Thread: Joe Christensen: Valencia Replaces Injured Plouffe

Joe Christensen: Valencia Replaces Injured Plouffe

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    So what do we get out of Danny this time around? He definately spent enough time in Rochester to think things over and appreciate the position he was in and the opportunities that may or may not lay ahead. It also had to be eye opening to see the results of Plouffe and the real possibility that he may never get another chance at the major league level with the Twins.

Was he humbled? Was that one of his problems? Perhaps he played above what could be expected long term in 2010 and that both 2011 and so far in 2012 were more of his normal level of play. I'm sure he sees this as a huge chance to prove that he belongs in the majors and will give us the best he has got for the next week. I'm sure he will get a lot of time at 3rd until Plouffe comes off the DL.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    So what do we get out of Danny this time around? He definately spent enough time in Rochester to think things over and appreciate the position he was in and the opportunities that may or may not lay ahead. It also had to be eye opening to see the results of Plouffe and the real possibility that he may never get another chance at the major league level with the Twins.

Was he humbled? Was that one of his problems? Perhaps he played above what could be expected long term in 2010 and that both 2011 and so far in 2012 were more of his normal level of play. I'm sure he sees this as a huge chance to prove that he belongs in the majors and will give us the best he has got for the next week. I'm sure he will get a lot of time at 3rd until Plouffe comes off the DL.
    you mean like parmele got in his 3 day stint?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    No, I think Parmelee is in a totally different situation. Danny already had his chance, he got almost two full seasons of playing time. He literally played himself out of his position. As most agreed by most, Gardy didn't even have anyone to replace him at the time, but his play (attitude) had gotten to the point where they had to send him down.

Parmelee has never had his chance to prove his worth, other than last September. I think you are implying that it is tough to prove you belong when you only get spot starts and a few pinch hitting AB's.

Liked 668 Times in 430 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First defensive play back from the minors and he waits for the ball to come to him with one out and a runner on third. If he charges... Shoo could have been out at the plate.

Im pulling for the kid but I'm sorry... I don't think he's pulling for himself. You'd think his trip to AAA would be a wake up call.

I was hoping at least.

If I was Deduno... I'd be pissed. I'm not Deduno and I'm kinda pissed.

Blog Entries
    Still chasing... I don't mean to be down on the guy but he's still doing the same things.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I hope he tears the cover off the ball and the Twins find room for him and Plouffe once a couple trades happen. Hopefully Valencia brings back his trade value, or at least boosts himself so he could become at least a secondary piece of a multi-player trade this off season.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Valencia is yesterday's news. We might be dealing with a reprint of him today, tomorrow and maybe the next day and the day after that - but his ship has sailed.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since his return, 5 of 18 with a double and a HR. Also 4K vs 1BB.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Even when Ploufee is back I'd stil keep Valencia around. A little 3rd, give Morneau a day off against lefties at 1B, Doumit's OPS is about .150 points lower against lefties so he could DH some too and I'll take his bat off the bench.

There's still a role for Valencia in the major.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Doumit's OPS is about .150 points lower against lefties .
    I had been meaning to look that up actually. He seems like he just flails from the right side - as if he's a totally different player. Numbers back that up.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I had been meaning to look that up actually. He seems like he just flails from the right side - as if he's a totally different player. Numbers back that up.
    .842 OPS against righties
    .676 OPS against lefties

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    .842 OPS against righties
    .676 OPS against lefties
    Am I crazy or does he look even more incompetent than that from the right side? Some of his at-bats are brutal to watch against left-handed starers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I will say one thing. I go to a lot of games, and used to sit right by Placenta when he was up last time. His whole demeanor on the field has changed. He doesn't puff his little chest out quite as much, he doesn't check the video board as much, and he seems to run a little more upright back and forth to and from the dugout. I think he will be sure not to say or do anything to piss anyone off this time around.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Am I crazy or does he look even more incompetent than that from the right side? Some of his at-bats are brutal to watch against left-handed starers.
    Yeah I'd say so, if the Twins could get a guy like Shoppach that would be a pretty damn good backup platoon. Doumit and Shoppach and mixing Joey in there from time to time. Hell finally getting rid of Sal's kid would be worth it alone.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that Doumit's splits are a result of small sample size... His career splits are about equal with a bit better numbers as a LHB. I suspect as the season moves on, there will be a corrects Caveat: not sure whether he changed anything mechanically or whether there have been any issues (eg. if you have injuries/issues in one side of your body you are not at par)

Re: Valencia/Plouffe. I still believe that they both have a position in this team. You have to look at short term and long term here. I think intermediate/long term (say 2014/5) unless something happens, Sano will be the starter at 3B. Plouffe can play the OF and I think that once healthy would be silly not to have him play there (at least as often as Doumit does.) There is a numbers issue right now. Hope that Butera is the odd man out when Plouffe gets healthy because Mastroianni adds something to the team and Valencia needs to play too. If they have traded the centerfielder (which I hope they do the off-season to get some decent SPs) I can see Plouffe as the starting RF with Valencia the starting 3B next season..
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    A career OPS 100 points better as a lefty handed batter isn't really "about equal."
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    I hope he sticks with the club when Plouffe comes back. He can drive the ball when his head is on the ball.

Personally... My leash is pretty short with him though. It's up to Danny... It always has been.

It's too bad he doesn't have any Catching experience... At least that I know of. If he could add third catcher to his job description. It would be a nice plus.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I hope he sticks with the club when Plouffe comes back. He can drive the ball when his head is on the ball.

Personally... My leash is pretty short with him though. It's up to Danny... It always has been.

It's too bad he doesn't have any Catching experience... At least that I know of. If he could add third catcher to his job description. It would be a nice plus.
    And there's the rub. Sal Jr continues to make himself indispensible. The only way DVal would stick past Sunday is via waiver trade or going back to 12 pitchers with Perduno/Perdomo heading back to Perditiono.