Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casilla's defense

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Gotta love cherry-picking numbers.
    They had a horrendous start and have been playing better since May, which is around the same time they started giving Plouffe playing time, Diamond to the rotation, Mauer started hitting well etc. If they go .500 the rest of the way we are looking at a 75 win team or so. While that is nothing special its not unheard of for a team to go from 75 to 85+ wins in a season, especially when the Twins have some nice money coming off the books this year and won't be losing anyone of real value (unless they are traded)

At this point the Twins are pretty solid offensively, defensively and relief pitching. They need SP help in a big way but if they can someone trade for/sign a couple effective starters and Gibson/Hendriks step up we could be looking at a winning ball club as early as next year.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    They had a horrendous start and have been playing better since May, which is around the same time they started giving Plouffe playing time, Diamond to the rotation, Mauer started hitting well etc. If they go .500 the rest of the way we are looking at a 75 win team or so. While that is nothing special its not unheard of for a team to go from 75 to 85+ wins in a season, especially when the Twins have some nice money coming off the books this year and won't be losing anyone of real value (unless they are traded)
    Yeah, you're just cherry picking stats that are meaningless.

It's a horriable team Dave and if the front office is stupid enough to adjust there offseason gameplan cause of a meaning W/L record from an arbitrary point in the season, then this team is more screwed then I thought.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With Casilla's defense and lack of offense, he is just what is does now for the Twins, a utility infielder. I agree with the person who commented that they will probably not offer him arbitration at the end of the year. It is time to cut ties with this type of player. We have players in Rochester (3 to be exact) who could replace his production next year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I basically agree that his best role is as a backup. For me, I would want those guys making the minimum, so I could put money into closing holes in the pitching. I would rather have one of the AAA players up here next year as the backup. And I think that is what they will do.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Does anybody on this board ever listen to Terry Ryan? They should since he's running the show. TR likes consistency and good defense, thatís why he brought in Carol. He didn't offer a contract to Liriano because he was so inconsistent. Can you see the parallel with Liriano and Casilla?? Both can be great at times but wildly inconsistent. Because of that, Casilla will be gone next year, unless he has a very good, consistent last two months of the season.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Gotta love cherry-picking numbers.
    Yet 90% of the people around here think Terry Ryan should have brought in more value in trade for Liriano because of HIS numbers since May.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    drjim
    So if you are a fan, how do YOU anyalyze defense if you dont count errors, UZR, fielding percentage............curious
    I don't really rate defense and believe as a lay fan that I don't have the tools. I may take a cursory look at almost any set of numbers and try to understand them in context, but I would much rather read scouting reports.
    Papers...business papers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12