Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Ten Things I HATE About The Liriano Trade

Liriano is a rental, period. So who cares that he was traded to the Sox. Now the Twins have to prove that they can hit him.

Someone compared it to getting Tolbert and Manship. Except the pitcher is a lefty and both are 23. Both can go back-and-forth to the minors for a few more years. Both probably means the Twins will say goodbye to Florimon and Bromberg this winter (which may not be all that bad).

The Twins can offer Liriano a free agent contract and see what people are willing to overpay. Of course, if he goes 10-1 with the Sox, the Twins won't be signing him.

Somehow, Liriano trade actually improves the Sox rotation.

It suddenly makes me realize that Span really isn't all the worthy of a great return. Think about it.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhawaii View Post
    Another thing I hate is that twins might be done trading now.. that'd be crappy work from Ryan..
    Who else should they really trade now?
    If someone isn't offering good value for Morneau, Span, Willingham, Perkins, Burton etc there is no reason to trade them for the sake of trading them. I'm all for dumping Span if we get some good players in return, but if the offers aren't there you can't make the trade.

People blast Ryan for taking a crappy package for Liriano and then they bitch about him not trading more players....yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

I'd also love for someone to point out the last time someone traded a 28 year old 5+ ERA pitcher(2 years in a row) for anything of substantial value in the past.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post

It suddenly makes me realize that Span really isn't all the worthy of a great return. Think about it.
    That's making me nervous as well... The Market for leadoff hitters or OF'ers has been so dang slow to this point. Victorino and Span are both out there along with Pierre.

Span has to bring a top shelf arm... If not... Let's keep him. Span isn't going anywhere unless the Twins send him away. No need to send him away unless we get something real decent in return.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Who else should they really trade now?
    If someone isn't offering good value for Morneau, Span, Willingham, Perkins, Burton etc there is no reason to trade them for the sake of trading them. I'm all for dumping Span if we get some good players in return, but if the offers aren't there you can't make the trade.

People blast Ryan for taking a crappy package for Liriano and then they bitch about him not trading more players....yeah, that makes a ton of sense.
    Earlier, you said how do you know TR hasn't tried to sign Liriano.

Knowing TR's past, one could also suggest that he received a good deal for Span, but is over valuing him and his team friendly contract. I really have a hard time believing that we couldn't get a resonable deal for Span who plays in our deepest area of prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    Knowing TR's past, one could also suggest that he received a good deal for Span, but is over valuing him and his team friendly contract.
    Yeah, this is just bull****. What "past" examples are you talking about? Do you and Thrylos share sources that share these imaginary "the Twins wouldn't trade Willingham for Bundy straight up" scenarios?

I have yet to see one reported offer for Span or any other Twin player yet.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    I'd have rather gotten Sanchez or Guthrie.

KC and Colorado both did better than us.

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32. I hate it that the twins get rid of players with high up side instead of the management team that can't seem to handle the players that do way better when they get away from them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Nice list...
    Lighten up Francis....

I am now convinced that either Spirit of Dave is Terry Ryan himself or he is the biggest Twins FO booster on earth. How can a guy continually praise the FO especially Ryan when his scouting/drafting has left the Twins with a terrible MiL system and a 90+ loss team in the MLB? Seriously, this guy and his good old boys are clueless.

There is no way this team improves over the next 5 years unless they get some starting pitching prospects. That means Span, Willy, and everyone else should be traded NOW. It does them no good to have favorable contracts with hitters when we know they are a 90-100 loss team with those same affordable guys around.

Ryan needs to be FIRED immediately before this SHIP SINKS!

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    I hate that the Twins just seem to keep doing the same thing over and over.

New ideas, energy and enthusisasm in the front office and field staffs, PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    This.
    Which players sans David Ortiz has gone onto some better career after they left the Twins?
    Garza? Not really as he was already effective on the Twins, even though that trade certainly sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    32. I hate it that the twins get rid of players with high up side instead of the management team that can't seem to handle the players that do way better when they get away from them.
    Spot on! It is a time for a complete organizational overhaul from the GM to the coaches to the medical staff.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I'd have rather gotten Sanchez or Guthrie.

KC and Colorado both did better than us.
    How does Sanchez solve anything moving forward though?

Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    I am now convinced that either Spirit of Dave is Terry Ryan himself or he is the biggest Twins FO booster on earth. How can a guy continually praise the FO especially Ryan when his scouting/drafting has left the Twins with a terrible MiL system and a 90+ loss team in the MLB? Seriously, this guy and his good old boys are clueless.

There is no way this team improves over the next 5 years unless they get some starting pitching prospects. That means Span, Willy, and everyone else should be traded NOW. It does them no good to have favorable contracts with hitters when we know they are a 90-100 loss team with those same affordable guys around.

Ryan needs to be FIRED immediately before this SHIP SINKS!
    I'm not praising Ryan for this trade, I'm just pointing out that it isn't the abortion many are thinking it is. The market sucked, and at the end of the day Liriano was a 5.3 ERA pitcher (5.09 last year), those guys aren't going to bring you back top 100 guys no matter how much you hope they do.

Until we hear of a specific trade package that Ryan turned down for Span/Willingham etc it's really stupid to bitch about him not trading them at this point. For all we know the teams have been offering C+ prospects for Span thus far. If you show me a report where the Twins turned down Cingrani or Hamilton for Span then I will agree that Ryan blew it.

I agree that Span needs to be traded at some point, but there is no reason to rush it as he will have plenty of value this off-season and on into next season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    I am now convinced that either Spirit of Dave is Terry Ryan!
    Could be... Vodkadave is pretty smart. I'll take his posts seriously in case he actually is Terry Ryan.

On the other side of the coin... Another thing to consider is that Terry Ryan kicked your puppy or something. lol.

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    Which players sans David Ortiz has gone onto some better career after they left the Twins?
    Garza? Not really as he was already effective on the Twins, even though that trade certainly sucked.

I changed my comment -- probably while you were writing this -- because I went back and re-read the original posters last sentence.

But I still believe that the Twins need an injection of new life in their management -- front office and field staff.

Blog Entries
    Another thing on Vodkadave. I read his first post on the Liriano Trade... It was a What the hell post and we were all thinking that at first. I then read vodkadave subsequently reason the trade out as the thread moved on.

He gets two points from me for that.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is anyone starting to get the impression that the other GMs know that it's not that hard to "outfox" our front office? Is the Twins FO that guy in our fantasy leagues that teams always try to make a deal with because sometimes they're dumb enough to hit the "accept" button when they meant to hit "decline"?

This deal had everything to do with the bottom line and barely anything to do with anything else. The Twins added some warm bodies... at positions of "need"... that do what the Twins like (throw strikes and play defense).

Yeah, this is just bull****. What "past" examples are you talking about? Do you and Thrylos share sources that share these imaginary "the Twins wouldn't trade Willingham for Bundy straight up" scenarios?

I have yet to see one reported offer for Span or any other Twin player yet.
    Okay internet tough guy...

I have yet to hear of any reported attempt to sign Liriano this year either, but that didn't stop you from writing that. Where are your examples, or are you full of ****?

Have you heard the man speak? Have you seen how he handled his past few trades? He can't live off the A.J. trade forever.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast