Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: morneau after deadline

morneau after deadline

Could we do all right trading morneau after the deadline with teams not wanting to take on his contract through waivers?

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They won't take that chance.....and they should'nt. Trade him by Tuesday or wait until the winter or just keep him, they have to get something for him.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it would be a good bet, and if somebody does claim him you just cancel the deal and pull him back off the waiver wire. You're allowed to do that once a year for each player.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morneau is a prime candidate for an August trade
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see the Twins trading him at this juncture. They would have to pay most of his salary to get an okay return or they would give him away for nothing to rid themselves of his salary. I know there are quite a few on this site who don't give a hoot about Justin anymore and would not mind him being jettisoned. I hope Justin sticks with the Twins, reclaims 90%+ of his baseball abilities and remains the Twins First Baseman throughout this contract and next contract.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, from a value standpoint, it makes no sense to dump him now... If his improvement continues, I'd bet he'd fetch quite a nice haul next season at the deadline.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins will absolutely place Morneau on waivers. Teams do it every year to see who's interested in their guys.

He'll absolutely go unclaimed, because no one will risk just taking on that contract.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know; if the Dodgers are willing to eat his salary like they did with Hanley Ramirez, the Twins might have an interested party in Morneau.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    He would almost certainly clear waivers. And if he didn't, let the claiming team have him. I'd much rather have Parmalee and $14 million to spend on another pitcher next year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If Rios got claimed, I don't find it impossible that someone would put in for him. It's one year.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    yeah, from a value standpoint, it makes no sense to dump him now... If his improvement continues, I'd bet he'd fetch quite a nice haul next season at the deadline.
    Except that you've paid $14M for that haul.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Morneau is a prime candidate for an August trade
    I agree.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    He would almost certainly clear waivers. And if he didn't, let the claiming team have him. I'd much rather have Parmalee and $14 million to spend on another pitcher next year.
    2 things....
    1) after what ryan got for frankie , do you trust him to get anything for morneau? after all he got 20,000 for thome and 1 year later the phillys got a #3and a#8 prospect for him
    2) do you think ceo jim pohlad would allow 15 million to be spent on a pitcher?, ryan will probally offer baker a contract and maybe bartolo colon 1 also, if he cant lure jaimie moyer out of retirement ..

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins, if they don't get the right deal in August, should keep Mornie until the winter while letting him build his trade value, then shop him in the winter. Again, if you don't get what you are looking for, keep him until the deadline next year. Unfortunately, it would take away $14 million that Ryan could spend on a pitcher. So I think the Twins move him in the offseason and sign a pitcher or two with the money saved from his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    2 things....
    1) after what ryan got for frankie , do you trust him to get anything for morneau? after all he got 20,000 for thome and 1 year later the phillys got a #3and a#8 prospect for him
    2) do you think ceo jim pohlad would allow 15 million to be spent on a pitcher?, ryan will probally offer baker a contract and maybe bartolo colon 1 also, if he cant lure jaimie moyer out of retirement ..

1. Terry Ryan didn't trade Jim Thome. 2. The Liriano trade is better than most think, we got two big league players for him, give it time. 3. Terry Ryan's free agent moves were very good this year, actually I would say outstanding. Willingham, Carrol, Doumit, Burton , u can't really complain about his one miss...... Marquis

If a team claims a player, they do have to take him. The ownership team can haul him off the wire, or negotiate a modest prospect player trade. But a team can't claim and then not take the player...unless the team that owns the player decides not to let them go. Teams send players thru waivers at different times, too. Some do their whole roster at one point, just to get an idea of interest.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Instead of paying 8+ million of his salary this year/next year to bring back nothing of value this year in a trade?

No team is going to take on that contract outright at this point, and no team is certainly going to take that contract and give back some nice prospect at that same time. might as well hope he continues his recent hot streak and becomes a desirable big bat at the deadline next season if the Twins are out of it (ala Carlos Beltran last year)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    You can pretty much count on paying that salary regardless if it's this year or next year. I would be shocked if a team claimed him and if there is a trade then the Twins will be picking up at least half. Maybe the Twins can add a decent prospect at the next deadline for him. Maybe not but right now they would be lucky to land Eduardo Escobar unless they paid the entire salary.

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Why does anyone care about Morneau's salary? Where are they going to spend that money in 2013?

Trading Morneau now for little or nothing except salary relief is senseless, unless they're going to turn around and pick up Cliff Lee's remaining $100M. And call me crazy, but I don't see that happening.

Continually selling low, seemingly the Twins preferred strategy since Bill Smith took over, is not the way to make the future rosier. I hope JR is smarter than that.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries

You will pay this regardless.... but if he continues to move towards his former self, what you get back will be much, much better... if he stays the same, what you get back will be the same as what you would get now if you paid 14M for that haul...

Like I said before, I don't see Justin moving unless someone is willing to severely overpay for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast