Thread: Remaining Trade Chips

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Remaining Trade Chips

Going back a few days, Jayson Stark declared that the Twins asking price was:
    Morneau (pricey)
    Span (more pricey)
    Willingham (it made Stark laugh).

After seeing the result of the Liriano trade, I wonder what the Twins are asking for, given that I believe Stark also said that it was certain Liriano was going to be traded.

Not that I'd be in favor, but there are a few MLB Trade Rumor headlines that make me think that these other three aren't going anywhere. The Phillies are shopping Pence aggressively, and also still have Victorino. The Indians are open to trading Choo, who would fit the bill of any team looking for a Span-type role. If Span ends up anywhere yet, I wouldn't be shocked if it were Pittsburgh, noting this headline: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...sts-trade.html.

Correia is a free agent after the season, so it isn't like he would be the only piece of the deal, but I can see the Twins liking a guy like Correia (who in my mind, is like Nick Blackburn when he is Blackburn is getting grounders) and trying to sign him to a similar 2 year deal he is coming off with Pittsburgh. Not what they need to do.

I have no idea why I'm posting this, other than I saw the headline and got a pit in my stomach: Denard Span to Pittsburgh for Kevin Correia and an above average but not great prospect in high A or AA ball.

Your thoughts, twinsdaily readers.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Twins shouldn't trade anyone cause I"m 99.9% sure they'll screw it up.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    I could guarantee you that the Twins will not trade Span for a package headlined by Correia, nor will they trade for him at all at this point. What is the point of trading for an impending free agent when you are already out of the race?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I hope they trade some good players, because I want them to be better next year and beyond. They have a lot of very good AA outfielders, I would hope they trade Span and Wiilingham for pitching.

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I could guarantee you that the Twins will not trade Span for a package headlined by Correia, nor will they trade for him at all at this point. What is the point of trading for an impending free agent when you are already out of the race?
    Oh, I'm not saying there would be a justifiable point. And I'm not saying that Correia would be the point of the trade - there obviously would have to be more to it than that. I'm saying that I could see it happening. Correia wants to be traded. The Pirates will trade him if it makes their team better. Span would make their team better. I can see the Twins saying, "OK, rather than a good prospect, an average prospect and a low prospect, we'll take Correia and an above average prospect." And using 10 starts between now and the end of the season to decide whether they want to offer Correia a 2 year $8MM deal (which, I can totally see them doing). In no way am I justifying it, I'm saying I can see it happening.

Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    The Twins shouldn't trade anyone cause I"m 99.9% sure they'll screw it up.
    Pretty sure I'm hearing the echo of July '11 in that post. Why don't things ever change?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Pretty sure I'm hearing the echo of July '11 in that post. Why don't things ever change?
    You do trust this organization to make the right moves, cause I sure as **** don't.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 133 Times in 72 Posts
    We had the worst record in the AL last year, remember the #2 draft pick? We have had the worst record for most of this year, just moved past the Royals and some how doing nothing is the answer? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    You do trust this organization to make the right moves, cause I sure as **** don't.
    That's what I meant -- there may be a different (retread) GM but my faith in what will happen with trades hasn't increased any.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    We had the worst record in the AL last year, remember the #2 draft pick? We have had the worst record for most of this year, just moved past the Royals and some how doing nothing is the answer? I don't get it.
    Doing nothing isn't the answer. The answer is doing something without screwing up.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, how does this work? Do we now judge TR on the basis of what other clubs are willing to pay? We need young, high-ceiling power arms. We'll just trade Liriano for one. What? Nobody offered us that for Liriano? Dang! Twins's front office screwed up again!

Same thing with Span, Morneau, & Willingham. If we get some high-ceiling prospects, then of course they're going to make a move. But what if we aren't offered any? What if the choice is between a) doing nothing, or b) giving up one of these three for no more than we got for Liriano? No matter what choice TR makes, he's going to get criticized.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    So, how does this work? Do we now judge TR on the basis of what other clubs are willing to pay? We need young, high-ceiling power arms. We'll just trade Liriano for one. What? Nobody offered us that for Liriano? Dang! Twins's front office screwed up again!

Same thing with Span, Morneau, & Willingham. If we get some high-ceiling prospects, then of course they're going to make a move. But what if we aren't offered any? What if the choice is between a) doing nothing, or b) giving up one of these three for no more than we got for Liriano? No matter what choice TR makes, he's going to get criticized.

We don't know that. We have two quotes from Ryan in the last week or so. In one of them he said he was looking for high upside players in his trades, that implies he'd take younger guys in A ball if they were better prospects. In another quote he said he wants MLB ready pitchers. Those are pretty contradictory statements.

The Twins got nearly MLB ready Hernandez from the White Sox and it is being reported the Dodgers are no longer a fit for Morneau because the Dodgers don't have the MLB ready arms the Twins want. For all we know the Red Sox, Pirates and Cardinals were offering better prospects for Liriano, but they were further away and Ryan valued MLB ready more.

If true I hate this for two reasons. Obviously we would all rather wait for a good pitcher than have a fill in guy who is ready, especially if this is a rebuilding team. The second reason this sucks is because if the Twins are looking for MLB ready starters, it surely means that's how they plan on filling out the rotation next year and once again they will likely ignore top flight free agent arms.

It would make sense that Ryan first said he wants high upside guys, and then changed his tune if St. Peter told him in between quotes that payroll was going to be slashed and he wasn't going to have much money to work with next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I will judge Ryan on whether or not the team is very good to great, or not. That is his job, to make the team good.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also, it doesn't make ANY sense to take whatever we can get for any of these guys, since they are still under contract for a couple more years. Plenty of time over the off-season to get better deals

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Also, it doesn't make ANY sense to take whatever we can get for any of these guys, since they are still under contract for a couple more years. Plenty of time over the off-season to get better deals

Agree!...they all have time left on their respective contracts. I could see a smaller deal involving Carroll or even Casilla to a lesser extent.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see Carroll as possibly being dealt, and if he is dealt, I think he goes to the Nationals, because they have had discussions about acquiring a Carroll-esqe player to be a back-up shortstop, not that the Twins would get much for Carroll if they do trade him.