Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Casilla's defense

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,219
    Like
    15
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26

    Casilla's defense

    Watching Casilla get regular play this week, I wonder what the Twins plan for him.

    Should they continue to give him regular time when Plouffe returns?

    His one outstanding measure this year is UZR. Can his defense carry his bat? The new frontier in baseball understanding is defense impact on wins. I hope the Twins are pioneers I this area. Maybe defense means very little and batting is everything. Maybe not.

    I suggest the Twins start him regularly at 2B the rest of the way. Let's see if he can maintain his UZR.

    Trade Carroll for anything. Push his 3.75 to pitching.

  2. #2
    I dont believe anyone in the Twins organization understands what a UZR is...........

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    I was making the same argument, that his defense warranted his place in the lineup, earlier this year, back when he was hitting around .240. He's fallen off at the plate, though, the past month or so, and it's harder to make that argument now. With the acquisition of Escobar and with Nishioka starting to shape up in Rochester, I would be very surprised if he is offered arbitration after the season is over.

    I agree fully on Carroll.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I dont believe anyone in the Twins organization understands what a UZR is...........
    I consider that a net positive for the Twins organization.

    At best, UZR can provide some information about who was a good defender 2-3 years after it happened.
    Papers...business papers.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,420
    Like
    63
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Trade Carroll for anything. Push his 3.75 to pitching.
    Easier said than done. If they can do it Fantastique! Money well saved and hopefully allocated to acquiring an upside player.

  6. #6
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    2,522
    Like
    80
    Liked 126 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    25
    I don't buy UZR either, but I do see a guy who makes a lot of fine plays. I've said on other threads that the Twins should play Casilla. I also said yesterday before the game that Casilla would probably be riding the pine when Valencia was recalled and he had earned that demotion. When everybody else is hitting, Casilla's poor offense isn't so noticeable, but the numbers don't lie--he just hasn't hit enough this year.

  7. #7
    I am a huge believer of UZR. Hate judging defensive players by errors as official scoring is horrendous league wide.
    Also hate listening to announcers continually saying a guy is an excellent defender when the numbers tell a different story. Some unfortunately judge a guy by the great highlight type plays also....doesnt show the plays he should have made that wasnt ruled an error.
    UZR may not be perfect, but its better than goin on reputation/other numbers available

  8. #8
    You say his UZR is outstanding, we'll, what is it exactly?

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I am a huge believer of UZR. Hate judging defensive players by errors as official scoring is horrendous league wide.
    Also hate listening to announcers continually saying a guy is an excellent defender when the numbers tell a different story. Some unfortunately judge a guy by the great highlight type plays also....doesnt show the plays he should have made that wasnt ruled an error.
    UZR may not be perfect, but its better than goin on reputation/other numbers available
    I'm pretty sure no one takes errors/fielding percentage seriously. And who cares what an announcer says?

    Based on the interview that Ryan did with SABR a couple of weeks ago, I would guess they look at UZR and runs saved and all the other statistical measurements currently available, but don't value them nearly as high as scouting reports. And they shouldn't.
    Papers...business papers.

  10. #10
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,610
    Like
    802
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I'm pretty sure no one takes errors/fielding percentage seriously.
    You mean other than the vast majority of baseball fans that don't know any better?


    Or are you referring to front office people?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    You mean other than the vast majority of baseball fans that don't know any better?


    Or are you referring to front office people?
    Anyone that takes analyzing defense seriously.
    Papers...business papers.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    269
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Since Liriano has been traded, is Casilla the only Spanish speaking player left on the 25 man?

  13. #13
    drjim
    So if you are a fan, how do YOU anyalyze defense if you dont count errors, UZR, fielding percentage............curious

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    Since Liriano has been traded, is Casilla the only Spanish speaking player left on the 25 man?
    Sam Deduno & Luis Perdomo Id guess
    of course, Drew Butera cause there is nothing Drew cannot do

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Too bad Drew can't hit as well as he can pitch, he could work his "latino whisperer" magic on Casilla

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,613
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    On a rebuilding team there is zero room for a guy like Casilla, I'd prefer they trade him for anything at this point as I can't see them offering him a contract heading into next season.

  17. #17
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    On a rebuilding team there is zero room for a guy like Casilla, I'd prefer they trade him for anything at this point as I can't see them offering him a contract heading into next season.
    WHOA WHOA WHOA...I thought the Twins were gonna be right in the thick of the postseason hunt next season?

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,613
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    WHOA WHOA WHOA...I thought the Twins were gonna be right in the thick of the postseason hunt next season?
    The Twins are rebuilding, that doens't mean they still can't put together a club capable of competeing if things break right in 2013. I never said they were going to be in the thick of anything, just that in this division if they can address the SP issues successfully through trades and FA they could have a shot as long as things break right (Gibson and Hendriks would need to step up, Mauer/Morneau/Willingham healthy etc).

    They are a .500 team since May,they aren't nearly as far away as the chicken littles of this board are claiming.

  19. #19
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    They are a .500 team since May,they aren't nearly as far away as the chicken littles of this board are claiming.
    Gotta love cherry-picking numbers.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,071
    Like
    97
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I hear the Twins are a 1.000 team since Friday. Why aren't we buying?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.