Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Starting Pitcher(s) Do the Twins Go After in FA?

Which Starting Pitcher(s) Do the Twins Go After in FA?

There appears to be a bevy of mediocre to slightly above average pitchers about to hit FA at season's end and there's also a strong belief/desire among Twins fans that the team is going to attempt to fill out their rotation by signing at least one, if not more of them. But, and this may just be the pessimism in me, the Twins don't strike me as the kind of team that will make a run at say a James Shields. If I had to guess I'd say we're more likely to see them re-uping with Pavano, or perhaps gasp Scott Baker. If I had guess with slightly more optimism I'd say they invest in reinforcing Gardy's door and make a run at Kyle Lohse.

But that's just me. What does everyone else think?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Edwin Jackson since he fired Scott Boras

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They will need to factor in a forfeited pick if they go after Jackson who will probably be offered a comp level contract. The pick will be in round 2 unless the Twins move up in the overall standings.

Since Greinke and Sanchez or even Liriano can not result in a comp pick, I am not sure how the qualifying offer would factor in. Teams may not have to give up a pick to sign them. In other words, the new CBA may result in a group of pitchers whose signing results in a loss of a pick (Jackson) and others who may not (Sanchez).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    There is about 25 million dollars coming off the books.
    Where does that go?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Marquis, Livan, Pavano are all free agents...

Seriously I don't think that they will go after any of the "big names" because they refuse to give anything more than a 2-3 year contract to pitchers. That will make lots of them out of their reach. They might go after someone like Anibal Sanchez, that's about it.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Marquis, Livan, Pavano are all free agents...

Seriously I don't think that they will go after any of the "big names" because they refuse to give anything more than a 2-3 year contract to pitchers. That will make lots of them out of their reach. They might go after someone like Anibal Sanchez, that's about it.
    Normally this would be a fun thread (for another organization). Everything Thrylos has said is correct. If they sign a guy like Sanchez - that's decent, but probably unlikely. It's probably best to not speculate anymore... all it will bring is false hope, followed by anger and disappointment in the off season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I think they'll sign 2 pitchers, both of whom are willing to take a 3 year or less contract. Not sure who that is, but that's my guess, for good or ill.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I think the best pitcher the Twins could be interested in would be Dan Haren, who's sorta having a bad year. They've liked him in the past and he doesn't walk anyone, a major plus. He was hurt this year which should lower his price tag.

I don't think the Twins will be on Grienke but the Twins were linked to rumors of Buehrle this offseason so I think they might be willing to spend a bit more than we pessimistically think.

Shaun Marcum, Colby Lewis, Anibal Sanchez, Edwin Jackson, Chris Young, Brandon McCarthy, Rich Harden, Scott Baker, Joe Saunders. These are the guys they go after, probably whoever is leftover after the first wave of signings. They probably end up with Scott Baker and someone worse than the people on this list.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    I wouldn't mind two of Colby Lewis, Sanchez, McCarthy and Harden.

Also throw Baker an incentive laden deal and plan on having Gibson, Hendriks, DeDundo, Walters, etc fight it out for the last couple spots. (Diamond is a lock at this point)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Depends on how Deduno, Devries, Manship, Hernandez and Blackburn do while teams are still trying. When rosters are expanded and teams are not trying it would depend on how Hendricks does. If only one out of the 6 works out, the Twins have a lot of starting pitching to find. If two look like they will do, the Twins have to consider a FA. If three of them look serviceable, I doubt the Twins will do anything. Bromberg has another month of AAA to show his potential. Hermsen and Hirschfield could have midseason potential as well as Gibson. The Twins might just try the band aid approach if they like what they see in their future pitchers. The likelihood of the Twins spending large money is very small.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think the best pitcher the Twins could be interested in would be Dan Haren, who's sorta having a bad year. They've liked him in the past and he doesn't walk anyone, a major plus. He was hurt this year which should lower his price tag.

I don't think the Twins will be on Grienke but the Twins were linked to rumors of Buehrle this offseason so I think they might be willing to spend a bit more than we pessimistically think.
    With Buehrle's track record of pitching it made sense to go after him. If Grienke discovers he does not like living in LA then teams like the Twins have a shot at signing him.

Colby Lewis is about to have flexor tendon surgery & is out 9-12months so he's out
    Isnt Rich Harden retired??

Here's a name I mentioned last week & I honestly think its gonna happen.....Jeremey Guthrie...my arguement....
    Will be 34 next yr & would easily take a 2 yr deal.
    Rough year, but had a 3.67 road ERA w/COL before bein dealt to KC
    Always pitched well vs MN before last SUN.....8gm 2.70ERA
    Career w/ BALT (hitters park) 4.12ERA & .264BAA
    92.7mph fastball this yr is equal to his career average
    Good control 2/1 K/bb....
    all Twins type of pitcher

If Deduno, DeVries, Walters, Manship, Herandez and Blackburn take up more than one spot, I will be kinda pissed. Diamond can have a slot, Hendriks or Gibson can have one, the rest of the bunch (probably Blackburn) can have another, one I guess. We need AT LEAST 2 pitchers from outside the organization.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    If Deduno, DeVries, Walters, Manship, Herandez and Blackburn take up more than one spot, I will be kinda pissed. Diamond can have a slot, Hendriks or Gibson can have one, the rest of the bunch (probably Blackburn) can have another, one I guess. We need AT LEAST 2 pitchers from outside the organization.
    To be honest I would be very dissapointed if both Gibson and Hendriks aren't big parts of the rotation next year (maybe not right out of ST, but by May/June)

Diamond, Gibson, Hendriks, FA/Trade, FA/Trade.

DeDuno, Hernandez, DeVries, Walters, Blackburn, Baker? (cheap contract when he recovers) waiting in the wings.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    To be honest I would be very dissapointed if both Gibson and Hendriks aren't big parts of the rotation next year (maybe not right out of ST, but by May/June)

Diamond, Gibson, Hendriks, FA/Trade, FA/Trade.

DeDuno, Hernandez, DeVries, Walters, Blackburn, Baker? (cheap contract when he recovers) waiting in the wings.

Thinking the way this Twins' management does (and I hope they are all gone before next season), you got:
    Blackburn and Diamond as locks. Then Duensing as an almost lock. Then they will add a "proven veteran" a la Marquis or Pavano or Livan on an one year deal and the last one will probably be Hendriks or Deduno. That is how they will start the season. By mid-season 3-4 more starters from the minors will be called up to replace a few of those.

That's these Twins' way.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 07-29-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    There is about 25 million dollars coming off the books.
    Where does that go?
    where else pohlads pockets

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Here's a pretty reliable payroll: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...wg&output=html it's from Cots baseball contracts.

The Twins will have a lot of leeway to make additions through FA, if they wanted to. I wonder if the Twins might consider moving Span in the offseason (if he's not moved at the deadline) and spending money on a RF, like Ross or Swisher, or a shortstop like Drew, over a big FA pitcher.

Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    where else pohlads pockets

Well, since an article the other day pointed out that Target Field Revenues are down 11% this year (I think it was on Twinkie Town quoting another source), I'm guessing we see the payroll drop at least 6-8%.

Payroll will drop again, because the Pohlads think that the best way to make money is to try and have even fewer people show up next year to watch a team that has no chance of competing. Its a brilliant business strategy, really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast