking of Lind. Snider is probably worth a look. I would've been ok with moving a reliever for him but you'd first run it by your scouting guys and check if they think they can fix his on-base issues. It would have been a risky trade but I wouldn't have faulted the team if they did it.

  13. #13
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    And if Snider was a struggling middle infielder or pitcher, I'd probably agree. I just don't see the point in trading resources for something the organization has in quantity, even if that quantity isn't quite ready yet.
    It's called a "risk", might blow up in your face or you get a young everyday outfielder for the next 5 years for a scrap heap signing relief arm.

  14. #14
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    It's called a "risk", might blow up in your face or you get a young everyday outfielder for the next 5 years for a scrap heap signing relief arm.
    If the Twins had made the move for Burton, I'd probably applaud the ballsy-ness of the acquisition.

    But I still wouldn't be sold on the point of doing it. Either way, I wouldn't get too upset or happy about it.

    But not Perkins. No way.

  15. #15
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    If the Twins had made the move for Burton, I'd probably applaud the ballsy-ness of the acquisition.

    But I still wouldn't be sold on the point of doing it. Either way, I wouldn't get too upset or happy about it.

    But not Perkins. No way.
    I wouldn't do it for Perkins either, but I pray to everything holy that the Twins have let teams know that Perkins is in play for a trade. Teams lose there minds for relief pitchers at the deadline.

  16. #16
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I wouldn't do it for Perkins either, but I pray to everything holy that the Twins have let teams know that Perkins is in play for a trade. Teams lose there minds for relief pitchers at the deadline.
    Agreed.

  17. #17
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    The more I look at this trade, the more I like it for the Pirates. It's hard not to like what they're doing in Pittsburgh (how often can one say that?).

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    With the impending logjam of outfielders, I see no point in the Twins pursuing an under-performing young outfielder.

    Problematically though, there isn't an impending log jam of potential middle-of-the-order hitters coming up through the system.

    I don't think Snider is the right fit because we already know that lefty pull-hitters aren't a match with Target Field. But it is the right idea.

  19. #19
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ALessKosherScott View Post
    Problematically though, there isn't an impending log jam of potential middle-of-the-order hitters coming up through the system.

    I don't think Snider is the right fit because we already know that lefty pull-hitters aren't a match with Target Field. But it is the right idea.
    The idea is right. The player is wrong.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
    I would have traded Burton or anyone else in the pen not named Perkins for him in a heart beat. There is a log jam of OF currently, but we are an injury, a trade or Revere reverting to 2011 away from being suddenly a bit shallow.

    Though it didn't really fit in the Twins plans to bring in another OF at this point to be honest as there just wasn't the at bats to give him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.