Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Paul Morosi: Mariners Focusing On Willingham?

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jon Paul Morosi: Mariners Focusing On Willingham?

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/sources_mariners_considering_willingham_craig/11325958

It's an interesting thought. The Twins give up Willingham or young Mariners pitching. They could move Revere to left field and plug Parmelee in right. Mariners are loaded w pitching prospects. Walker, Hultzen or Paxton could each be in play for Willingham, I think.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Paxton maybe, but I truly doubt the M's would move Walker or Hultzen for Willingham.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The time is now to trade the Hammer, he will never have a better year then the one he is currently having now. I dont see anything wrong with Revere, Span and Parmalee roaming the outfield. We need pitching.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    I have no idea why Seattle would think to trade for Willingham but if they'd give up a guy up the pitching, then sure.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    I am all for it....trade from strength and age, for pieces you are lacking.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Agree with DPJ I can't see any way Hultzen or Walker are available, but if either one is the Twins should send Willingham to them ASAP. What about Willingham+Benson for Hultzen?

Also beware of BingGentleBen, he blasted me last month for saying we should trade one of our OF to the Mariners, since according to him they had such amazing OF depth in Seattle

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Agree with DPJ I can't see any way Hultzen or Walker are available, but if either one is the Twins should send Willingham to them ASAP. What about Willingham+Benson for Hultzen?
    I don't think it's the time to deal Benson. His value hasn't been much lower than it is right now.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know Willingham's name has been thrown about like crazy this trading deadline like he's the ****ing prom king. But why would teams, who had a chance to sign him in the offseason for not a ton of money now buy at an all-time high, whiling taking on the rest of his contract and giving up legit prospects.

No doubt there's a market for Willingham, but I don't understand how he went from undervalued in the winter and now 7 months later he's the king of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    I don't think it's the time to deal Benson. His value hasn't been much lower than it is right now.
    Fine, then someone else aroudn the 6-10 range of our prospects.

The point is if the Marines were for some reason making Walker/Hultzen available (I can't see it happening) we should offer them Willingham and one of our top hitting prospects in return.

Anyways its all a pipedream anyways, but I'd give up anyone in a package not named Sano/Arcia/Hicks along with Willingham for a chance to land a high upside guy like Walker ot Hultzen

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about Willingham and Arcia? Right now Arcia's value is sky high, and would profile to be a very good hitter at Safeco I think. He might not have 30HR potential in that park (who does) but his hitting tools would allow him to rack up doubles and triples. Dealing from organizational strength to organizational strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    What about Willingham and Arcia? Right now Arcia's value is sky high, and would profile to be a very good hitter at Safeco I think. He might not have 30HR potential in that park (who does) but his hitting tools would allow him to rack up doubles and triples. Dealing from organizational strength to organizational strength.
    I'd hate to give up Arcia, but if thats what it took I would probably do it.

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd make the deal but I'd be surprised if the Mariners gave up any of those 3 pitching prospects.

They need to acquire hitting to time with the the arrival of those 3 arms. Not give up those arms to acquire the hitting.

Trading those arms for Hitting would be like a cat chasing it's tail. It will spin the organization dizzy.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate hate hate the idea of dealing Arcia but if he brings a can't-miss pitching prospect back, that is a bitter pill the Twins should consider swallowing.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'd make the deal but I'd be surprised if the Mariners gave up any of those 3 pitching prospects.

They need to acquire hitting to time with the the arrival of those 3 arms. Not give up those arms to acquire the hitting.

Trading those arms for Hitting would be like a cat chasing it's tail. It will spin the organization dizzy.
    Unless you're trading for a guy you think can be a cornerstone in the middle of the order. Arcia would fit that bill on many levels for the M's.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would be more willing to give up Benson than Arcia, But if we could get a front line pitching prospect and possibly some other B and C types, go for it. Oakland is proving you can win even in the American league with good to great pitching.

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless you're trading for a guy you think can be a cornerstone in the middle of the order. Arcia would fit that bill on many levels for the M's.
    Not Knocking Arcia... I'm getting excited about the kid... The Mariners need hitting but... They have been in a real dark place for a long time now. The light is at the end of the tunnel... King Felix and 3 Top line starters at AA...

To trade any of those arms is kinda like taking a long journey to get somewhere and then taking a right turn for no reason just before you get there.

If the Mariners are talking about Willingham... I'm guessing the Arms in return are Vargas or someone else.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 86 Posts
    Not sure why either team would do this deal now. They aren't going anyplace this year but this winter Hultzen and Vargas might be ok. Vargas could fill a spot next year, god knows we need starters and Hultzen is the potential ace we need. Vargas could always be flipped next July for more prospects.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    Also not sure why the Mariners would do this.....

Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    This really seems like a deal that could be done in the off-season. If Willingham keeps anything resembling this pace the whole season, there will be plenty of teams that will be willing to give up some pieces for him some time in December.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,300 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I know Willingham's name has been thrown about like crazy this trading deadline like he's the ****ing prom king. But why would teams, who had a chance to sign him in the offseason for not a ton of money now buy at an all-time high, whiling taking on the rest of his contract and giving up legit prospects.

No doubt there's a market for Willingham, but I don't understand how he went from undervalued in the winter and now 7 months later he's the king of the world.
    I think you can view it in terms of risk. At the time the Twins signed Josh, it was regarded as a good signing but with risk of injury and/or decline from a career peak. With Josh playing full-time and at a high level, the Twins have "paid" the risk some other teams didn't wish to, and now can turn a profit if they want. That profit could be in the form of a different sort of risk when you take on a young player who isn't yet established; if Ryan and his scouts are better than average at assessing all these risks, it can be a self-sustaining model, but it's (*ahem*) risky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast