Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise: "R&R" does not work for Wimmers' elbow

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Surprise: "R&R" does not work for Wimmers' elbow

Apparently Wimmers has suffered a "setback" Not sure whether TJ is the next step, but add another casualty to the Twins' medical staff and the 'rest and rehab' method. This situation just cannot continue...

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 498 Posts
    I see that dankind was all over it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Does this suprise anyone? Didn't think so.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is madening. The Twins are so stupid sometimes

someone should have to answer to the thought process in this.....have the surgery in April & be ready for next year.
    If rest works, you're back in late July/Aug & pitch only a handful of innings & still dont know if it worked

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I see that dankind was all over it.
    It's cute how many spambots Danny has following him.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This team is a joke from top to bottom and there's zero accountability for screwups throughout.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He still misses all of next season if surgery was in April or August, you just don't do surgery for ache or pain.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TJ in April 2012 = Pitching in April/May 2013... TJ in August 2012 = Pitching in August/September 2013 (No minor league games after 1st week in September) Seems like a big difference to me. Partially torn UCL is not just an ache or pain.

Remember when TR said he was going to address the medical staff during his first presser as GM? The guy is just protecting his buddies so they can continue collecting paychecks. TR is a nice guy but at some point the Polads need to realize that this nice/cheap GM is killing this organization.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post
    He still misses all of next season if surgery was in April or August, you just don't do surgery for ache or pain.
    What??? Kyle Gibson got the surgery last September and he started pitching competitively on July 10. If Wimmers had it done in April he could've been ready to pitch by opening day next year. The Twins took at least 3 months of valuable development time from him.

And as for saying you don't do surgery for ache or pain...Yeah I am jumping to conclusions here but I'm pretty confident that the MRI is going to show no improvement on the UCL and they will eventually decide to do the surgery. Its just too predictable...
    Last edited by righty8383; 07-29-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Yeah, I don't think there are too many Twins fans who didn't see this coming....the medical staff has been mucking things up for years now. They need to be replaced immediately following the season....or sooner, if possible.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 756 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post
    this wasn't an ache or pain, it was a partially torn UCL that everyone and his brother said would lead to this. You do Tommy John in April, and he's pitching next year.... Now he won't be.

why ANYONE tries the 3/4month rest/rehab baffles me as I dont believe its worked for anyone. Aroldis Vizcaino of ATL was able to put it off a yr or so in 2010 & is considered a success story before he needed TJ this yr.
    I dont think there is a success story of rehab, is there???

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Apparently Wimmers has suffered a "setback" Not sure whether TJ is the next step, but add another casualty to the Twins' medical staff and the 'rest and rehab' method. This situation just cannot continue...
    Has anyone looked at other organizations to see the prevalence of this kind of thing with them too. It seems egregious right now, but I would like a comparison.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Has anyone looked at other organizations to see the prevalence of this kind of thing with them too. It seems egregious right now, but I would like a comparison.
    I think it might have just happened to Naftali Feliz as well. Hard to tell what happens in other organizations unless you follow all their MiLB systems. BA might have an answer

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think it might have just happened to Naftali Feliz as well. Hard to tell what happens in other organizations unless you follow all their MiLB systems. BA might have an answer
    Royals have had 6 pitchers get TJ surgery thus far this year.

I hate how long they waited on this one, but surgery should always be the last option. Let's hope Wimmers doesn't need TJ but if he does he gets it done sooner rather than later.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Royals have had 6 pitchers get TJ surgery thus far this year.

I hate how long they waited on this one, but surgery should always be the last option. Let's hope Wimmers doesn't need TJ but if he does he gets it done sooner rather than later.

I know about the Royals. But those were right away, no R&R, right?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 756 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember reading somewhere that it works 50% of the time, though I agree I haven't heard of many examples... I do know there are a couple out there, but none come to mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast