Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Monday Night in the Minors

Liked 686 Times in 359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for another excellent report.

interesting that everyone of Vargas hits have been extras. Polanco seems promising, been getting plenty doubles so it's nice to see him hit one out.

I appreciate the updates! Encouraging to see the overall system improve over the last couple of years. AAA manager seems to have been a really good hire.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Hey Seth,
    It's great to see Dallas Gallant continue to strike people out as he climbs the ladder. Do you have any more info on whether his fastball is still a plus pitch?
    Thanks!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 736 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Hey Seth,
    It's great to see Dallas Gallant continue to strike people out as he climbs the ladder. Do you have any more info on whether his fastball is still a plus pitch?
    Thanks!
    He's walking nearly a batter an inning... color me unimpressed.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Hey Seth,
    Thanks!
    From what I'm told, he's throwing the ball very hard again. Very impressive considering he's about at the 14-15 month since TJ surgery.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, he's definitely a C/C+ prospect and, as 23 yr. old reliever, a very long shot to even make AA. However, I think one of the fun things about the Minors is not just reporting the stats but trying to project whether any of the stats indicate future success. In that vein, I am more impressed by the high strikeout numbers than worried about the walk totals from someone who didn't pitch at all in 2011 because of Tommy John surgery. I would also posit that his walk rate against lefties will likely improve as he regains command of his fastball (i.e. due to arm-side run).

Maybe all just mental mast********, but what's the harm of trying to identify a diamond in the rough. Besides, aren't we all clamoring for power arms?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Age and level of competition are just a couple of the variables that have to go into prospect discussion. Gallant isn't young for the level, but considering he missed a full year of development time has to factor in to where he is right now.

Similarly, people can talk about how Brian Dozier wasn't young for the level of competition until he got to AA last year. Some will even tell you that he is 'old' for a rookie. Well, when you consider that he was a four-year senior, he made a very, very fast rise to the big leagues.

That's not to say Dozier is a future all-star, or Gallant will or won't make the big leagues and be an impact reliever... it's just to say that everything has to be looked at individually and by their own merit.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Age and level of competition are just a couple of the variables that have to go into prospect discussion. Gallant isn't young for the level, but considering he missed a full year of development time has to factor in to where he is right now.

Similarly, people can talk about how Brian Dozier wasn't young for the level of competition until he got to AA last year. Some will even tell you that he is 'old' for a rookie. Well, when you consider that he was a four-year senior, he made a very, very fast rise to the big leagues.

That's not to say Dozier is a future all-star, or Gallant will or won't make the big leagues and be an impact reliever... it's just to say that everything has to be looked at individually and by their own merit.
    Good points. Also why I don't agree with the idea that the Twins hold their players in the minors "too long." Because what is "too long"? It isn't objective.