Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JO Berrios

JO Berrios

Didnt see an individual thread on the 32nd overall pick.
    Got his first start of year today for GCL goin 4IP 2h 6K.
    Was 7 days since his last appearance when he started getting stretched out goin 3IP 3K.
    Had also been 7 days since his last appearance before that....kind of curious I guess.
    Overall
    7gms 14IP 4h 1er 21k 2bb
    Time will tell, but I believe he's the organizations best pitching prospect....is he top 10 yet (maybe 6th after big 5)??
    Majority of other #1 picks have been moved to A ball for their 19 yr old season, so I expect him in Beloit next yr...not ELIZ but its hard to tell as MN hasnt drafted many high school pitchers this high for comparisons.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Didnt see an individual thread on the 32nd overall pick.
    Got his first start of year today for GCL goin 4IP 2h 6K.
    Was 7 days since his last appearance when he started getting stretched out goin 3IP 3K.
    Had also been 7 days since his last appearance before that....kind of curious I guess.
    Overall
    7gms 14IP 4h 1er 21k 2bb
    Time will tell, but I believe he's the organizations best pitching prospect....is he top 10 yet (maybe 6th after big 5)??
    Majority of other #1 picks have been moved to A ball for their 19 yr old season, so I expect him in Beloit next yr...not ELIZ but its hard to tell as MN hasnt drafted many high school pitchers this high for comparisons.
    very high on berrios - one of the top arms in the system without much doubt, though the frame is of some concern. it's hard to think of an example of a twins pitcher that has spent their age 19 season in low-a so i think your statement is incorrect - everyone seems to be going through e-town these days (think boyd and mata on this year's team and salcedo a couple years ago). that said, the twins haven't used many high picks on prep arms in recent years so the sample size is small. at any rate, berrios is good enough that he could forge his own path.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Hudson Boyd was a HS comp pick last year. He's still in E'ton, of course he didn't pitch for the orgainzation last year.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going with the precendence that's been set, E-town will be the likely destination.

However, JOB might have 50-60 professional innings under his belt by the end of the year and may even see a promotion this year. With that being said, I woukd be shocked if he headed to Beloit in April. But late May would be possible.

If Mn wants to start competing, they need to start treating their high draft picks like EVERY other team.
    Last yrs #1 drafted high school pitcher picks and where they are this yr as 19 yr olds
    Dylan Bundy 4th by Balt....started in Low A, now in High A
    Archie Bradley 7th by ARIZ....started in Low A (MWL) after 2 gms last yr
    Jose Fernandez 14th MIA....started in Low A, now in Florida St Lg (High A) after 2gms last yr
    Tyler Beede 21st by Tampa....didnt sign
    Taylor Gurerrieri 24th by Tampa....short season NY Penn Lg
    Joe Ross 25th by SD....hasnt pitched yet due to injury
    Robert Stephenson 27th by CIN....7gms in short season, now in Low A (MWL)
    Kevin Matthews 33rd by TEX....all year in Low A after 12gms in short season last yr
    Supplemental Round
    Henry Owens 36th overall by BOS....all year in Low A
    Michael Fulmer 44th overall by NYM...all year in Low A after 4gms in short season last yr
    Joe Musgrove 46th overall by TOR....2gms in App Lg after 9gm in GCL/App Lg last yr
    Michael Kelly 48th by SD....7gms in Low A (MWL) deomoted to short season
    Kyle Crick 49th by SF.....all yr in Low A after 7gms in short season last yr
    Blake Snell 52nd by Tampa....8gms in App Lg this yr after 11gms in GCL last yr
    Hudson Boyd 55th

2 of the picks above Boyd still in short season are Tampa's...which is interesting, do they go slow like MN??
    Only 1 other (TOR's Musgrove) have yet to be promoted above short season (hasnt pitched in a month tho) & he was dealt to HOU in the 10 player deal last wk
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 07-28-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    If Mn wants to start competing, they need to start treating their high draft picks like EVERY other team.
    Last yrs #1 drafted high school pitcher picks and where they are this yr as 19 yr olds
    Dylan Bundy 4th by Balt....started in Low A, now in High A
    Archie Bradley 7th by ARIZ....started in Low A (MWL) after 2 gms last yr
    Jose Fernandez 14th MIA....started in Low A, now in Florida St Lg (High A) after 2gms last yr
    Tyler Beede 21st by Tampa....didnt sign
    Taylor Gurerrieri 24th by Tampa....short season NY Penn Lg
    Joe Ross 25th by SD....hasnt pitched yet due to injury
    Robert Stephenson 27th by CIN....7gms in short season, now in Low A (MWL)
    Kevin Matthews 33rd by TEX....all year in Low A after 12gms in short season last yr
    Supplemental Round
    Henry Owens 36th overall by BOS....all year in Low A
    Michael Fulmer 44th overall by NYM...all year in Low A after 4gms in short season last yr
    Joe Musgrove 46th overall by TOR....2gms in App Lg after 9gm in GCL/App Lg last yr
    Michael Kelly 48th by SD....7gms in Low A (MWL) deomoted to short season
    Kyle Crick 49th by SF.....all yr in Low A after 7gms in short season last yr
    Blake Snell 52nd by Tampa....8gms in App Lg this yr after 11gms in GCL last yr
    Hudson Boyd 55th

2 of the picks above Boyd still in short season are Tampa's...which is interesting, do they go slow like MN??
    Only 1 other (TOR's Musgrove) have yet to be promoted above short season (hasnt pitched in a month tho) & he was dealt to HOU in the 10 player deal last wk
    This chart is a bit deceptive. How many of these high picks are college and how many are higschool pitchers? There's a big different in how you bring these guys along. The college picks will have lower ceilings but are far more advanced. The high school picks typically need more time, which is why the CBA gives them an extra year before they have to be added to the 40 man roster. Moving picks aggressively has a lot more to do with how well the kid is doing, and it should be done in a case by case scenario. Otherwise, you end up like the Mets who constantly push guys and have so many of their prospects just flame out....

Oh, and I'm not sure I'd be ready to crown Berrios top 10 just yet... He's close, but given how far back he is, he's probably more of a 10-15 type pick...

2010 high school first round picks (season they are 20)
    Jameson Taillon 2nd by Pitt....didnt pitch first yr, all 2nd yr in Low A, all 3rd yr in High A
    Karsten Whitson 9th by SD....didnt sign, went to Florida
    Dylan Covey 14th by MIL....didnt sign, went to U of San Diego
    Mike Foltynewicz 19th by Hou...APP Lg first yr (12st)......Low A last 2 but greatly improved this yr
    Jesse Biddle 27th by PHI.....GCL/NYP (12st) first yr.....Low A all of 11'....High A all yr this yr....been very solid
    Zach Lee 28th by LAD.....didnt pitch first yr.....Low A (MWL) all of last yr....High A & recent promotion to AA(where he has struggled)
    Cam Bedrosian 29th by LAA....short season in 10'.....had TJ surgery last yr....all this year in Low A (MWL)
    Cito Culver 32nd by NYY.....drafted as pitcher but moved to SS fulltime
    Supplemental Round
    Aaron Sanchez 34th by TOR....GCL/NYP first yr (10st)....APP Lg/another short season last yr.....Low A in 12(MWL)
    Noah Syndergaard 38th by TOR...GCL first yr (5st)....short season yr 2 w/2 Low A starts.....all yr in Low A (MWL) this yr
    Taijuan Walker 43rd by SEA....4 relief gms in AZL in first yr......all yr in Low A (MWL) last yr.....jumped to AA or all of this yr
    Luke Jackson 45th by TEX....didnt pitch first yr....Low A all of last yr.....Low A (13st) before High A (7st) promotion
    Peter Tago 47th by COL....didnt pitch first yr.....Low A all of first yr.....demoted to short season for all of this yr
    Tyrell Jenkins 50th by StL....2APP Lg gm first yr.....App Lg all of 2nd yr (11st).....Low A (MWL) all of this yr

between the 2 drafts, I see Toronto is every bit as conservative as anyone.
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 07-28-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    This chart is a bit deceptive. How many of these high picks are college and how many are higschool pitchers? There's a big different in how you bring these guys along. The college picks will have lower ceilings but are far more advanced. The high school picks typically need more time, which is why the CBA gives them an extra year before they have to be added to the 40 man roster. Moving picks aggressively has a lot more to do with how well the kid is doing, and it should be done in a case by case scenario. Otherwise, you end up like the Mets who constantly push guys and have so many of their prospects just flame out....

Oh, and I'm not sure I'd be ready to crown Berrios top 10 just yet... He's close, but given how far back he is, he's probably more of a 10-15 type pick...
    They were ALL high school picks....no college picks in there

Salcedo & Mata for example were free agents who signed early so Im not including them ....only US high school #1 draft picks.

Slightly disagree that Berrios cant be that high as he's just drafted.....There arel high school pitchers in the top 100 the next yr after bein drafted...not a teams top 10/15 (Zach Lee was 89th overall by BAmerica before ever throwing a professional pitch & was drafted 28th) & Berrios is actually ahead of pitchers from the past few yrs, with the new signing period, as he gets a full season in to develop. He only gets/stays that high if he continues to dominate this yr obviously
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 07-28-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Seeing as how the Twins have a total of 7 starts from 21-year-olds since Terry Ryan took over, I think it's safe to assume Barrios will also get the cautious approach. The starts in question were three from Santana and four from Liriano, neither of which was drafted by the Twins and both were playing in Latin American acadamies instead of American high schools. Additionally, had Santana not been a Rule V pick, the Twins would not have had him on the 25-man roster. If you want to throw in Pat Mahomes' eight starts as a 21-year-old under Andy McPhail, that's a total of 15 starts from 21-year-olds since the team moved out of Met Stadium.

I'm not getting my hopes up for early promotions for the high school arms.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Please don't compare berrios to Bundy. There is no reason to rush him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Please don't compare berrios to Bundy. There is no reason to rush him at this point.
    dont think there was a Bundy reference, just every other high school first rounder before & after him for the last 2 drafts.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Terry Ryan says he's pitching his way out of this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Terry Ryan says he's pitching his way out of this level.
    nice

First start for ELIZ tonight......so far 3 perfect innings with 4K
    Night finished with 4IP 1h 1bb 5k....sweet
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 08-11-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    This is what caught my eye from the article.

With numbers like those, the 18-year-old right-hander has made his debut season look easy. According to him, however, it's been the opposite. "It hasn't been easy," Berrios said. "I've been working really hard just to do well here so far. Everything I do goes toward my goal of making it to the big leagues someday."

Sounds like the kid knows what he wants and knows he has to work for it. It will be interesting to see how this maturity moves him through the system. He will be fun to watch over the next couple of seasons.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post

With numbers like those, the 18-year-old right-hander has made his debut season look easy. According to him, however, it's been the opposite. "It hasn't been easy," Berrios said. "I've been working really hard just to do well here so far. Everything I do goes toward my goal of making it to the big leagues someday."

Sounds like the kid knows what he wants and knows he has to work for it. It will be interesting to see how this maturity moves him through the system. He will be fun to watch over the next couple of seasons.
    15K/9 so far, but the naysayers keep screaming: "Low Ceiling!" I hope they're proven wrong. As in the above quote, wha't not to like how he's handling himself so far?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

15K/9 so far, but the naysayers keep screaming: "Low Ceiling!" I hope they're proven wrong. As in the above quote, wha't not to like how he's handling himself so far?
    i don't think anyone is saying he has a low ceiling, just that there's not a lot of projection on the frame. two different things. berrios has no.2 starter potetntial.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

i don't think anyone is saying he has a low ceiling, just that there's not a lot of projection on the frame. two different things. berrios has no.2 starter potetntial.
    Basically this, if he did happen to have a lot more projection on the fram we would have been talking about an early 1st round pick instead of a supp round pick.

Hopefully he can become a special player for us, but there is a long ways to go obviously.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think he is a low ceiling guy. He has plus pitches and seems to be a hard worker. I'm not to concerned about the slight frame yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast